Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How helpful do you find the strategy forum?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

i find it boring, huge noise to signal ratio and very few interesting hands, hence the reason I barely read/post in it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The only thing I learnt from this thread was that theresalwaysone was female. I'm not sure how I missed that.

Nicky I think if you posted better quality hands you might get a better discussion. JJ on a AAJ board with one pot bet left to go in on the river is just not worthy of a serious discussion. If you want to get interesting discussion you need to induce it in some way. Either post actually difficult decisions or debate a point that you think one of the "one word answer people" got wrong.

Personally I think the forum is pretty good, its of a higher quality than it was a few years ago, especially for basic or intermediate topics. There is always going to be a mixture of good and not so good posters. A lot of people improve a lot by posting, so its only natural some advice is wrong.

Once most players reach a certain level they have learnt most of what a forum can teach. For years I read 2+2 HSNL and MSNL every day religously. Now I find it pretty boring. I dont think the forums have changed that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

The only thing I learnt from this thread was that theresalwaysone was female.

QUOTE]

lol same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I used to read the forum an awful lot, but I found that far too often it was the poster that was criticised, rather than the post which is unfortunate.

If people could just debate and discuss each others opinions on hands then the forum would be a much better place but instead many threads seem to become fighting grounds for posters.

I think this is bullsh1t and people are exaggerating this way too much. Alot of the posters know and have played with each other so innocent slagging between friends may look like abuse to someone who doesn't know better, but the majority of the time the play is criticised rather than the player.

and lol @ people not knowing theresa was female

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    and lol @ people not knowing theresa was female

Yeah, she's pretty hot IRL as well.

Cue flood of pms ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

RedJoker wrote: »
    Cue flood of pms ;).

At least there's a handy guide on how to deal with it for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I heard ronaldo has his eye on theresa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Damn it, the jig is up..... Was it the ginger beard that gave it away? No....couldnt have been that.... Maybe the beer belly?

Damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I used to read the forum an awful lot, but I found that far too often it was the poster that was criticised, rather than the post which is unfortunate.

If people could just debate and discuss each others opinions on hands then the forum would be a much better place but instead many threads seem to become fighting grounds for posters.

I really don't think it's that bad at all, tbh. These days the hands on the HE forum really seem very civil. The ones that got out of hand previously were where someone dug their heels in incorrectly over an issue, and had no useful logic with which to debate their points. So they got torn to shreds, (and rightly so, the stubborn beggers :)).

I think the strategy part of boards peaked around 18 months ago, with Fuzzbox, HJ, RT, cardshark, valor, ianmc, ste05, and a few others, all posting regularly. I learnt more in about 6 months around that time than at any other point in my poker life, with quite a few 'ah-ha' moments. I don't think the advice given these days is necessarily any worse, but the people who used to drive the real good discussions don't seem to have the enthusiasm anymore. There's a definite feeling of 'It's all been done'. I guess that's progress.

Of course, on the other side you have someone like ozpoker who wants debates on a theoretical level that either nobody else is on, or doesn't want to get to. I personally think that's a level of poker that requires a lot of hard work to get to, and unfortunately needs the enthusiasm to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Damn it, the jig is up..... Was it the ginger beard that gave it away? No....couldnt have been that.... Maybe the beer belly?

Damn it.

LOL
    must have been the moobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

DeadParrot wrote: »
    LOL
    must have been the moobs

Thats it.... ****....

lesson here to be leanrt lads.

Transvesticism DOES NOT WORK when your fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Thats it.... ****....

lesson here to be leanrt lads.

Transvesticism DOES NOT WORK when your fat.

Unless.....
    SpanxCelebs02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Unless.....
    SpanxCelebs02.jpg

Am i missing something here. She still Fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

The only thing I learnt from this thread was that theresalwaysone was female. I'm not sure how I missed that.

Nicky I think if you posted better quality hands you might get a better discussion. JJ on a AAJ board with one pot bet left to go in on the river is just not worthy of a serious discussion. If you want to get interesting discussion you need to induce it in some way. Either post actually difficult decisions or debate a point that you think one of the "one word answer people" got wrong.

