Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad wants a PC for gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well I found out that the monitor is actually only 24 inch if that changes anything? I've done one of them configurations in hardwareversand but can't find an option to add a second GX2... i was able to add 2 RAM's but only one graphics card... and do I have to fill EVERYTHING in? For example if i dont choose a netword card myself will the computer not have one and hence not be able to use teh interwebz?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Well he's already said he has a 30" monitor, so another is not needed

There is always a need for more monitors! Hell i have 3 and could still find room for another yet hehehe!:D

(Ok ill be honest I was being kinda lazy speccing that one up!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Insane money to spend, 1000 is all you need for a class pc...

Anyway this includes it being built and all software installed...

7rgy01i8aq1oqfua5gz8_thumb.jpg

I would wait until July when Nvidia's and Ati's next gen card outs before spending big on graphics though...

2 x 8800gts for €320 should be enough on a 30" for every game besides Crysis, sell them in July for €200 or so and with the €500, get 2 x GT 200 or whatever Nvidia will call them...

Edit 24" changes everything ignore this post...

So for 24 inch I wouldnt need 2 GX2's to power crisis on high settings?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For example if i dont choose a netword card myself will the computer not have one and hence not be able to use teh interwebz?
    There will be an ethernet port on the motherboard, so no need for a network card same with sound card as well.
    So for 24 inch I wouldnt need 2 GX2's to power crisis on high settings?

2 8800 gts's should be more than enough for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ok yes the fact it's 24" inches does sort of change things. I did this up with 30" in mind but if I had 2k to drop on a machine, and the money was there to spare, I'd still buy this and use the 200 quid left over to buy some nice games. Personally I mean. One single GX2 is plenty for what you need, so I think really, about 1.2k is more then enough to get a monster of a machine.

untitled-7.jpg

Well what brand 24" monitor is it for a start.....total waste of 2k if its a low end monitor.

If your Dad is not going to watch Blu Ray films remove the drive and get standard dvdrw...

nzr8h711rr9f8eifpeqw_thumb.jpg

If your internet is wireless email them and get a wireless network card or usb adaptor added to your order...

I think Squalls build above is excellent and about right for you. My post is a more me wishing I had that much money to spend.

+1 on squall's build there. Save yourself the €650 quid for an upgrade in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ditto on squall's build. It's a quality system for the money.

I can't thank ye's enough, I'll present him with the 2 ideas. I think he had 2000 in his mind from when he first asked me how much I thought it would cost to get the best PC imaginable. So I'de say he'll go for Terror's one. Appreciate the effort guys!

We had a look on Dell and the money was absolutely insane so hopefully these guys will work out well.

Oh yea, is there a definitive answer yet about vista for gaming? My dad plays a mixture of old and new games so would it be just too problematic to upgrade to vista? I'm assuming he has to if he wants to be able to play the newest games like crysis?

There's very few games that require vista so you could stick with xp if you like. Personally I'd move to vista. The biggest problem with vista is running it on a rubbish low spec computer.

I really don't think you should; 2xGX2's would be effectively wasted to be honest! 2x8800GTS is much cheaper and will still provide killer performance on a 24" monitor. I have 2 of them but only a 20" monitor, so I'm one step down at 1680x1050. Call of Duty 4 runs at that resolution at max settings with 4xAA 8xAF, averaging almost 90fps. If it wasn't capped I'd be hitting about 150+ in spots. Insane performance. I'm getting a 24" soon and the performance will probably be the same give or take a few frames but nothing detectable by the human eye.

There are great and fun ways to spend 2k, spending on hardware you won't be able to utilize isn't really one of them....I'd still go with Squalls build and pimp it out with a serious speaker set, nice sound card, keyboard, mouse, etc. That'll soon bring ya to 2k if you pick the right stuff and your overall experience will be far better. Trust me when I say your dad wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the build I chose and Squalls.

Yea I know, if it was me I absolutely wouldn't spend that crazy money on a PC and maybe I'll talk him out of doing it. He said he wants it to be as future proof as possible, so on that basis I wouldn't the 2 9800GXs be good?

Technically yes; as the two GX2's will go to waste on a 24" monitor but will prolong the length of time in which you will be able to max out games. But when that times comes that the second GX2 is actually utilized because one isn't powerful enough, a whole new generation of cards will be out.

Never really go Sli to future proof, but only if you need the performance when you're actually buying it.

^^^^^^ Exactly, Terror has it down to a tee.

If I had the money I would be getting these speakers and soundcard, I can only imagine what Cod4 or I am Legend on blu ray would sound like on those :(

Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 System

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=4313&agid=771

AuzenTech HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20544&agid=768

But when that times comes that the second GX2 is actually utilized because one isn't powerful enough, a whole new generation of cards will be out.

But that's good isn't it? That means that after a while, when the second card is being used as much as the first that even though there's a new generation of cards out, my dad still wont have to upgrade... ?

But that's good isn't it? That means that after a while, when the second card is being used as much as the first that even though there's a new generation of cards out, my dad still wont have to upgrade... ?
    But by the time it is used, the money he spent on the second card now could be spent on a new card/cards that would easily out-perform it.

• Advertisement

Again technically yes, but these cards are 400+ euro. It doesn't make sense to pay 400 euro for a card that's not going to be utilized until it's worth half that. You can always add another later when you need to, and when that time come, the card will be much, much cheaper.

It'd be like if you could only watch one movie a week, but bought ten brand new releases at the same time. Just a waste of money...:D

He will...

People that bought 2 x 7950gx2 were sick when a single 8800gtx came out a few months later and beat it easily..

Same will happen again and it could be only 5 months away...

But by the time it is used, the money he spent on the second card now could be spent on a new card/cards that would easily out-perform it.

hmmm he's not the type to get a single new piece of hardware, he usually buys for the long term and then when his old one becomes obsolete he disposes of it and gets a new one that is built to the tits.

Ok so the alternative I will offer him is the 2x 8800 GTS which saves him around 300? And I can tell him to get the speakers for that. But that means he would probably need to upgrade graphics card in a couple months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Hi - I don't mean to hijack the thread but i've been following it with interest as I'm looking at getting the same kind of rig as is being discussed and i'm just wondering why would you not order a sound card as part of your build? If you're getting them to build the PC and do a software install and all that, would you not order your sound card aswell to save you having to open up the case and install your own?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Q9450 €300
    gx2 €410
    Asus Maximus Extreme €249
    2gb ddr3 Corsair pc12800 €290
    case and psu €350
    dvd + cooler €100
    2 x 500 gb drives €149

Branoic wrote: »
    Hi - I don't mean to hijack the thread but i've been following it with interest as I'm looking at getting the same kind of rig as is being discussed and i'm just wondering why would you not order a sound card as part of your build? If you're getting them to build the PC and do a software install and all that, would you not order your sound card aswell to save you having to open up the case and install your own?

Thanks guys!
    Their is sound integrated on the motherboard. Sure it's not as good as a dedicated sound card but for most it is sufficient.

Just FYI (I am a spy), my dad decided to go with the 2 9800Gx2's so for 1,700 he has his ultimate pc which will run crysis sexually etc. and he wont have to upgrade for a while at least. Thanks again to all for their time and advise!

:eek:

Will you do a run of 3D Mark 06, and overclock the Q6700 a bit and post the results please?

• Advertisement

I've never done anything like that before but I'll see what I can do.
    My dad actually wants a guy we know to build it and I've to order the parts so I'm wondering, if I order say the number of parts below, will that be everything he needs to build it? Or do I have to order loads of little things also?
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    fkh26m26cjrlim4f51if.jpg

Advertisement