Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I allowed move out after 2 months??

Options
  • 30-04-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

hI, i AM LIVING IN an apt for the last 2months, and things have got so bad here for me now that I really cant afford to live here anymore.

My car was broken into and robbed the other night, the insurance will only pay 600 and wont fix it cause its old, and now today when i went to collect my mail, my mailbox was open (so someone else opened it with a key).

I cant afford to even pay the rent this month, only have half of it.

So, am I entitled to give the landlords agent a month or 2 wks notice, and still get my deposit back, as I need to move back to where I am from now seen as I have no car cuz some scumbag wrecked it on me..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How long is your lease for? Do you even have a lease?

http://www.threshold.ie has all the information you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Where are you renting?

Tbh, I'd just move the heck out of there, sounds like your going through a rough patch, lifes to short to go through that stuff.
    Not as if there isnt loads of other places to rent these days.
    If you dont have the rent..dont expect the deposit back tbh..thats why you paid it in the first place!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

and do the decent thing and let the landlord know (even if you feel you can;t speak in person at least leave them a phone message....or at least a text!)

as for deposit....I would say no chance....whilst a decent landlord will allow you to break the lease (if you have one) as you are in a bad situation , the least they will expect is the deposit (they will afterall be out of pocket during the time they find someone else to move into the premises (and possibly the expense of having the apt cleaned in preparation....etc)

best of luck with your move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

So, am I entitled to give the landlords agent a month or 2 wks notice, and still get my deposit back, as I need to move back to where I am from now seen as I have no car cuz some scumbag wrecked it on me..

Thanks

The only person that can help you out here is the landlord. Be honest and tell them you simply have no money, no car and can't afford it. If you have a lease he could pursue you but TBH I think he might just keep the months deposit.

Call him up and explain the situation. Make it more like you can't afford it = lanlord obviously thinks of what cash he will get from you vs. getting a new tenant at agreed rate for the year/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

Thanks all..

It says on the booklet i signed that its a SHORT-TERM letting agreement. Does this make any difference??
    I really cant afford to pay the rent now, and my mail was robbed from my mailbox and my car is written off now. Is this not a valid reason to move out early,, It doesnt say on the ageement that its a 1 yr lease!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

As suggested prior to this post be honest about the situation (although you might want to be honest nearer to the end of the month when you are leaving!....) - bottom line is if you don;t have the cash then you don;t have the cash.....do the right thing and leave with a clear conscience.

on your lease it should say somewhere the agreed period of time either party can notify each other of intent to leave / take posession.....I can;t really see the landlord being an ass about it as you simply don;t have the cash, it;s not that you don;t want to pay. Would be expensive to pursue the owed cash for break in tenancy and I can;t see it happening. (irrespective of this you simply can;t stay there so whatever the landlord decides to do he will do ....so no point worrying about it)

Pack up your stuff and maybe move out as much as you can in advance of advising your situation just in case the landlord is an ass and makes your life difficult - you can then at least make a hasty escape without worry of leaving your posessions. This might sound a little drastic but you do hear some mad stories....I say better to be prepared

best of luck

snellers wrote: »
    As suggested prior to this post be honest about the situation (although you might want to be honest nearer to the end of the month when you are leaving!....) - bottom line is if you don;t have the cash then you don;t have the cash.....do the right thing and leave with a clear conscience.

on your lease it should say somewhere the agreed period of time either party can notify each other of intent to leave / take posession.....I can;t really see the landlord being an ass about it as you simply don;t have the cash, it;s not that you don;t want to pay. Would be expensive to pursue the owed cash for break in tenancy and I can;t see it happening. (irrespective of this you simply can;t stay there so whatever the landlord decides to do he will do ....so no point worrying about it)

Pack up your stuff and maybe move out as much as you can in advance of advising your situation just in case the landlord is an ass and makes your life difficult - you can then at least make a hasty escape without worry of leaving your posessions. This might sound a little drastic but you do hear some mad stories....I say better to be prepared

best of luck

well i was gonna let him keep my deposit which is the same as a months rent and stay here for the next 2 wks til i find a bedsit somewhere.. And I dont think he reg'd me with Prtb cause i never got my letter from them, so maybe do you think he will be ok about it..
    And it doesnt say anything about how long I've to stay there for. It says SHORT TERM letting on the agreement cover page.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be honest with him now. Explain that you don't have the money and he is liely to be agreeable. Its normal to provide 28 days notice and it would be nice if you could give him that.

He understands its a short term letting and is unlikely to complain with you moving out after a few months.
    And I dont think he reg'd me with Prtb cause i never got my letter from them, so maybe do you think he will be ok about it..
    I think the PRTB can be slow.

It does actually say Term: 1 year on it

The LL's agent is a really sound bloke, but i only have enough money to pay for another week in the apt, and i mailed him today.. He told me I could leave and he would give me my deposit back as he understands about my car being robbed an all..

But..... I dont know whether he expects me to pay another month's rent now (as I pay on 1st of each month) and wait for 28 days to get my deposit back. Cause if he does, I just cannot pay..

So depressed about this now; all because of some scumbag who tried to rob my car and now it's written off, the insurance won't pay out for ages and I wont get much cause its a 95-d..
    Its just one thing on top of another, hope he can help make my problems a little easier for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pete, time to move back to your mam for a while and gather yourself together I think :)
    Its a tough thing to do but thats what family is there for.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement