Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Toll Plans

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I would suggest that everyone voices their disapproval over plans to increase the cash price of the toll to €3.

The alternative is an active RFID chip in your car where you can be tracked, and also the annual charge that you have to pay for the chip (around €40).

Infact demand that the toll is done away with altogeather as I have done.

Email info@transport.ie

I prefer a bit of freedom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebigshot wrote: »
    The alternative is an active RFID chip in your car where you can be tracked, and also the annual charge that you have to pay for the chip (around €40).

The prices have been outlined on a few threads already and start at around €10/€12. I dont think anyones opinion of €10 a year could strech it to mean "around €40"

You have plenty of freedom. You can choose to have the tag, pay by cash or not use the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 thebigshot

Stekelly wrote: »
    The prices have been outlined on a few threads already and start at around €10/€12. I dont think anyones opinion of €10 a year could strech it to mean "around €40".

Well for a start my old man has a chip, and the purchase cost alone is €40.

You have plenty of freedom. You can choose to have the tag, pay by cash or not use the bridge.

Don't be stupid, I am not a fan of the survelliance society,

Well for a start my old man has a chip, and the purchase cost alone is €40.

You said annual charge of €40, not purchase price.

How is it stupid? and how is it a surveilance society if you have a choice to opt out?

You said annual charge of €40, not purchase price.?

Just you give it time. It is called "the thin edge of the wedge" in business.

How is it stupid? and how is it a surveilance society if you have a choice to opt out?

And what other alternative have people got, they have to get to work. It takes long enough without venturing around Blanchardstown or the phoenix park.

It is called coercion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I could see the records on the M50 being used in criminal cases in the future. Similar to the Joe O'Reilly case and mobile phones.

They could see if your car passed a checkpoint and maybe check cameras for that time.
    And the barristers could ask "where were you at x time last Friday?"

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just interesting :)
    But offtopic for the motor forum though

• Advertisement

Just you give it time. It is called "the thin edge of the wedge" in business..

So you made it up and are covering it by your own assumption that the price will rise?

micmclo wrote: »
    I could see the records on the M50 being used in criminal cases in the future. Similar to the Joe O'Reilly case and mobile phones.

They could see if your car passed a checkpoint and maybe check cameras for that time.
    And the barristers could ask "where were you at x time last Friday?"

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just interesting :)
    But offtopic for the motor forum though

They could do the same with any traffic cameras already in place or with a parkign ticket etc.

I dotn see a problem in useing any means nessecary to catch criminals. Dont see it being a valid cause for complaint either. "but your honour, I know I murdered him, but it's not fair that you used my toll receipt to catch me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

The alternative is an active RFID chip in your car where you can be tracked

can this be used for recording your speed??????

"but your honour, I know I murdered him, but it's not fair that you used my toll receipt to catch me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

markos79 wrote: »
    The alternative is an active RFID chip in your car where you can be tracked can this be used for recording your speed??????
    "but your honour, I know I murdered him, but it's not fair that you used my toll receipt to catch me"
    Some of these devices are passive, only responding in a low-powered beam directed at them. They have a very short range and only work when close enough to a emitter/detector. This may be close enough at a toll plaza but insufficient on the open road.

An active system (i.e. where the car's emitter is powered), such as the AMB system used in car racing, could be very useful to motorists in managing their compliance with speed regulations.

There are also trials (outside of Ireland) which could monitor vehicle speed based on your mobile phone signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The increasing of the toll is worth protesting, I don't think RFID is though.

Aren't there already cameras at the Toll Plazas recording vehicle regs? Won't these be upgraded (if they're not already) to include licence plate recognition to allow them to catch people who don't pay the toll?

Whether you take the RFID or not you'll still be under surveillence - I think you're making too much of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Any one know the best routes to avoid it? Inner or outer options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

e-mail sent.

I should hope more people e-mail and make a pheking stand. This is shocking. We should also take to the rise now about the tunnel tolls. We paid for most of that tunnel to be built. And we have to paid mad prices to use it. 3 Euro after 10 at night ???? !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

James Bond-style rotating reg. plates FTW! :D

Surely you can still get Easy Pass tags when the new system comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Sandwich wrote: »
    Any one know the best routes to avoid it? Inner or outer options.
    I've tried it a few times, none of the routes I've found are particularly good though.

You can go off at the N4 exit, through Lucan village, up by Clonsilla, through Blanchardstown village and back onto the M50. You're not meant to turn left up by Fort Lucan though, and you can also get caught for ages at Clonsilla train station if the level crossing is closed.

Alternatively come off at the N4 and drive towards town, go through the Phoenix Park and back on at Blanchardstown. This involves either going through Castleknock or down Auburn Avenue though, which are both permanently jammed.

You could try varying route 2 by going through Chapelizod rather than the park but I think there's major roadworks there at the moment and you still end up in Castleknock anyway.

Basically the toll is the best of a bad lot from what I can see, although if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Is this active RFID chip different from the easy pass I just got this week,which incidently was free,just an inital charge of €40 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

What was wrong with the old system of tokens ?

My objection, apart from the rising prices obviously is that the chip cannot be transferred from car to car. I operate and travel in various vehicles regularly and dont intend to buy a chip for each one, since I dont use the M50 that often !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

MercMad wrote: »
    What was wrong with the old system of tokens ?

