Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone here work for shannonaerospace?

• 30-04-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering as I am starting there soon as a trainee? Is it worth the low pay? I have searched all through this forum and other forums and all im seeing is worryingly negative comments. :(

You must stay 5 years after starting training if you dont want to pay them training costs back. I can see why, but are they strict on this?
    What kind of salary do they offer after you have finished the training and are actually working for them properly?

I know I could ask the company some of these questions myself but im looking more for honest opinions from people that have worked there.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I know a guy who works there well enough and he loves every minute of it and wouldn't change it for the world, I want to work there myself if the whole atc thing goes belly up! Ill ask him anyq's you have if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

cheers darragh, if you ask him what kind of wage is offered after the training period that would be great.
    best of luck with the atc job

Well I can answer that now!
    2 and a half to 3 years training and he gets around 50k per annum but thats not the highest you can get, he's only young yet so in years to come he will be earning a lot more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

traineeship is 2 years 3 months. when you qualify you will get an annual wage of about 25k. with experience and different licenses and type courses you can increase this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

traineeship is 2 years 3 months. when you qualify you will get an annual wage of about 25k. with experience and different licenses and type courses you can increase this.

your source??

your source??

An encyclopedia?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

darragh-k wrote: »
    An encyclopedia?:D

:D

i know alot of people working there ;)

wylo at the end of it all you have a qualification that you can use any where in the world and the a/c industry is just getting busier all the time so its a good job .good luck with the traineeship, if you want any info ill try to give you an answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Lol at some of the comments.... €50k at SAL????? Thats laughable.

But seriously, I left years ago, basically ather 2 and a bit years you'll be on 20-25k 'ish. The work is $hit, and the company still sucks ass (according to friends still there). HOWEVER, after you qualify you can quit and pay your bond, it's not all that much (just borrow from the Credit Union). They actually forgot to charge me mine!

If you do manage to stick out the 2 and a bit years I would seriously recommend sticking it out for an extra few years on top of that & get a B1 or B2 licence with a type rating. These will be explained to you during your training (keep them in mind). Basically leaving SAL with a "B" licence and type means you can contract for about €40 - €45 ph. Leaving when you qualify as many numpties tend to do now will net you €20'ish per hour, plus the added pain of having to pay to progress your qualifications (Great in the short term).

Finally, keep your toolbox locked AT ALL TIMES!!! With the high turnover of staff; tools tend to vapourize from people's toolboxes on a regular basis.

I've probably painted a poor picture of the place, as a contractor I've been to worse run places ;) . Shannon does have it's positives; namely it's a good stepping stone into the industry. Your experience will depend greatly on the line you're assigned to. I used to be on Line 1 MD-80's, an infamously bad place to be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Why is it so bad may I ask? Is it just that the pay ain't great and the managers are pr!cks or the work very very hard???

Fabio wrote: »
    Why is it so bad may I ask? Is it just that the pay ain't great and the managers are pr!cks or the work very very hard???

The place is just unbalanced (or unhinged), you have some highly skilled workers being hamstrung by middle/upper managements clever idea's & by generally useless muppets on their team, and a general lack of skilled workers. TBH, I switch off when my friends that are still there get going, it's a love it or hate it place. It depends alot on where you are slotted in. When I qualified I was regularly expected to do 66+ hours a week when a friend working on a different plane rarely worked more than 37. Money wise the overtime sucked, but I got a lot of holidays in lieu. But, it was holiday time with no spending money!

I would still recommend starting there though, as a way into the industry it's still quite good, keep the B1 or B2 in mind before you leave to go contracting.... that's where the money lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

yea it definetely seems like a love it or hate it place because I get very contrasting comments from different people I ask.
    Yea Ive read up on the licenses alright, I think Ill just have to put the head down for the next few years and try and get as much as I can out of it.

Mythago , sounds like you got a particularly raw deal ,hopefully the same wont happen myself. What do you mean money wise the over time sucked? As in you werent getting paid overtime just given more holidays?????

wylo wrote: »
    Mythago , sounds like you got a particularly raw deal ,hopefully the same wont happen myself. What do you mean money wise the over time sucked? As in you werent getting paid overtime just given more holidays?????

Hehe, I'm just a bitter ****. There are some great people there and I do have good memories of the place :) The overtime at SAL is extremely low, so you have the option to take 1 hours holiday for every 1 hour of overtime. It's sounds brilliant, but it's not as good as it sounds. Although when I left I was owed 6 weeks pay in untaken holidays!

Either way, as a Trainee the overtime issue won't/shouldn't really affect you until you qualify.

Oh yeah, and ask about the xmas parties, usually alot of fights & sometimes arrests as people vent steam under the influence..... Aaaaah memories :D

Good luck on the traineeship, it's not nearly as difficult as you've probably been led to believe.

when qualified you get time and a half on saturday and double time on sunday. also when on "on the job" training you will get a full hands on approach. anyway when do you start your training?

Advertisement