Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch problem -- decent independent garage in Co. Louth?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

as my 2004 Renault Clio recently developed some strange problems with the clutch (metallic juddering sound at a certain point when the clutch is slowly engaged; this is most noticeable when the car is loaded or during a hill start) I thought I would bring it to a Renault main dealer in Dundalk, where I live, to have that problem sorted out.

However, on the phone I was quoted a staggering 750 quid for replacing the clutch + labour. Just having a look at the clutch and to check what might cause the symptoms described above would cost me 250 EUR.

I am not entirely convinced that the clutch is indeed the culprit since the car has done only 21000 miles, so I would like to know if anyone could suggest a decent independent garage that can do this kind of check / service, preferably in Co. Louth.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question but any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ralph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Although not independent, I have always found Kieran's Motors in Drogheda to be excellent for service, info & price.

They always have a good few Renaults in stock and should be able to help you

BF

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From checking pricing for my sister in laws old Clio, the clutch on a Clio is a costly job. That's even from my friendly local mechanic doing a nixer, so be prepared to dig deep if it is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 binaryrealm

Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far.

R.O.R.: I'd be glad if I had such a "friendly local mechanic". Actually I am prepared to dig deep, as you say, if it really is necessary to buy a new clutch.

But that's exactly what I am looking for, a qualified opinion from someone who is not desperate to make some ca$h (i.e. "friendly") by unnecessarily replacing parts.

Essentially it's a question of trust. You need to trust your mechanic to really give you a qualified opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Try Laverty's in Linenhall Street.

Advertisement