Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you study?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I dont think Im doing enough, usually when i go to study i'll do my homework, and one of everything else I have in my bag (eg maths question, irish question..) the only thing I really study is biology...I do the exam papers back to front...but thats the very last thing!
    Do people go and learn entire chapters or do full papers when they sit down to study?! Or am i being paranoid??:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh yes, every time I study I memorise a book.

I do 2 hours of supervised study after school, and do my homework when I get home. At study currently I'm doing things such as: reading the Irish literature (well finished that today), writing out notes on french grammar (ie ye olde subjonctif), exam papers for maths/applied maths, writing out physics definitions, doing out notes on set works for music/the irish music topics...

How you study is a question of personal preference, though. Things will work differently for different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

3 hours a night on top of my homework :\
    but i never do it so it doesn't add up to alot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I know the biology is brutal so sorry I chose it.

Still though in terms of study im fairly happy with what im doing but its going to increase more soon.

2hrs after school supervised study followed by 1hr-2hrs when I get home.
    Then on the weekend I study from 9-4 in tutorial in limerick with a break from 1-2 with more study on the sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Cost Boy!!

I do all my studying at home I can't bear to be in the same room as someone else when i'm studying. I usually do 5hrs in the evening monday to friday and 8 hours on both saturday and sunday. I find the best way to study, is to revise a topic like heat for physics then pick out every heat question on the exam papers and do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

how do you find the energy for 5hours:eek:
    ? that's impossible. I do homework alone,but that usually takes about 3 hours. Dont need points though!

gosh..

• Advertisement

The 5 hours includes homework. I need the points though I'm hoping to do radiation therapy in trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xxGemmaxx

OMG:eek: How do you possibly do that much study, i give up after an hour i get so bored with it! You must really have no time to do anything else. I couldn't hack that, Id feel like I'd have no life. I won't let my leaving control my life, I cant believe how people get so stressed out over it. It really isn't that important, there is plenty of other ways to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Cost Boy!! wrote: »
    The 5 hours includes homework. I need the points though I'm hoping to do radiation therapy in trinity.

Well done. I'd never be able to motivate myself enough to do that much.
    Hope you get the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Just to say to anyone else, you don't HAVE to do that much study. 3 hrs a day is loads, with a bit more on weekends. Obviously now we have to do a bit more......thank god for maths and applied maths(minimal study to be done)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Are you guys in 6th year yeah?

I'm in 5th and don't really do much.

I read my histoy in bed and do my english homework in bed.

I do my french, maths, business and irish after school and read coming up to tests.

I do a good bit of Economics as its easy and I hope to ace it.

So, about 2hrs an evening for me, including my english essays in bed and reading about Ho Chi Minh and that class beard of his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Cost Boy!! wrote: »
    I do all my studying at home I can't bear to be in the same room as someone else when i'm studying. I usually do 5hrs in the evening monday to friday and 8 hours on both saturday and sunday. I find the best way to study, is to revise a topic like heat for physics then pick out every heat question on the exam papers and do them.
    :O wow fair play, hope u get the course ya want:D
    yeah thats what i do for biology, helps to get it in yer head!
    Still cant do maths though...got the wee revisewise books but they dont really explain much...awwh it'll be fine!:rolleyes:

xxGemmaxx wrote: »
    OMG:eek: How do you possibly do that much study, i give up after an hour i get so bored with it! You must really have no time to do anything else. I couldn't hack that, Id feel like I'd have no life.

Well I have a study timetable made out and I just follow that its not that hard to motivate yourself if you really want to do well at something, and I do have a life apart from studying thanks, i'm just very determined to do well in my leaving and get the points I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

xxGemmaxx wrote: »
    OMG:eek: How do you possibly do that much study, i give up after an hour i get so bored with it! You must really have no time to do anything else. I couldn't hack that, Id feel like I'd have no life. I won't let my leaving control my life, I cant believe how people get so stressed out over it. It really isn't that important, there is plenty of other ways to get around it.
    Lol, that post oozes of jealousy and stress.

And unless you're going out on weekdays, I don't see how that much study would affect your social life in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

I just can't get my head around this whole studying thing, I try and set time to do it, but i just get bored!
    I've hardly any time anyway, because I'm working most days.
    At most I mite get an hour done a day, thats if I'm lucky!

My study is done just the day before the exam, and I think that technique must work for me because I got 290points in my mocks.

So I duno everyones different!

Why are you working during 6th year??

