Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby League boss reveals from union players

• 30-04-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Found this in the Cork Evening Echo(http://www.eecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhgbauauqlau). Some interesting points including the new sponsorship deal signed with Leeds Carnegie.

Ireland have been approached by international rugby union players considering switching codes ahead of this year’s Rugby League World Cup in Australia.

The Irish-based players responded to a call from Ireland coach Andy Kelly to expand the pool of talent from which he will select his World Cup squad.

Although Kelly will include at least five players from Ireland’s growing domestic rugby league competition and a host of qualified England-based players, he is casting the net further in order to assemble a squad capable of competing with Tonga and Samoa in their World Cup group.

Wigan’s goalkicking winger Pat Richards and Melbourne prop Brett White are among the high-profile Australians to express an interest following Kelly’s public plea.

“We had a good response, including a number of Australian players who qualify quite legitimately and from a couple of Irish rugby union players,” he said.

“They’ve inquired not just about the World Cup but about rugby league as a career, which is quite exciting.

“I can’t name names because of the positions they’re in with their own provinces but we’re talking provincial and some attached, if not to the full international side, then to the Ireland A side.”

Ireland will announce a 40-man squad in August, with Kelly whittling it down to 24 for the actual tournament, which gets under way on October 25 when England play Papua New Guinea in Townsville.

Ireland, who reached the quarter-finals in 2000, launch their campaign against Tonga in Parramatta two days later.

“We’re in the process of uncovering and researching all the players who may be available to us,” added Kelly.

“We’ve got to be open-minded. Sentiment will play a part but it can’t be the whole picture. It’s the balance of the squad that’s important.”

Tournament rules mean teams must include a minimum of five locally-produced players in their final squad and Kelly believes that, by the time of the next scheduled World Cup in 2013, Ireland could be in a position to field a completely home-grown team.

The number of teams in the Ireland domestic league has doubled to 16 over the last three years and organisers believe a five-year development programme funded by Leeds Metropolitan University, which was unveiled at Headingley today, will enable the 13-man game to blossom in the Emerald Isle.

“Over the eight years that I’ve been involved, we’ve moved on from what were felt like token inclusions in the Ireland team to a serious proposition,” added Kelly.

“Instead of having rugby union players playing rugby league, we’re now getting rugby league players and the skill levels have changed.

“It’s becoming feasible that the Ireland team will eventually be drawn from the Irish league.”

Rugby League Ireland (RLE) president Brian Corrigan, who helped launch the game in Dublin 20 years ago and unearthed Wigan and Great Britain winger Brian Carney, told a press conference today that rugby league is making significant progress in the country.

“There is huge momentum,” he said. “The game has got great profile in Ireland. It is not as unknown as you might think.”

Leeds Metropolitan University will put a significant six-figure sum into development, which will include backing for the 16-team Carnegie Premiership and a new Carnegie Student League.

RLE international director Mike Callaghan also believes a Super League licence for Dublin remains a possibility in the long-term.

“Super League is definitely a viable option over the next five to 10 years,” he said. “Potentially we have a very strong case and that’s the direction we want to go.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Interesting stuff, find the Leeds Met connection an interesting prospect, Would love to see a professional team established in ireland over the coming years..You've got the celtic warriors vying for a franchise in the expanded SL so I don't see any reason why the game couldnt take off in Ireland given the right development plan...Hopefully the RLWC will raise the games profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

toomevara wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, find the Leeds Met connection an interesting prospect, Would love to see a professional team established in ireland over the coming years..You've got the celtic warriors vying for a franchise in the expanded SL so I don't see any reason why the game couldnt take off in Ireland given the right development plan...Hopefully the RLWC will raise the games profile

The tie in with Leeds Met could be very interesting. On top of a lump sum it may be able to supply things like development officers, press officers and the other types of administrative help the league needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wicked chicken

Great news to hear. There is some excellent rugby union players talents being wasted and they would give rugby league a great boost and some of these guys might get a chance to represent their country perhaps. Unions loss is Leagues gain !!!

PS - just a little swipe - i thought union clubs and players were told not to play league !!! i heard that somewhere (sarcasm);).

The excerpt I posted must be part of a press release as it's repeated almost verbatim in the Metro today.

However there is no mention of the domestic Rugby League just that Union players may be tempted to join for the world cup. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Unions loss is Leagues gain !!!
    The two players in question are Frankie Sheahan and Anthony Horgan. Hardly fresh 'meat'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

JWAD wrote: »
    . Hardly fresh 'meat'.

Indeed...a little bit tough on the palate, to extend the analogy...

From what I've heard it's a bit of a non-story anyway.

The union players wouldn't have enough time to learn league to be able to compete at the Wrold Cup. No Super League side would take a risk in signing them, and I doubt they would want to play in the domestic irish league :-)

Advertisement