Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWT 12 months what to pack? Tips

• 30-04-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi All,

From people who have done this before or are doing it now what 10 things would you recommend bringing. Any must brings?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Apart from the obvious such as Passport, Insurance card, vaccination booklet, airline tickets, bank cards, etc. I'd reccomend the following based on either me using them or seeing others and noting that i'd do that next time.

1. A head-lamp. Really handy for when you need to look for something in your backpack in a dorm or when camping.

2. Babywipes. Good for when you can't wash your hands.

3. Small roll of duct tape. You will actually find loads of uses for it. Plasters for blisters, keeping batteries in place, reinforcing your backpack,

4. Ear plugs. If you'll be in Latin America you'll need them for buses. Also handy for hostels.

5. A universal plug for sinks. Allows you to do washing in a sink,

6. Sarong. Can be used as a blanket, clothing, headgear, towel among others. You can pick them up cheap when away.

7. Camera. Self explanitory.

8. MP3 player for long bus jounrneys and flights.

9. Swiss army knife. Especially one with a bottle opener. The amount of times i got talking to people because i had one of them.

10. Pen and paper. I like to write about places i've been in a blog kind of way because i know i'll forget the experiences if i don't.

Some of the above are going to be useful in certain areas. If you are going to Australia or any developed country there'll be no need for half of them as you can just go the shop. But if doing remote travel in poorer countries they can come in handy. I know i've left of some things like deodorant, soap, toothbrush, etc but they are pretty obvious ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'll second the baby-wipes (just a mini-pack will do), the head-lamp and the duct tape.

Re. your documentation, make sure you scan your documents and upload them to your email account just in case ....

Also highly recommend a SILK sleeping bag liner ... like this: http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Sleeping-Liner-Water-proof-Pouch/dp/B0006Q3OBU
    you can get them in most outdoor shops. Fantastic when you get crumby sheets, they keep you warm and cool depending on the weather, they protect from mossies and bed bugs, wash and dry in 5 mins and are as light as a feather. Invaluable, and well worth the 40 quid or whatever they cost. Don't be tempted by cheaper cotton.

Make sure you DON'T bring Jeans - waste of weight. Bring older clothes and you can replace them on the way for half nothing!

Have a ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Think this link should help you: http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm
    Seems pretty comprehensive to me. I think the key is as little as possible...you can pick up nearly anything along the way if you really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Don't forget a compass so you know which way you're going !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Think this link should help you: http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm
    Seems pretty comprehensive to me. I think the key is as little as possible...you can pick up nearly anything along the way if you really need it.

That's an excellent site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Would anyone recommend bringing a laptop? I have a 2 year dell laptop. Its fairly small with a 12" screen. Including the charger it weighs around 2.5kgs.

Bring it by all means if you are prepared to carry it around, make sure it's packed properly in your bag, worry about it's security and are prepared for it's possibly theft or damage.

I'd never bring one and if it's not because i'm not prepared to worry about any of the above factors. It's for the fact that i am away traveling. I'll use a internet cafe if i want to use a computer. Granted they do have their pluses such as accessing wi-fi zones, storing pictures, music, dvd's, etc. But i don't class them as needs when away so i'd never bring one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I would agree with most of what your saying but my reasoning behind it is that if I don't bring it then it's just going to be sitting at home gathering dust and devaluing. If I was to bring it and anything did happen I wouldn't be too bothered anyway because by the time I get home its only going to be worth 200/300 euro(Resale value). I've talked to a few people who brought one and they said it was life saver in some places and dead weight in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

a piece of string always comes in handy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Try and get some of that hand wash stuff you can just rub on your hands and it kills germs, ne need for water. So handy.

Also, something to sleep in. If you're going to hot places you can get a sheet, fold it over and stitch it up, and hey presto, light sleeping bag. I got a ready made on in Aldi.

I have my laptop with me. A load of people do. But if it's really heavy be sure you're ok with carrying it a lot! Also I didn't sleep as much as my friends did on buses because I was terrified of my laptop walking.

Where you going?

