Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart coverage.

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭

From time to time, I have checked my phone line on Smart BBs line checker. No dice.

Today, I looked again and under home broadband, I found this phrase:
    It is an always on connection, with no contention and no monthly download limits. Our fantastic range of speeds are perfect for everyone. From Families to Farmers ...

Heh? My understanding is that Smart BB provides service only to a small number of exchanges, mainly in the bigger cities. Now, I'm not a farmer, but I do live in a well populated rural area.

Does anyone know how many exchanges Smart BB has service on? Are they expanding their coverage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Smart's rollout is not what you would call fast. They've given up pretty much. In fairness it does cost a lot to upgrade an exchange and they aren't exactly rolling around in cash. None of the other big operators like Magnet or BT or NTL are rolling to new locations in a hurry either. Comreg the communications regulator in Ireland hasn't helped for the last few years, they've pretty much let Eircom away with exploiting their monopoly big time.

Eircom and therefore all the operators who resell their products will be offering faster speeds in June, so if that is what your after then at least you don't have to wait too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, fair enough, but I'm just wondering how many farmers have access to Smart BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Flying pig farmers of Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I personally don't think its in their business model to do anything resembling what you would call a rollout, you might see an exchange upgraded here and there but its not in there plans to do more than the main urban areas ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Well, there is a family living next door, and my other neighbour is ken farmer, so they probably mean my neighbours have just gotten bb from them, since i live in dublin, it dosent help much in the rest of the country

• Advertisement
Advertisement