Personally I think the forum is pretty good, its of a higher quality than it was a few years ago, especially for basic or intermediate topics. There is always going to be a mixture of good and not so good posters. A lot of people improve a lot by posting, so its only natural some advice is wrong.

Once most players reach a certain level they have learnt most of what a forum can teach. For years I read 2+2 HSNL and MSNL every day religously. Now I find it pretty boring. I dont think the forums have changed that much.

lol! yeah that post was pretty bad. It's amazing how your mind gets so negative when you're running terrible. It's fine to take the piss out of me though and I don't mind lols and short snappy responses from people I know and respect because they know I will take it in the nature it was intended, but I definitely understand how frustrating it might be for an inexperienced player looking for answers and all he gets is a strong of people saying "ZOMG FOLD!!" Perhaps there is room for a beginners forum.

Having said all this I think there is definitely a lot of terrible advice given here every day. Particularly on live cash games and online $1-$2 and above where it's obvious that people who aren't actually beating the stakes consistently are giving advice because their reasoning is so one dimensional. Poker has advance considerably in the last two years and I don't think the majority of players on boards has moved with the times quickly enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I don't read that forum as often as I should anymore. When I do I look for a thread with more than a few responses because it might indicate some good discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Am i missing something here. She still Fat.

that's disgusting and has no place on the poker forum. If you want to criticize someone, keep it to their poker skills ffs.

According to the poll at-least 55% of posters feel the strategy forum is below par and about 30% overall feel the forum is really bad. That's quite a big number.

I think a lot of people that feel this way possibly need to put more effort into the strategy forum themselves (myself included). Hopefully you'll get more out of it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

I think you forgot that choice 5 is atari jaguar

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

musician wrote: »
    I don't read that forum as often as I should anymore. When I do I look for a thread with more than a few responses because it might indicate some good discussion.

Same as above, except I am almost hoping for an argument when I go into the 92 posts in one day threads (and usually get one).

I do read the Omaha forum though, although it is hardly choc a block with posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I voted the middle option.
    There are some very good posts on it. I like reading HJ's contributions in cash game theory. The other thing is that he is more helpful in general than most of the other cash game posters.
    The other poster that doesn't seem to post as much anymore who was exceptional imo, is Robin Lacey.
    For tournament theory, I think Lucky Lloyd, Lenny Leonard, R4ad and Allinstevie(irregular but to the point posts) stand out.
    I'm just naming some out of a good few that are good, I don't want to start putting down all the names in case I leave someone out.

I like to read some of the posts in tourney hands.

The problem I have with the section, and its not a personal issue with anybody, but there does seem to be a clique who don't like newbies posting in their threads.
    The reason for some of those posts is to try and learn, some new posters are ridiculous in a thread in a 'I know I'm right', when its clear to everybody that they are wrong, and they get leveled.
    Thats ok but others post up their beliefs on a certain thread and rather than give them any credit or point out where they are going wrong, they either get leveled or ignored.
    I have spoken to a few people who feel this way and some have left boards as a result.
    One in particular is a very good live cash player that I know personally. He just felt that every time he posted that he either got leveled or ignored whereas others were replying to each others posts. The reason I mention this particular person is that there are a number of other posters who have played with him and they would have serious respect for his game.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    The problem I have with the section, and its not a personal issue with anybody, but there does seem to be a clique who don't like newbies posting in their threads.
    The reason for some of those posts is to try and learn, some new posters are ridiculous in a thread in a 'I know I'm right', when its clear to everybody that they are wrong, and they get leveled.
    Thats ok but others post up their beliefs on a certain thread and rather than give them any credit or point out where they are going wrong, they either get leveled or ignored.
    I have spoken to a few people who feel this way and some have left boards as a result.
    One in particular is a very good live cash player that I know personally. He just felt that every time he posted that he either got leveled or ignored whereas others were replying to each others posts. The reason I mention this particular person is that there are a number of other posters who have played with him and they would have serious respect for his game.