My objection, apart from the rising prices obviously is that the chip cannot be transferred from car to car. I operate and travel in various vehicles regularly and dont intend to buy a chip for each one, since I dont use the M50 that often !

They're offering three options - see http://www.eflow.ie/open_account.php

1) Get a tag
    2) Register your reg(s) and a payment mechanism (bank or cc I guess) and they'll read your reg when you use the brigde and charge you €2.50 a go
    3) Contact the payment line upto 8pm on the day after you use the bridge, supply your reg and pay €3.

Option 4 is don't pay - and they'll be in touch with a "notice" initailly for €6, which goes up over time if you don't pay - http://www.eflow.ie/enforcement.php

The site also mentions of payzone - looks like you can also pay using top-up like a pay as you go mobile....?

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I plan to avoid the bridge.

If enough people do that it will have a better effect than e-mailing them. Not only will they loose revenue, but they will come under increased pressure from residents & business along the alternative routes that would undoubtedly get clogged up. It would be better to have €1 from 100,000 motorists a day than have €3 from 10,000.

All I can say is to email them your thoughts;

info@transport.ie

As for the comments regarding my assertion that the cost will rise dramatically when this is introduced.

You see I use my experience of the past and apply it to this situation.

It will happen unless we make a stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The RFID tags are useless for tracking, they are passive and only activated when near a relevant reader, ie, at the toll booth. If it was a case of using GPS as some rather stupid posters have mentioned, I would be very wary of the surveillance society and being caught breaking the speed limit etc. RFID tags don't have these worrys.

astraboy wrote: »
    I would be very wary of the surveillance society and being caught breaking the speed limit etc. RFID tags don't have these worrys.

You are a bit late, mate. Have you travelled on the malahide road or the M1 lately. Cameras everywhere, up and down each individual lane and also being erected at this time around the M50 bridge.

Look up Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont have anything to hide personally so i wouldnt have an issue par se with a tag on cars. Its how the data is stored and used i would be interested in.

If people are not into the tags cos they dont want their illegal activities to be brought to the attention of the authorites, well we dont really give a toss about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I would suggest that everyone voices their disapproval over plans to increase the cash price of the toll to €3.

Infact demand that the toll is done away with altogeather as I have done.

Email info@transport.ie

Yet you probably have a mobile phone which is easily tracked whereas there's no infrastructure for rfid tracking.

It always irritated me how many people used the M50 without getting an Eazypass tag. People complained about the westlink delays but were happy to clog up the M50 while fumbling for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

E-mail sent, thought the main points outlined in mine were that the taxpayer has paid for the M50,M1,M11 and a private operator pays for a 500m bridge and then charges us to cross it. Either the gov. need to offer a viable alternative to the M50 or abolish the tolls. I sent the e-mail to:

seamusbrennan@dast.gov.ie
    seamus.brennan@oireachtas.ie
    minister@transport.ie
    info@transport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

As for avoiding the bridge, thats never gonna happen. How many people know of the rat run around the toll bridge? Its not signposted (god help an accompanied L-Driver who wants to obey the law and avoid a motorway, while going northbound) and it never will be because as said before, residents dont want half of Dublin bypassers going through their area.

Its such a scam. Someone should just organise a week-long protest of not paying the toll (they have to lift the barrier and let you by - they just take your details).

They dont have the resources to chase up a million non-paying citzens, and neither do the Gardai to enforce it. Problem solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Breezer wrote: »
    You can go off at the N4 exit, through Lucan village, up by Clonsilla, through Blanchardstown village and back onto the M50. You're not meant to turn left up by Fort Lucan though.
    Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just you give it time. It is called "the thin edge of the wedge" in business.

Its called 'economies of scale' and 'competition' - the tags have been getting cheaper as the number of tag issuers has increased. Mine costs 50c/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubtom wrote: »
    Is this active RFID chip different from the easy pass I just got this week,which incidently was free,just an inital charge of €40 credit.

Wasn't the original eazypass a number plate recognition system with a sticker on the car? Current eazypass's are RFID tags already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

fletch wrote: »
    Since when?
    Don't know to be honest, but I noticed the sign there the last time I did it, about 2 weeks ago.

Oh C.D., Noel Dempsey is the Minister for Transport these days. Brennan is Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

I am no fan of the Herald but at least they are running an anti-toll rip off campaign

Heres a link if you want to add your name to the petition they are collecting

"THOUSANDS of people have already signed up to the Herald's campaign to fight the unjust hikes in the M50 toll.

Keep up the momentum and get your friends and family to sign the Fight The Toll petition, which will be sent to Transport Minister Noel Dempsey.

315,000 people read the Herald daily - make sure your voice is heard on this issue and oppose the NRA's increase. "

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/evening-herald-m50-campaign--your-emails-and-texts-1362165.html?action=Email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

MYOB wrote: »
    Wasn't the original eazypass a number plate recognition system with a sticker on the car? Current eazypass's are RFID tags already.

dont think so you can simply transfer the eazypass to different cars no problem, i have done it a good few times.

No number plate recognition

Advertisement