Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final: United -v- Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Roman Abramovich! Peter Kenyon! Gianfranco Zola! Tim Lovejoy! Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a HELL of a beating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ya had Drogba in his pocket all night then got him sent off, which was a bonus.

Nice of Ronaldo to drop to the ground (and have a sneaky look at the dugout) and get the limelight on himself when the rest of the lads went celebrating.

Yea, that was very cunning the way he hit drogba in the hand with his chin:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I won't begrudge them, but Chelsea sure were unlucky. Poor John Terry.
    Would you say the same about Ronaldo if Chelsea had won and United had lost?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

denashpot wrote: »
    get a life man! your worse than the FA. :D;)

soccer does get emotional. :p

Meh emotional is a mere excuse to cover up the failings of those who resort to the 'fuck you you shower of begrudgers' comments. Gracious in victory and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

May all United supporters please come to the Man United Superthread. Who needs to around this bitter shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Archimedes wrote: »
    Bitter lemons.

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!!!! GET THE F*CK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE ALL THAT YOU BITTER SHOWER OF........................!!!!!!!!

Funny how you get ridiculously stupid comments like this when its only about 5% of the board being bitter. Nearly everyone here has congratulated united...

Roman Abramovich! Peter Kenyon! Gianfranco Zola! Tim Lovejoy! Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a HELL of a beating!

Damn the lack of the old rolleyes

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wonder will anyone slip on their run up to a peno.....
    Terry,did you forsee this Xavi?!:p

Damn the lack of the old rolleyes
    +1 on that,irrelevant post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bitter lemons.

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!!!! GET THE F*CK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE ALL THAT YOU BITTER SHOWER OF........................!!!!!!!!

Not at all sham, I dont follow either of the teams I was watching as a neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

May all United supporters please come to the Man United Superthread. Who needs to around this bitter shower.

ya while your there do us all a favour and **** yourselfs! thanks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Congrats to United. Twas a very entertaining match.

Not much need for that now!!!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Terry,did you forsee this Xavi?!:p

I actually had a horrible feeling it was gonna happen, and I knew which side of the fence the luck would fall on. Not me bring bitter before the accusation gets thrown out, just knew it would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

topnutz wrote: »
    Yea, that was very cunning the way he hit drogba in the hand with his chin:p

It was said tongue firmly in cheek! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well holy god. brilliant at times, absolutely ****e football at others but it sure was entertaining. fair play to United, but in the end i think over the balance of play Chelsea shaved it. still, that's football.

The BBC are reporting that Roman Abramovich went into the Chelsea dressing room a few moments ago and commiserated with them. He gave them some complimentary aftershaves. It's called U Go Boss.

Joking or not, this just doesnt help. I'd love to see the manyoo brigade stop playing the ever so burned out "bitter" card, but with these comments you cant blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

terryuo1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

terryuo1.jpg

that was fast! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tbh, i couldnt give a fcuk about john terry or how he must be feeling atm. hes a nasty man and the only thing that would have made me smile more tonight is if cashley had missed too.

and yeah, i cant see much ppl saying "poor ronaldo" of the shoe was on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Wooooooooooohooooooooooo!!!!They Feckin Did It!!!!!!Give Pints To Everyone And Party Not To Stop Next Few Days!!!!!
    Anyway Did I Tell Ya Vidic Wont Stay Calm With Drogba,first He Punched Him And Made Blood In 5th Minute And Than Earned Him Red Card Ahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!go Serbia!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Bitter lemons.

+2
    really a good post, thumbs up

I actually had a horrible feeling it was gonna happen, and I knew which side of the fence the luck would fall on. Not me bring bitter before the accusation gets thrown out, just knew it would happen.
    Well I'm United,and had the phone out to ring for a loft home,if he hadn't slipped it was Chelsea's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

As a United fan I'm over the moon.

Commiserations to Chelsea though, it's a horrible way to lose and I felt sorry for John Terry who was immense.

