Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post & VAT

Options
  • 30-04-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Does anyone know if An Post are VAT exempt for Registered Mail? Certainly they don't charge VAT but should i charge VAT to my customers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kurttt

I've got it figured out after a few hours of research - talk about them making it difficult. So the answer to my own question was:

An post is VAT exempt for postage under - Revenue section Para(xia)1st Sch.
    An post will charge VAT on courier post. So you can pay it and claim it back.

Hope that saves someone the few hours i spent trying to find it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Good stuff Kurttt. Bula....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

Kurttt wrote: »
    I've got it figured out after a few hours of research - talk about them making it difficult. So the answer to my own question was:

An post is VAT exempt for postage under - Revenue section Para(xia)1st Sch.
    An post will charge VAT on courier post. So you can pay it and claim it back.

Hope that saves someone the few hours i spent trying to find it out.
    I don't thing you answered the question you posted.

Do you charge VAT on register mail to your customers, the answer is yes.

An Post charge you €5 + 0%VAT to send a registered letter, you should charge a customer €5 + 21% VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kurttt

Are you sure? Information?

Ran this by an accountant the other day to double check my findings and they said you don't need to? As does the research i did. Have you anything to back up your argument?

I wanna be sure im doing everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, To the best of my knowledge, registered post is exempt form Vat. I use registered post each week, and just pass on the charge directly to the customer. I have never seen any vat on the receipts from An Post

• Advertisement
Advertisement