Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for free budget/savings/tax advice?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I know I can't ask here!

Essentially, I've been living in Ireland for 9 months and I still don't really understand the banking system or the tax system and as all I've been able to find is minimum wage work, I could use some advice on making the most of what I'm getting in.

I'd be looking for something like a course on how to manage our money, um, preferably free since part of the problem is I don't have any!

Are there any social programs that fall under these lines? I'm in Sligo, work 40 hours a week mainly in the evenings and I don't drive so that also narrows things down quite a bit for me, I'm afraid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you tried MABS?

http://www.mabs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Thanks for the link - I kind of assumed they were mainly for people with debts but maybe they'll help me before I get into trouble? haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

With regards to savings options, a bank account is usually worthwhile. Many of the main banks offer free banking. This will allow you lodge your wages and with the use of an ATM card, you could withdraw your money 24 hours a day using the card in conjunction with a PIN number (usually a 4 digit code). You will need ID and proof of residence to open account. Some banks have longer opening hours than others. A credit union also could be a good option with perhaps more suitable opening hours. I'm not sure if credit unions in Sligo have ATM access or not. The Financial Regulator's website www.itsyourmoney.ie might be of help also. In bookshops like Easons, there are money annuals like Colm Rapple's or the TAB Book which help explain many terms.

Advertisement