That's the way it is with penalties though. United battered Arsenal in an FA cup final a few years back and then won it on penalties It felt like robbery, so these things swing in roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

As per expected, a pretty **** final. Gutted to see Utd win, but why is Terry taking a penalty to win the final. Fine player an all, but surely there must be another shallow multi millionaire in that squad who has the guts to take a pen???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reading over this I'm just thankful everyone I work with supports either Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea or Arsenal

Bitter lemons.

+3

In your face Ballack,he was pissing me all the game with his feckin acting like i am bad guy i will mess with all of you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Well done to United. It's hard to go unbeaten on the way to being European Champions and not deserve it.

• Advertisement

Holy ****, i've just read the last few mails. So people thought that was good!!!! Fair enough so!!

Jazzy wrote: »
    i cant see much ppl saying "poor ronaldo" of the shoe was on the other foot.

If the shoe was on the other foot would you really fell sorry for somebody who takes penos like that? Im all for confidence, more power to him, hes top drawer, but this craic of stopping in the run up is just way past cocky,in the Champions League final no less, he deserved it. I almost roared my lungs inside out when he missed, absolutely delighted for him.

And my 1000th post goes for United!!!!Cheers everyone!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well done United, chelseas deserved to win but United did well to weather the storm in the second half. ref did his best to get himself the back pages, no fifty fifties went for Chelsea and considering that vidic went mental in the same incident I am surprised that he did not get a second yellow.

Fell sorry for JT too, touch of the beckhams when he fell over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Shivers down my spine!!

My nails are now non-existent, but wow. What a game.. Ronaldo's proved that he can score in a big match (let's forget the penalty miss - credit to Cech for not falling for the stop-start routine), Giggs got the appearances record, Drogba's sending off (yeah, slapping Vidic in front of the ref is your smartest move ever).. And that's not getting started on the shoot-out... The penalties after Ronaldo missed were agony.. until Terry missed his. One of the best moments ever, even if I do feel sorry for Terry - jesus, seeing him bawling his eyes out makes you realise just how much winning the Champion's League means to players. And then Anelka missing - he never really looked up for it though.

Seeing Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson's reactions - amazing.
    Grant hugging JT - I didn't think I could feel bad for Chelsea. Who knew!

Wow, this post is a bit nonsensical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

What a great night to be a Utd fan. Somehow I had a glimmer of hope going into the penalties against all odds.

Drogba must be kicking himself. Feel sorry for Terry, he's not a bad bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Good post T4TF.

COME ON UNITED , GREAT NIGHT.

Had it all , SO happy!!

ARISE MAN UNITED DOUBLE WINNING SIDE 07/08

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well done Utd, a great double for you, he may annoy me but as an Arsenal supporter I have to say Sir Alex is some manager. A great record over the years.

Feel sorry for Lampard, he has gone up a lot in my book in recent weeks, and I also feel soory for Grant, will be interesting to see what happens at Chelsea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

tbh, i couldnt give a fcuk about john terry or how he must be feeling atm. hes a nasty man and the only thing that would have made me smile more tonight is if cashley had missed too.

and yeah, i cant see much ppl saying "poor ronaldo" of the shoe was on the other foot.
    Couldn't agree more, Terry is a very underhanded and manipulative player. Did you notice as Drogba was sent off he covered his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt as if he was wiping his mouth but was actually saying something (no doubt abusive) to Tevez out of sight of the ref? Don't support either team but would upset me to see Terry, Lampard, Drogba and A Cole parading that throphy around tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Touche.

topnutz wrote: »
    If the shoe was on the other foot would you really fell sorry for somebody who takes penos like that? Im all for confidence, more power to him, hes top drawer, but this craic of stopping in the run up is just way past cocky,in the Champions League final no less, he deserved it. I almost roared my lungs inside out when he missed, absolutely delighted for him.

John Aldridge used to do the same thing. I bet you were fine with seeing that weren't you.

I almost roared my lungs out when he scored his header and at the presentation when he lifted the cup! :cool:

• Advertisement

Celtic67 wrote: »
    would upset me to see Terry, Lampard, Drogba and A Cole parading that throphy around tonight.

