Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for an open Sea Swim

• 30-04-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I have just started training for a charity sea swim which takes place in about 10 weeks. The swim is just over 2 miles which is a good stretch. I have been doing distances of about 40x25m lenghts twice a week for the last 2 weeks and obviously aim to extend that. i think a mile is about 64 x25m lenghts?.

As well as this i have been running about 5k 3 times a week. My question is will this be enough training...has anybody been in this type of situation at any time??. I dont mean to go over trianing tips again as they have been adequately covered here already....i am not looking for speed....its stamina i need to complete this swim.......appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Wetsuit ?
    East coast or West?

As for Stamina, Look to push your non-stop swimming distance to about 1km(40 Lengths) and you will need to do some cold and open water swims if you're not wearing a suit. Stamina training over 10 weeks won't amount to that much, but you will be able to condition yourself to minimize the shock. try and fit in some sculling, its always a good one for LME and stamina. Build up the distance, and try and get into cold water at least 2 times a week in the 3 weeks running up to it. The distance won't really be the problem, as long as you are prepared to change strokes during it. In your training sets, (minimum 3 per week) mix the strokes up a little, Breaststroke is good for getting a breather on a long swim, Inverted breaststroke is always good too.
    If the swim is in open water and is susceptible to waves, It may be no harm to get into some choppy stuff at some stage, Just so fighting waves and not being able to see much of where you're going does not freak you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I was a lifeguard for many years and used to work the Chicago triathalon (on Lake Michigan). You could tell the 'pool swimmers' from the 'open water swimmers' right away because we pulled many of them out of the water during the event.

Open water swims have two things that a pool doesn't. Waves and cold water.

I would try to get some open water training in before this event to try and get a feel for what you are going to have to deal with on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

10 Weeks gets you to July - so the water should be a bit warmer than now. You were enjoying the sea swimming last summer, so I wouldn't see you having any problems with the cold.

2 Miles is 3,219 M - the equivalent of 125 lengths of a 25M pool

Definitely get the mileage up on your swimming. Don't worry about time - just get the distance in. The general fitness may help you finish it - but getting your swim distance up will help you finish it more comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Another thing that you don't get in the pools, jelliers, and lots of them. How do react to the jellier sting ? Some people get an adverse reaction, others just grin and bear the water oozing pain.

Plastics (pools swimmers) fear the cold and jelliers

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but it would be unfair of me to not mention them !

Good luck with the charity swim.

Secman

Advertisement