Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Gardai=idiots

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

anyone been up Parnell St this evening? nice of the gardai to do a survey into where everyone was when that guy was shot in rush hour traffic on one of the busiest streets in the city, also brilliant they stopped buses going in and out of the train station making god knows how many people miss trains and flights, clearly these genuises have masterminded a plan where in bringing half the city to a standstill they bring down the risk of scumbags driving places to shoot people as they can't get anywhere in the traffic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

OR, maybe they have a serious crime to investigate, and the best time to get in contact with the majority of people that may have witnessed it is around the same time the incident occurred, ie when the street is full of people???

Honestly I really can't understand this needless garda bashing, if they weren't there, judging by this post, you'd prob be the very one saying that they're doing nothing to solve this serious crime.

They have a job that needs doing....so let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

god damn garda trying to solve crimes,they've been watching too much CSI, Murder She Wrote, Law and Order ,Charlie's Angels, Walker Texas Ranger, Columbo ,Starsky and Hutch, The A-Team, The Bill...etc etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Foinse is spot-on, best to check with people who travel that way at the time.

Also, during rush hour you're probably going to be stopped in heavy traffic anyway, whereas if they did it at another time they'd be stopping you specifically to ask you questions....

Fact is, the OP's venom is misdirected; if the scumbags hadn't done the shooting, then the Gardai wouldn't need to investigate.

What would you prefer they do, OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

foinse wrote: »
    OR, maybe they have a serious crime to investigate, and the best time to get in contact with the majority of people that may have witnessed it is around the same time the incident occurred, ie when the street is full of people???

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

perhaps you would like to join up and head of to templemore and show them how its done!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

I hate this "The Gardai are never there/never do anything" s***. Go and buy a scanner and have a listen, especially on weekend nights, to the crap they have to put up with day in day out.
    We do need more Gardai! There is no doubt about that but the lads (and lasses) that are there are doing a good job in a difficult situation.
    Plus, if someone is waving a gun around how many people would tackle them if the only weapon they had was a bit of timber? Not many.
    Let them do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I was held up in a long line of traffic for 20 minutes. Gardai seemed pleasant and jovial to everyone. Nice looking Ban Gardai made it all worthwhile. :) Hope to see you again tomorrow girls.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

baaah.

The cops are doing a good job.

Leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it helps put a few of these scumbags away for a long time I will gladly put up with a bit of delay getting home.

Cut them a little slack, like most of us they have a job to do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

At least they are doing something...did it delay your trip to collect your dole or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

krudler wrote: »
    anyone been up Parnell St this evening? nice of the gardai to do a survey into where everyone was when that guy was shot in rush hour traffic on one of the busiest streets in the city, also brilliant they stopped buses going in and out of the train station making god knows how many people miss trains and flights, clearly these genuises have masterminded a plan where in bringing half the city to a standstill they bring down the risk of scumbags driving places to shoot people as they can't get anywhere in the traffic!

lol, this thread has backfired OP! Count yourself lucky it hasn't turned as badly as this

Back on topic, the Gardai seem to be doing a pretty good job in difficult circumstances, fair play to them I say.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Shame on them, trying to investigate a shooting when people are trying to go about their business. What they should have done is done it at four am when no one is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RonMexico wrote: »
    At least they are doing something...did it delay your trip to collect your dole or what?

yeah i always drive around at 4pm in my fully paid paid for car after a long days work in my full time job to collect my dole, if you're going to try be witty and insult someone at least put some effort in

I'm not complaining they were doing their jobs, but i just dont for a second believe anyone who DID see anything would tell them on the side of the road , surely theyd be better going to the houses of people known to them in all of this (they probably did anyway) it just seems like a waste of peoples time to ask questions at that hour to passers by and smacks of "oh look we're putting effort in this time" pr for the guards

I'm not complaining they were doing their jobs, but i just dont for a second believe anyone who DID see anything would tell them on the side of the road , surely theyd be better going to the houses of people known to them in all of this (they probably did anyway) it just seems like a waste of peoples time to ask questions at that hour to passers by and smacks of "oh look we're putting effort in this time" pr for the guards

Eye witnesses come from all walks of life, the gardai were probably hoping to get some independent witnesses - it might actually be to confirm something they already heard/know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Krudler
    You're getting a bit of a hammering!