Thats the way it is with any strat forum. If some noob posts bad advice nearly always it'll be picked up on and explained why it is bad. If this is "too much" for him well then tough, everybody has had their posts torn apart, it's how you learn. The guys who post bad advice and then ignore everyone who tells them why it's bad advice, are bad for the forum anyway.

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Thats the way it is with any strat forum. If some noob posts bad advice nearly always it'll be picked up on and explained why it is bad. If this is "too much" for him well then tough, everybody has had their posts torn apart, it's how you learn. The guys who post bad advice and then ignore everyone who tells them why it's bad advice, are bad for the forum anyway.
    Let me explain, when I say leveled, that means the replies are not telling the poster where he is going wrong, but more or less telling him to shag off.
    Or at least thats the way it comes across to some people.
    I am not innocent, I posted lmfao as an answer to a post the other day. I think posts like that are just not helpful. I would have been better advised not posting at all than doing that.
    I am not a regular poster in the theory sections and I don't ever intend to be. If I feel it will help me I will post up, or if I genuinely feel that I have contribution to make I will post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Wow. I thought Theresa was a guy for a long time too.

But I still think this forum is pretty good. The odd sporadic debate generated is still pretty good. A lot of posters miss a lot of debate on the smaller hands. I've had more aha moments with them than anywhere else.

I don't really mind the one word answers from the better posters. Imo the one word answers are better, especially if you disagree with them. I always try and see why these posts could be correct and reason out what sort of ranges both players should have in this situation and work backwards to see why this should be a snap fold, snap call, shove etc. This works better for me than a long reply, as it helps me to realise myself moreso how these players ranges have evolved to a point where my decision would become different.

That being said, long posts are the nuts

Let me explain, when I say leveled, that means the replies are not telling the poster where he is going wrong, but more or less telling him to shag off.

I think thats bullsh1t tbh. That never happens unless the hand is a level in the first place or if the guy is a troll. Why would people tell noobs to p1ss off when they post, it makes no sense.

I think alot of people make up or exaggerate problems in the strat section, and use them as reasons not to post. Where really they're just too lazy to try and improve their game. imo anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah I think that is being overstated.
    If someone posts a stupid thread saying online poker is rigged or pokerplayers recent thread then yeah it will turn into a big leveling fest but if some newbie posts a thread in strat then it's usually very friendly with people saying welcome to boards and giving helpful advice.

I think you forgot that choice 5 is atari jaguar

I still don't know what atari jaguar means. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

NickyOD wrote: »
    I still don't know what atari jaguar means. :rolleyes:

If you search the forum, you should find a better explanation.

Atari Jaguar was a deeply unpopular console made by Atari. It is now included in polls instead of the "none of the above" or "this is irrelevant" options.

I'm mostly waiting for folks to start using the Atari Lynx option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

see here for all the relevant info on atari jaguar......

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Atari_Jaguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

TBH, these types of players are generally the biggest problem posters around, they are generally solid enough in a Live setting, playing against basically monkeys and beating the game, but generally they have become deluded as to what the optimal strategy is, due to repeated reinforcement via results orientated thinking and memories of when their strategy worked, and forgetting where it failed or basically not realising or understanding that it may actually have cost them EV and $$, they generally refuse to listen to reason and to basic theory, and dig their heals in and refuse to budge, trying to prove everyone else wrong, they then get a chip on their shoulder and never come back. There have been multiple posters that start out like this and generally after a while (if they stick around) sense usually ends up getting through and they become a very good player, because they have their "Live" skills and add in optimal theory or at least begin to have an understanding of it.

I also don't think genuine newbies get treated badly at all TBH, there's a stigma attached to it I'm sure, because they might read a blazing row with multiple people and think this will happen to them, but once they leave their ego at the door, show respect to the people trying to help them, they are almost always warmly welcomed, I can't think of a genuine newbie abuse I've had to deal with in a long time, (again I'm referring to genuine newbies, not people with an overly exaggerated ego, like some pub champion and the likes, who are completely pig headed and are trying to tell everyone else why he's right and everyone else is wrong.)

