Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Endings, most satisfying?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 8:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What, say, 3 game endings were the best for you.
    Like which really gave you a thrill, or note of sadness, I don't know, made you emote!
    What games were so great that while finishing them meant the end of the experience, but was deeply satisfying?
    And what really pissed you off after all that effort?

The games that made it all worthwhile were the following,

Ico, great ending to a great game, exhaled after that one!

Super Mario World, A game that just kept giving, no matter that it was finished, there was so much more to find, finally getting to star road, totally tubular man!

HalfLife, the first one, rather controversially, while the last scenes on the alien planet jarred a bit with the tone, pace and style of the rest of the game, the final conversation with the grey man and THAT ending was fantastic, much more so, for me, than any of the follow ups.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

COD 4 - One of the finest endings I've ever seen.

Streets of Rage 1 & 2 - Don't know what it was about the endings, but you felt like you'd earned it.

Halo: Combat Evolved - That last escape out of the Pillar of Autumn in the warthog is still one of my favorite gaming moments of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Would agree with COD4 - like the ending of a great movie

Metroid Prime - Such a deep sense of satisfaction at having completed it.

Resident Evil 4 - Brilliant game right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,718 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Metal Gear Solid 1...Two classy endings in it..Always makes me feel good..Metal Gear Solid 2...Get to see my name on a Dogtag (also satisfying) ...Resident Evil Nemesis...

MGS 1 for sure. I really liked the ending of MGS 3. The lead up to it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Even better when you realise that you can start the game again with all the weapons and upgrades you had at the end of the game :)

Loved the ending to Final Fantasy 8, tied up so many loose ends and left me with a warm feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I would have to say Saints Row

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2: I got one of the bad endings for this game. My god was it heartbreaking. It really fitted the theme of the game much more than the good ending (which was still very moving).

Panzer Dragoon Saga: Absolutely wonderful ending. It was very ambiguous and unfinished but it did it in the correct way unlike Halo 2. You never felt cheated by the ending in the game and the story was so complex it was the perfect way to end it. Anyway Panzer Dragoon Orta really did finish it off in the most wonderful way possible if you did feel a little cheated.

Shadow of the Colossus: Again a very satisfying ending to a wonderful game. Very emotional and equally beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thief Deadly Shadows. Full-circle closure of pure awesome-ness. If you played through the first 2 then the reward is so bloody satisfying it hurts.

Planescape: Torment. So bittersweet after all the pain and effort you went through.
    Unless you went for downright evil, then you get exactly what you deserve.

Flashback. Might look a little dated now but the feel of the thing, you had just saved the world, and realised you were now thousands of lightyears from home, all alone in the black...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think endings are often the weakpoint of games: especially when you've been playing for a good 30 or more hours, a short FMV or cutscene is disapointing.

Action packed endings like CoD4 (which seems completely out of context with the rest of the game, but is still great fun) or Mass Effect can be quite satisfying indeed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Resident Evil 2. After you clear the game first time around your given the option of playing as Leon or Claire on the other side of the truck. I think if you chose Claire originally then you get Leon, and you get the best story in the game as him. Plus the end music is ****ing awesome. It was totally worth clearing the game just to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sarky wrote: »
    Flashback. Might look a little dated now but the feel of the thing, you had just saved the world, and realised you were now thousands of lightyears from home, all alone in the black...

I forgot all about this one, it was excellent, a fantastic ending to a monumental game, the game itself being such a journey, and the sense of isolation at the end palpable.

That said, then they went and brought out Fade to Black, the 3D sequel, so, perhaps he wasn't to be so alone after all.
    Finished that too, loved it, and even though the visuals haven't aged as well as Flashback, it still keeps the themes and action of the original.

And surely Flashback is one of those games that will never age, the 2D graphics are simply beautiful, and the rotoscoped animation wonderful, only the cycling between animations and the inherent delay to your controller inputs lets it down at all.

I remember finally completing the PSone edition of Doom, it had both Doom and DoomII on and seemed to be endless, polishing it off was great.
    Final Doom was far more disappointing, especially when having a go of my mates game in progress, I finished it while he was in the toilet, nearly an end to a friendship there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

this is in the cheap section at game now is the pc version good, worth buying at 14.99 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, do we mean ending movies/sequences, or does the last level count? If it does, then Halo would definatly be up there. Driving through an exploding Pillar of Autumn was fantastic.

