Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Question

Options
  • 30-04-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Failed Maths 10040 last semester, still can't figure out this question, please help!

"The Clondalkin Poker CLub lays with blue chips worth €5 and red chips worth €8. What is the largest bet that cannot be made? (Hint: use induction)"

I am at a loss as to what equation I'm supposed to source from the poker bet...
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Subtle product placement?!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I don't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Apologies but people often sign up just to post about a product or business interest.

I just found it odd they mentioned the name of a poker club (although it could well be fake, meh)

I've no idea what the question means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

You can make any bet of (5m + 8n), m and n natural numbers. So you can't make a bet of €1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 27. The answer is €27.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Just go visit Dr. Osbourne, I'm sure he'd be glas to help ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

you just have to find the first five consecutive numbers of the form
    (5m + 8n), where m and n non-negative integers

then you can add multiples of 5 onto any of those five in order to get all the numbers above it.

as seen there are no 5 consecutive numbers up to 27 of that form.

now, since
    5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 8 = 28
    8 + 8 + 8 + 5 = 29
    5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 30
    5 + 5 + 5 + 8 + 8 = 31
    8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 32

and you can see that by adding 5 onto the first one you get 33, 5 onto the second gets 34 and so on....and repeat.

so indeed the maximum number you cannot bet is 27 euro.
    ( unless you see a way of getting 27 using those numbers but i cannot at this moment. )

and it's DR. OSBURN

Advertisement