Ste05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

who? his screen name here, not his real name. Rather than giving a spurious example of someone you think is "a very good live cash player", let people see his posts and see if he comes off as that or as a tard.

• Advertisement

RoundTower wrote: »
    who? his screen name here, not his real name. Rather than giving a spurious example of someone you think is "a very good live cash player", let people see his posts and see if he comes off as that or as a tard.
    I'm not going to do that without his permission.

Ste05 wrote: »
    TBH, these types of players are generally the biggest problem posters around, they are generally solid enough in a Live setting, playing against basically monkeys and beating the game, but generally they have become deluded as to what the optimal strategy is, due to repeated reinforcement via results orientated thinking and memories of when their strategy worked, and forgetting where it failed or basically not realising or understanding that it may actually have cost them EV and $$, they generally refuse to listen to reason and to basic theory, and dig their heals in and refuse to budge, trying to prove everyone else wrong, they then get a chip on their shoulder and never come back. There have been multiple posters that start out like this and generally after a while (if they stick around) sense usually ends up getting through and they become a very good player, because they have their "Live" skills and add in optimal theory or at least begin to have an understanding of it.

I also don't think genuine newbies get treated badly at all TBH, there's a stigma attached to it I'm sure, because they might read a blazing row with multiple people and think this will happen to them, but once they leave their ego at the door, show respect to the people trying to help them, they are almost always warmly welcomed, I can't think of a genuine newbie abuse I've had to deal with in a long time, (again I'm referring to genuine newbies, not people with an overly exaggerated ego, like some pub champion and the likes, who are completely pig headed and are trying to tell everyone else why he's right and everyone else is wrong.)

Ste05

I did say in my post that some people get what they deserve.
    I am not trying to rattle anyones cage, I was just trying to explain what I have heard from some other players who I personally respect.
    I have had to listen to loads of people running down boards, but I don't take heed of what most of them say as there is an air of resentment among most of those who are anti-boards. I do find with most of them that there is an attitude of 'who do they think they are, I'll play them for any amount they want'.
    Obviously I like boards or I would not be on here as much as I have been. I am not criticising everybody or anything like that.
    Its just amazing how many replies there have been to my little input.
    I don't personally suffer from ego issues. But when a guy comes along and posts a reply which starts 'thats just bull$hit', I think it explains a lot of what I am trying put across. Theres no need to put that into your post, there is a section for those who want to vent.
    I also said that I am not totally innocent myself. I have abused posters from time to time.
    I remember getting involved in leveling some poor poster and nicnicnic came in and defended the guy. And I say fair play to him, he was right and I was wrong.
    Edit to say that you see more of this in the Holdem theory section than anywhere else in the Poker section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I did say in my post that some people get what they deserve.
    I am not trying to rattle anyones cage, I was just trying to explain what I have heard from some other players who I personally respect.
    I have had to listen to loads of people running down boards, but I don't take heed of what most of them say as there is an air of resentment among most of those who are anti-boards. I do find with most of them that there is an attitude of 'who do they think they are, I'll play them for any amount they want'.
    Obviously I like boards or I would not be on here as much as I have been. I am not criticising everybody or anything like that.
    Just to point out, that wasn't really aimed at you or to that one particular individual, it was just a general observation that your post sparked in my mind, I've also heard lots of people running down boards, a few people I know who play Poker know about it's existence and have read a bit (I am a mod after all), but for some reason just don't like the place, and never really post or read, I don't really know why, I've explained it's not as bad as they think and will undoubtedly make them better players, but generally the only Poker related topics they're interested in talking about is results, bad beats and the next tournament they're playing in and what not, which doesn't really impress me and not something I'm generally interested in talking about. I think there's just alot of people who just "don't like boards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

RoundTower wrote: »

Mr Flash i think. I'm open to correction.

Mr Flash i think. I'm open to correction.
    No dog droppings for you to stick your nose in on your way home tonight by the looks of things.

edit to say, fyi, incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

valor and van dice own souls FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

No dog droppings for you to stick your nose in on your way home tonight by the looks of things.

edit to say, fyi, incorrect.

the same could be said of you mr flash.

Advertisement