I have always worked, how else would I have money.
    I Have to pay rent at home and pay for my car and everything.
    I'd hate not to work, I'd hate sponging off my parents!!

Well, personally I worked summers in 4th and 5th year and that got me through 5th and 6th year ok.

You have to prioritise. You should at least take May and half of June off work, or at least try to cut down the amount of hours you're working if having to work so much is affecting how much you can study.

As for sponging off your parents, I think it's fair enough if you're under 18 and/or in 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I'm in school 8am-8pm weekdays and everytime I get a free chance I try to read a revision book/textbook as much as I can. I recently found supervised study to be distracting due to my friends talking/whispering and making distractions. Our study starts at 3:55pm and some people start messing around at 4:05pm >_< So I stay outside by the lockers/outside the school to study. My house is always noisy :(

I also do sat study in school 9-1. Sundays is my day off / do homework at 11pm XD

By the way, do not be judgemental on people who do so much study. There are different methods to studying! For me, I have to write EVERYTHING again and again. It took me 1 hour to write a chapter on Sexual Reproduction in plants (diagrams, experiements etc) where as someone else could have it learned in 30minutes. So if I was to do 5 chapters, that'd be 5 hours study. People are different.

Can anyone help me make a study timetable?
    I'm doing: Art, History, Bio, French, Eng, Irish and Maths.

I don't know whether to do the easier stuff first (english) and the hard stuff last (history) or vice versa?

I usually find myself only studying bio, history and irish >_<

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

Ah **** haven started yet ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do the harder stuff first, while you still have energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

May is the month I start studying. I promise.

Getting down and starting is the hardest, once you're down it's fine and you just power away. I do listen to my iPod though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i have a plan, summer exams in two weeks, catch up this week, study the entire next week and done !

next year i ll try and work from the begining though, i want quite high points :(

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Well, personally I worked summers in 4th and 5th year and that got me through 5th and 6th year ok.

You have to prioritise. You should at least take May and half of June off work, or at least try to cut down the amount of hours you're working if having to work so much is affecting how much you can study.

As for sponging off your parents, I think it's fair enough if you're under 18 and/or in 6th year.

Ya I'm trying now to ask for time off, I'm going to take the last 2weeks in may and June off of course!! I have to cop on now!
    Well Ive stopped goin out at the weekends so I can try and study instead!!
    This weekend, I've done loads of study so i'm so proud of myself, and I'm not going to go to school anymore either so I can spend that time studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

How does Cost Boy do that much study? He needs big points so he puts the work in.

I need 300 points to do what i want, where i want. And without studying i got 275 in the mocks. I do 3 hours supervised study Monday to Friday, including homework and messing about, nothing on Friday, nothing on Saturday and then 3 hours on Sunday.

I will seriously up my workload in the remaining weeks though. But one thing i wont do is panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Ya I'm trying now to ask for time off, I'm going to take the last 2weeks in may and June off of course!! I have to cop on now!
    Well Ive stopped goin out at the weekends so I can try and study instead!!
    This weekend, I've done loads of study so i'm so proud of myself, and I'm not going to go to school anymore either so I can spend that time studying.

I really hope you're taking the piss about the bolded bit. This is the time when everything you do in class is 100% focused on the exams. Not going and staying at home to "study" defeats the purpose imo. Go to school, keep an open mind and give it your full attention and you'll definitely reap the rewards. I'd give up the job now until after the LC aswell. It's only a month and a half and it'll really help you in the end. Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'm not going in either. This way I can study in a way that suits me, and not one devised by a teacher to suit 20 people as best as possible. Plus I don't have to waste time on subjects I'm good at.

I don't see the point in staying home from school. You might be missing out on something useful, and it's not like if you stay home from school you're going to be studying for 9 hours a day or anything. I mean, if you finish school at 4, you still have a lot of time left in the day to study.

In my experience, no one I know who stayed home for the last few weeks of school did any better than I expected them to, and no one who got high points stayed home from school during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    How does Cost Boy do that much study? He needs big points so he puts the work in.

Cost Boy's a she. (and don't ask about her username) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Peleus wrote: »
    Cost Boy's a she. (and don't ask about her username) lol

surely you can forgive that mistake. Thats like my user name being "086 girl".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    surely you can forgive that mistake. Thats like my user name being "086 girl".

Ah see, there was a big brouhaha about this username on another thread.

Finally, a chance to use the word 'brouhaha'.

Advertisement