Not as much as it will to see Ferdinand and co doing it for them lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well done United, chelseas deserved to win but United did well to weather the storm in the second half. ref did his best to get himself the back pages, no fifty fifties went for Chelsea and considering that vidic went mental in the same incident I am surprised that he did not get a second yellow.

Fell sorry for JT too, touch of the beckhams when he fell over.

I'm aware that I'm very biased, being a united fan, but I really wouldn't say chelsea deserved the win over us. They were hard to separate over the whole match - United for me were better in the first half and could have had more goals. Chelsea were undoubtedly the better side in the second half. Extra time, wouldn't call it for either of them. It's harsh that there has to be a loser, I think that it was fairly equal overall.

(But I'm glad it was United! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

I know this is obviously a woman's touch but another reason I don't warm to Chelsea is because of their unbelievable record of players cheating on their wives/girlfriends - Lots of them, seriously. And that does cloud my judgement, lose respect for them. Corny, but football is about 'being a man' as the rte lads say and as a group of players, United always seem quite grounded and far more like-able.

raemie21 wrote: »
    I know this is obviously a woman's touch but another reason I don't warm to Chelsea is because of their unbelievable record of players cheating on their wives/girlfriends - Lots of them, seriously. And that does cloud my judgement, lose respect for them. Corny, but football is about 'being a man' as the rte lads say and as a group of players, United always seem quite grounded and far more like-able.

Lol this is the last thing I expected to be posted in this thread! Sure what about Rooney and Oul Slapper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Quite the contrast from last season's FA Cup final.

Brilliant match, had absolutely everything. If the 'game of two halves' clichè was ever appropriate, it's for this game. United game right out of the traps at the start of the game, really positive start. Deserved lead with a great header from Ronaldo. He's been criticised, rightly at times, for not stepping up to big games but tonight he was terrific. The game should have been nearly out of sight for Chelsea after the two Tevez chances.

But after equalising Chelsea came out the better team in the second half and really dominated, which I was really afraid would happen. A bit of luck no doubt, with Lampard and Drogba hitting the bar, but don't take credit away from the United defending either, especially from Vidic who was immense.

The sending off was an unfortunate incident. Chelsea were aggrieved that Tevez didn't give the ball back to Cech, even though they did the exact same thing in the first half. You get what you give. I don't see how anyone can argue with the red; irregardless of how much contact there was, it was suicidal from Drogba and he had to go.

Having the best of a half each, I thought extra time was fairly even. Both teams had their chances. My heart was in my mouth when Evra pulled the ball back for Giggs and Terry cleared it off the line, amazing piece of defending.

The penalties were agonising, and after such a tight game it would be cruel for the losing team. Not much that can be said about them really, although it's typical that Ronaldo would miss after the season he's had! Harsh on Terry after keeping them in the game with that clearance. Don't particularly like the chap, but that's going to haunt him and you have to feel a degree of sympathy for him.

There seems to be an overwhelming opinion that Chelsea were much better tonight. Maybe I'm biased, but I really didn't see it as being one sided one way or the other at all.

Finally, if I can put on my United hat for a minute, I took endless pleasure in seeing Peter Kenyon at the end. Bwuaha :pac:

That certainly brings a different POV to the table I suppose. How many have cheated on their wives ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Better than Ronaldo (the fat one) and the three trannies anyway!!

As a Liverpool fan, i ain't gonna say well done. But i will say that Utd have proved to be the best team this season.
    But Drogba, what a horrible player he is. What makes me laugh about this fool is that because Rafa says he is a diver, the fact that he scores a goal against Liverpool seems to be enough to slide along the fake turf of stamford bridge in front of the Liverpool bench he slides along as if he has proved something, Nobody doubted you're goalscoring abilty, all that was said was your in effect a cheating, diving ****. So enjoy Milan, or Madrid or whatever, i'm sure Ronaldo will join soon after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Congrats United. Does Alex have a guardian angel looking after him or what??

• Advertisement
Advertisement