Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any web guys here work for Microsoft?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've been approached about the possibility of a job working for MS - not sure which office, either Leopardstown or Sandyford.

Just wanted to find out a bit about what the environment there is like on a day-to-day basis - is it very corporate/regimented? Is it a suit-and-tie type place, or more casual? Are they heavy on the supervision and micro-management? Just interested in any info anyone has on what it's like to work there.

If it's positive, add it to this thread. If it's negative, PM me with it. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I used to work there.

It's casual dress, and quite an informal working environment.

However...

The people there are... not the smartest folk I've ever met. They're a bit brainwashed too. Not a good combination.

The place is extremely political. If you're into your office politics, you'll be grand. If you're like me and you call a spade a spade, you'll ruffle a lot of feathers :)

I see no problem in working there for a few months, but you'd need to be seriously lacking in ambition and a bit dead inside to want to work there for any longer.

What job would you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

dublindude wrote: »
    I used to work there.

It's casual dress, and quite an informal working environment.

However...

The people there are... not the smartest folk I've ever met. They're a bit brainwashed too. Not a good combination.

The place is extremely political. If you're into your office politics, you'll be grand. If you're like me and you call a spade a spade, you'll ruffle a lot of feathers :)

I see no problem in working there for a few months, but you'd need to be seriously lacking in ambition and a bit dead inside to want to work there for any longer.

What job would you be doing?
    Nice way of saying that it's a sh:t job... :)

for the most part, in ireland at least, it depends on what job your doing in microsoft?

My cousin worked there for three months as a graphic designer, hated it, had to get out, because the nature of his job meant that he was getting thrown around daily, yet he said other jobs would be great in there.

Same with google, software developers have brilliant hours,etc. but sales/marketing/etc. are crap jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I wouldn't agree that software developers have great hours! - Most places offer flexible hours which is nice but if you run into deadline problems, then you may be spending a lot more time in the work place :)

As for the whole corporate/political thing - its the same with all American companies I would imagine - just way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's a lot or beurocracy, but with an organisation that size its neccessary. V dash trash are pretty much cannon fodder if things go pear shaped. Good food in the Atrium though. Free beverages too.

All in all its a good place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

Thanks a lot guys. :) It would be a job as a web content manager - as far as I can tell, it would entail pretty much copying and pasting copy into a tweaked version of Sharepoint and not a lot else.

It sounds OK, but I think I'll keep looking... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement