Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Franchise

Options
  • 30-04-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I think I read sumwhere in the irish times today that Maxwell Motors in Blackrock are likely to be handing back their bmw franchise at the end of year. Is this true? Its a shame, cuz they are one of the better garages in and around dublin.

If its the case, does anyone know whats taking its place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This rumour has been doing the rounds a fair bit recently. Apparently they're losing it because they don't have a separate showroom for BMW and MINI. Some other well know BMW dealers will also be losing the franchise for the same reason allegedly. Another well known BMW dealer is due to lose it in Dublin, and one in Cork too, but this is only a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Also Capital Cars in Tullamore are ceasing BMW franchise end of this year and I believe will instead operate a multi franchise ie bmw,merc,audi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Routledge wrote: »
    Is this true? Its a shame, cuz they are one of the better garages in and around dublin.
    QUOTE]

I wouldnt agree - When I was trading in my last motor they were offering me 6-7k less than both Frank Keanes, Joe Duffys and Murphy & Gunn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As far as I'm aware Maxwell's just about clung on to their Franchise. As posted above I'd count that as a shame - since Eileen in sales left that place went right down hill.

The dealer in Cork that is loosing the franchise ceases to be BMW in July, not too sure about Capital Cars but might be around the same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I wouldnt agree - When I was trading in my last motor they were offering me 6-7k less than both Frank Keanes, Joe Duffys and Murphy & Gunn

.........they knew you didn't buy the car from them and you were doing the rounds, they all have an unwritten agreement not to counter offer.

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    they all have an unwritten agreement not to counter offer.

Not the impression I got from buying off both Joe Duffy's and Frank Keanes last year. I got the distinct impression they hated each other and would do anything to nick business of one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

TheBazman wrote: »
    MercMad wrote: »
    .........they knew you didn't buy the car from them and you were doing the rounds, they all have an unwritten agreement not to counter offer.

Well for me Maxwell gave me the best offer recently over Joe Duffy & Murphy Gunn. Frank Keane usually is close to Joe Duffy I find. I told JD & MG what offers I was getting and they both increased their offers twice, but in the end did not match Maxwell's initial offer.

Joe Duffy is closer location wise to me, and every time I tell them I want to do business, but they can never match better offers I receive? (Eventhough their salesman love telling me "biggest dealer, won't do better" :rolleyes:)

This was my first time dealing with Maxwell, and I found them pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so what will happen them now? will they just get a different franchise?

gotta be a killer, bmw dealer in blackrock, must be a licence to print cash.

annoying for me was very handy for parts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

No shame in Maxwells going. Bought two new BMW's from them over the past few years and found them very arrogant and unhelpful. Went to Joe Duffy and found a big difference in customer service and the follow up things very quickly both in service and in sales. As I understand it, BMW are now very demanding of the dealers which is no bad thing. Some obviously can't stand the heat.

here's the IT article.
    Maxwell Motors to quit BMW franchise

MICHAEL McALEER, Motoring Editor

MAXWELL MOTORS, the Dublin BMW dealer, is to end its franchise with the premium car brand.

The Blackrock-based firm, which is the German marque's second biggest dealer in Dublin and one of its top five outlets in the State, informed staff of the decision yesterday morning. The current franchise deal runs out on September 30th.

The move is the first of several major changes expected in BMW's Irish dealer network. Michael Nugent, sales director of BMW Ireland, said all its dealer contracts had been reviewed and the national distributor was in the process of renewing contracts and reviewing new applicants.

According to industry sources, other BMW dealers are likely to leave the network by October. New dealers are expected to be appointed to replace them.

Peter Pierse, chairman of Maxwell Motors, said: "This decision has been made in the light of the conditions set down by BMW for such a renewal and on a review by the board of the operation of the franchise over the recent past."

The dealership was looking at alternatives and had no intention of leaving the industry, according to Pierse. He said it would stay in its current site and would honour all warranties and agreements.

While he would not be drawn on alternative franchise opportunities, Pierse said he expected "fairly dramatic changes" in the motor industry, and tougher trading conditions. Options include taking a rival franchise or entering the premium used-car market.

Maxwell Motors has been a BMW dealership since 1989 and was one of its first single-franchise operators in Ireland. Last year, it sold about 600 BMWs and 200 Minis.

Apart from Maxwell Motors, the BMW network has two dealers serving south Dublin: Murphy Gunn and Frank Keane Motors.

Anyone know what dealers will replace Maxwell, the other well known BMW dealer in Dublin and the long established one in Cork? Other BMW dealers may be losing the franchise as well allegedly.

What happens to customers who bought BMWs from garages that are now due to lose the franchise?

What's the difference between a BMW dealer and a BMW "service outlet"?

Will the dealers that are losing the franchise remain on as "service outlets"(well there is only 1 of these in the country at the moment)?

I wonder what the replacement dealer for BMW will be in Cork in particular, or will we be back to one main dealer again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I wonder would Maxwells take up a Merc/Audi Franchise?

That worked very well for Annesley Williams in the past. Or like Newgate in Navan, Land Rover/Range Rover and Merc.

The article states that all warranties etc will be honoured. If Maxwells enter the "Premium Used car market" like a Lamb and O'Connor maybe, I'm sure they would have a BMW service available.

Shame to hear Capital Cars are leaving the Franchise as well, they are a great dealer..

No doubt about it, BMW must be putting major heat on these guys now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

E92 wrote: »

The service outlet is a BMW Approved Service Outlet, i.e. a dealer who has more to prove/change before the dealership franchise is fully approved but can service/sell BMWs.

'One' of these dealers has been Service Outlet for about 6-8months now & the Dealership Franchise is expected to be fully functional within the next 6months...so I heard from a horse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Rob C wrote: »
    I wonder would Maxwells take up a Merc/Audi Franchise?

They're about a 2 minute drive from Grange Motors (VW/Audi/Merc), so I wouldn't think that's a runner.

Wonder if they'll do an "AutoPlatz" and start dealing in everything prestige. They have the customer base to make a killing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

E92 wrote: »

I know this relates to Peugeot, but prior to becoming Westland, the Murphy's traded as Sean Murphy Autos, (an approved Peugeot Service agent) and the service was far better, cost less and was much more personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I thought that the franchise changes for BMW in Ireland was old news at this stage! Isn't the Galway outlet soon to be taken over by the Lexus dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

MotorPark have lost it to Tom Hogans. Tom Hogans is building a new Showroom in Oranmore on the Steel Forms site for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rob C wrote: »
    No doubt about it, BMW must be putting major heat on these guys now...

Very clever strategic move. Get the dealers' act together before BMWs start looking very good value from July because of the low emissions = low VRT and the commitment to pass the savings on in full to the customer

Increase market share and retain it with improved sales and service organisations (dealers)

I agree 100% with unkel. It certainly is a clever move on the part of BMW(and MINI).

Everyone wins, the customer gets lower prices and better dealer service, while dealers get more profits because better service will keep more people paying dealer servicing prices for longer if they think they're treated well and BMW Ireland wins by massively increased sales(the dealers win from this as well too).

Audi have a lot of lower emitting cars on the way, most A4s are due a VRT and CO2 cut, and there are new engine additions on the way with very good CO2, same goes for the S5 while the facelifted A3 and A6 due later on in the year will offer serious CO2 improvements, so I think BMW are making a pre-emptive strike to carve out more sales.

Things with BMW here have improved enormously since BMW took over importing and distributing the cars themselves 4 years ago, their sales have rocketed, we get much higher spec cars and a wider engine choice, and I've heard plenty of stories about how BMW customer service has improved too, and evidently BMW Ireland are driving up standards again, which is good news indeed since the parents are contemplating their first BMW, a 520d now that they can afford it thanks to the VRT changes being passed on by BMW(they're not keen on the 3 series) to replace their 1.8 Avensis at the start of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

While picking up a part in M&G last week a yummy mummy came in with her kids and was asking the salesman aoout "The series 5 estate." fair play to him, he said "Do you know much about the series 5?"

:rolleyes:

Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new thread.

Word on the grapevine is that Maxwells made 40 people redundant today. Unconfirmed as of yet, and I'd expect something like that to make the Internet news sites.

Looks like McKeowns have lost their franchise as well. There was an advert on TV the othernight for them as Opel, Mitsubishi, Kia and Peugeot dealers but no mention of BMW.

• Advertisement

I've also heard this, but again, only on the grapevine.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

interesting, Maxwells pricing recently has been miles off, as if they haven't been keeping it up to date or keeping an eye on the market. Presumably they will close and sell the prime site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

R.O.R wrote: »
    Thought I'd post this here rather than start a new thread.

Word on the grapevine is that Maxwells made 40 people redundant today. Unconfirmed as of yet, and I'd expect something like that to make the Internet news sites.

Looks like McKeowns have lost their franchise as well. There was an advert on TV the othernight for them as Opel, Mitsubishi, Kia and Peugeot dealers but no mention of BMW.

They (McKeons) have separate showrooms across the road and I know BMW/Mini would not want any association with other brands. They probably just market things separately as well ............. but who knows. Micheal has only added those marques (except Mitsubishi) in the last few years, so may see something like this coming somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cloono

Maxwells don't seen to have the same number of second hand cars either, on the left of the garage has had used car's parked up for years, now its empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wonder if these dealers are handing the franchises back as they will be free to sell whatever sells without the massive overhead of keeping the brand image - ie separate showrooms for BMW and Mini etc.

I would imagine if they wanted to they could still get someone a new BMW if they wanted it ?

With regard to competition - my dad got a better deal from a dealer in Dublin than at home a few years back on a car still with Frank Keane ( the then importers ). Keanes refused to release the car to the dealer my dad wished to deal with in Dublin - however the local dealer then matched the offer and dad went with them ( though he didn't really want to) - so there is some protection going on between them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maxwell would have lost the franchise as they havent the space to build two show rooms on the blackrock site

Officially, Maxwell DID NOT lose BMW franchise. They handed it back to BMW. They could have kept it if they wanted to.

However, I found this article from last September which suggests that might be more to it than that;)!

Btw, new dealers have been announced in Athlone and Galway.

Colm Quinn is the dealer in Athlone, from temporary premises at the moment but will have a full modern showroom by the end of the year.

I read about the one for Galway but I've completely forgotten who it is:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

maxwells DID let 40 staff go.

yesterday PARK MOTORS let 20 or so People go

and annesely in ballybough have lost their audi franchise

apart from that its good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

port wrote: »
    Also Capital Cars in Tullamore are ceasing BMW franchise end of this year and I believe will instead operate a multi franchise ie bmw,merc,audi etc

That's a pity, I called in there earlier this year and really liked their no-bull**** approach. Although in fairness I have been very impressed with all BMW salesmen I've met.

They know their products backwards, which is not always the case for other marques:rolleyes:...

Advertisement