I can understand your frustration at thinking that what the Guards are doing is pointless. But you would be surprised that this tactic can sometimes pay dividends.

My own viewpoint is that the Guards should be supported by the public in every way possible - even if sometimes we can't see the point of their techniques immediately.

If we are frustrated by a little delay in our daily movements - think how it must feel for the Guards who put there lives on the line, to watch the Judges give ridiculously small sentances to criminals everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

i just dont for a second believe anyone who DID see anything would tell them on the side of the road

Then it's those people who are idiots, not the Gardai!

You've made a valid point in that most recent post, but unfortunately the thread title that you gave to this thread is what stands out, and it's wrong.

If you'd said "PR stunt by Gardai ?", or something like that, I'd believe your most recent post, but the thread title implies that you actually think - or thought - something different, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I'm not complaining they were doing their jobs, but i just dont for a second believe anyone who DID see anything would tell them on the side of the road

You wouldn't believe how many times I have met people who didn't report a crime 'cos they didn't want to bother us but they will usually report it to us when we talk to them.

surely theyd be better going to the houses of people known to them in all of this (they probably did anyway) it just seems like a waste of peoples time to ask questions at that hour to passers by and smacks of "oh look we're putting effort in this time" pr for the guards

In order for a house to be searched there is a process we have to go through. We must obtain a search warrant from a judge and in order to do that we must provide information to the judge which we reasonably believe is correct in order for that warrant to be signed by the judge. Judges do not sign a warrant with any half baked information. For us to get that information we need to either get that information from people who help us or get out there and speak to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

just going to add my 2 cents, 2 weeks ago someone crashed into my car at traffic lights and took off, it was at a particularly dark corner and all i got was a reg, don't ask me how, i did'nt get make or colour it was so fast but the license was imprinted on my mind. I was about to go to henry st when a garda called pulled up behind me and i told them the story, gave my details and the reg. but could'nt gave a colour and guessed it was black since it was dark. now my old fella was a garda for almost 40 years in limk and said it should be pretty standard since i got the reg.

I'd to ring the garda station in roxboro for 8 days before i got anything. all i got was the garda checked the database on the reg and the car was red. The old fella was vicious over it. Luckilly the insurance company were cool over it.

• Advertisement

just going to add my 2 cents, 2 weeks ago someone crashed into my car at traffic lights and took off, it was at a particularly dark corner and all i got was a reg, don't ask me how, i did'nt get make or colour it was so fast but the license was imprinted on my mind. I was about to go to henry st when a garda called pulled up behind me and i told them the story, gave my details and the reg. but could'nt gave a colour and guessed it was black since it was dark. now my old fella was a garda for almost 40 years in limk and said it should be pretty standard since i got the reg.

I'd to ring the garda station in roxboro for 8 days before i got anything. all i got was the garda checked the database on the reg and the car was red. The old fella was vicious over it. Luckilly the insurance company were cool over it.

Are you saying on that basis all garda investigations should cease or what's your point in relation the topic raised by the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0508/limerick.html

Good to see that the gardi in Limerick and beyond are trying to tackle the organised crime aspect to Limerick. also nice to see CAB involved, the key to getting rid of these gangs is getting rid of their assests from dodgy dealings.

Interesting to see that alot of solicitors and professional businesses were also raided, i wonder how they are connected to the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea..saw that this morning big operation!! well done to the gardai and the CAB they're going about it the best way..they can't operate if they have no assets hopefully the operation will be succesful in buckling a good chunk of these people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the solicitors i believe were to do with house deeds etc etc.

did anyone notice a lot of cops around the sex shop down in the market?? was that raided?! had breakfast in the wild onion and noticed two different garda vans there, and a garda outside having a cigarette at one stage.

zuroph wrote: »
    the solicitors i believe were to do with house deeds etc etc.

did anyone notice a lot of cops around the sex shop down in the market?? was that raided?! had breakfast in the wild onion and noticed two different garda vans there, and a garda outside having a cigarette at one stage.

maybe there was a shortage in uniforms and they needed some temp ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yeay!! lol

Advertisement