Spoilers alert below for Freespace 2, System Shock 2, Half Life 2, Mass Effect,

As for actual endings, i loved the Freespace 2 ending. I stayed behind to help get civilian ships through a jump gate, and was killed after the star exploded, after which, Admiral Petrarch telling my crew that i had made the ultimate sacrifice, saving thousands of lives. Made my death feel important. Or what about System Shock 2. Killing that psycho bitch Shodan (best villian ever btw, pisses over Sepherioth from great heights), only to see her reborn inside Rebecca on the shuttle that escaped. Or what about Half Life 2...time slowing down, Gordon and Alex about to die...then in comes the G-Man. Brilliant. Mass Effect was also great. The final cinematic battle with the Reaper ship was cool. Finally, i loved the Final Fantasy VII ending. The music really added to the cinematic, and seeing Red XIII running towards ruined Midgar in the future with his kids was a nice touch.
    MooseJam wrote: »
    this is in the cheap section at game now is the pc version good, worth buying at 14.99 ?
    Its a terrible port for the pc, which doesnt even include mouse support. I'd recommend getting a Wii/Gc version to play the game properly. Or failing that, PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Call of Duty 4's ending was fantastic, it was like and action film - and then they threw in an extra level after the credits!

System Shock 2's ending was chilling and very very satisfying. Damn you Shodan!

The ending for Half Life: Episode 2 was excellent too. It was out of the blue, had a great score and I actually found myself getting mad at the Combine.

Mafia had a good ending too, it was a bit like Goodfellas.

Warcraft 3's ending was excellent. It made me feel like I was in an epic story; and I found myself rooting for and hating Arathas at the same time (depending on the mission).

The endings for Knights of the Republic 1 was a little disappointing though. Revan just disappeared into a wormhole or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely COD4- Ending where so and so dies...goddamn who would have thought that would have happened?
    Mafia: Defintely a great ending..great story throughout.

Knights of the old republic- Great game and even better story..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Starcraft and portal.....ohhh and shogun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

MGS 1 for sure. I really liked the ending of MGS 3. The lead up to it was fantastic.

Totally forgot about MGS 3. What an ending that was. That last fight in the snowfield was absolute perfection. Timer counting down, theme music coming in and rising in volume as you fight on :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

MGS was super sweet, the ending coming oh so quickly though.
    Monkeyball was fun to finish, with the little banana picking up minigame during the credits!
    Bioshock was good to complete, the story threads being tied off as you approached completion, really looking forward to the prequel.

Finishing SuperMarioWorld and SuperMarioLand was cool.

And my all time fave?

When I 1st completed Tetris on the Gameboy, you know, the mode with the level up to the max along with the speed and got to see the whole band playing and the Buran (Soviet space shuttle) take off, Hooray!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Definitely Tekken 1
    All of those endings satisfied immensely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

streets of rage 2
    megaman 2
    secret of mana
    chrono trigger
    viewtiful joe

all games i was really happy with the ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Portal.

FEAR

Half Life One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Loved MGS's 1 & 2

Not the best but I've always the simplicity of Ryu's ending in Streetfighter 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, completeing it as Sonic with all the Chaos emeralds, unlocking the Doomsday level and defeating Robotnik as Hyper Sonic and then having that epic ending.

Most satisfying game completion imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

metal gear solid 1
    grandia 2
    final fantasy 9

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

FFVII. After almost 100 hours playtime it was well worth it in the end.

Legacy of kain: defiance. Not the greatest game alright, but finally getting to see what happens between kain and raziel in the end was great, after following the series right from blood omen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Halo 3 escaping in the warthog and the ending

Call Of Duty 4 has a very sad but amazing ending

Doom 3, Lock and load after seeing that giant dragon like creature! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

really love ico's ending. its really epic feeling and gives you goosebumps

same for shadow of the colossus, so strange yet it feels right!

you could say the same for shenmue 2, its a beautiful ending and its a very pleasing cliffhanger and probably most of the reason why fans need it to continue.

conker live and reloaded/bad fur day-man, i wasnt expecting that ending!!!

Advertisement