• Advertisement

I would agree with most of what your saying but my reasoning behind it is that if I don't bring it then it's just going to be sitting at home gathering dust and devaluing. If I was to bring it and anything did happen I wouldn't be too bothered anyway because by the time I get home its only going to be worth 200/300 euro(Resale value). I've talked to a few people who brought one and they said it was life saver in some places and dead weight in others.

I don't really get the logic behind your reasons for bringing it. I thought you had an actual need for it. Not a 'just in case' reason. Sure everything devalues and it will devalue to zero if it gets robbed or damaged. Surely there's a family member or mate who could get use out of it while your away. I've traveled for around 4 years in total over 7 years and i have never once been in a situation where i would have considered a laptop or even access to a computer as a lifesaver. But to each their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

on the issue of laptops, is it possible in most internet cafes to upload images from your camera or would i be better off with a larger memory space?

yeah it's possible depending on your camera and the computer you are at. My current and previous cameras came with firewires so i'd just hook the camera up the same way you would an external harddrive. I've also come across some computers that had memory card slots that allowed me to stick the card straight in.

Yea, you can plug in your camera at 99% of the places. Some hostels won't let you plug anything in for fear of viruses and the like.

One of my reasons for bringing my laptop was the same as yours above. Also, I'm just addicted to my laptop. I write a blog, make videos, play with photos and watch a lot of DVDs. I would have hated to have gone 15 months without it. Right now I'm in Malaysia where alcohol is heavily taxed so I spend a lot of nights watching DVDs.
    I'm off to watch one now as it happens.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

1 - Are the pharmacies trustworthy there as far as malaria tablets go? Failing that, are there any pharmacies that will accept a Drug Payment Scheme card for malaria tablets?

2 - As far as insect netting, DEET spray, silk sleeping liner, waterproof gear goes, are there decent shopping areas to buy all this stuff? I'd prefer to get it all when I'm over there.

Also, my medical kit will consist of:

Anti-diahorrea tablets, plasters, bandage, tape, suncream, anti-bacterial scrub, headache tablets, rehydration sachets, disinfectant, Tiger balm and some moisturiser.

Can you think of any additions?

1 - Are the pharmacies trustworthy there as far as malaria tablets go? Failing that, are there any pharmacies that will accept a Drug Payment Scheme card for malaria tablets?

2 - As far as insect netting, DEET spray, silk sleeping liner, waterproof gear goes, are there decent shopping areas to buy all this stuff? I'd prefer to get it all when I'm over there.

Also, my medical kit will consist of:

Anti-diahorrea tablets, plasters, bandage, tape, suncream, anti-bacterial scrub, headache tablets, rehydration sachets, disinfectant, Tiger balm and some moisturiser.

Can you think of any additions?

As for question 1, I presume you mean are they reliable in Bangkok, which would be a yes, and for would any pharmacy accept that card I presume you're not talking about in Bangkok. If you're asking about pharmacies in Ireland then yes. Most say no but I have found 2 in the last three years who have said yes. I think it may have been because they knew me and knew I was volunteering with an NGO. For what they see as holiday medicine it's generally a no.

For number 2, I've found all that stuff up a mountain in India, so I'm fairly confident you'd find it in Bangkok.

And no, can't think of anything else. One thing I swear by is AfterBite. No matter how much deet you use you're probably still going to get bitten. This stuff stops the itching. I've found it all over the place though so no need to pay Irish prices.

EDIT: forgot to mention, if you do find a pharmacy that'll give you the malaria medicine on the card, make sure you go for malarone, it's the best. Also, they will only give you one month at a time. So if you want 6 months worth you'll have to start going to the pharmacy once a month 6 months before your trip. But it's not advised to take malaria medicine for that long anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

a piece of string always comes in handy.

How long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ronn90

Don't know where you're going but you might find a stopper for the sink handy. I spent some time in South America and there was no sink stoppers. You can buy a universal stopper that will fit most drains. Enjoy your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Small speakers for your mp3 player and a pack of cards.

Advertisement