Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final: United -v- Chelsea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That certainly brings a different POV to the table I suppose. How many have cheated on their wives ?

Lampard, Terry and Cole isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

even though they did the exact same thing in the first half.
    They did it again in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

In '99 with minutes remaining in the game I got on my knees, blessed myself, said a hail mary and promised to God that if Utd could somehow comeback and win that I would go to mass that Sunday. And of course they did in the most spectacular fashion and I went to mass that Sunday for the first time in years.

Fast forward nine years to tonight and Nani is stepping up to take Utd's last penalty. If he misses, Utd lose. Even if he scores Chelsea will still just have to score their last penalty to ensure victory. So I got on my knees, blessed myself, said a Hail Mary and promised God that if Utd could somehow win that I would once again go to mass this Sunday.

So for the first time in nine years I will be going to mass this Sunday for only the second time in my whole life that didn't involve being brought as a child or a marriage/ funeral!!

Hallelujah!!!!!!:):):):):D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

raemie21 wrote: »
    I know this is obviously a woman's touch but another reason I don't warm to Chelsea is because of their unbelievable record of players cheating on their wives/girlfriends - Lots of them, seriously. And that does cloud my judgement, lose respect for them. Corny, but football is about 'being a man' as the rte lads say and as a group of players, United always seem quite grounded and far more like-able.

haha, actually, that's a really good point, that's why I never liked JT (apparently he's a serial cheat), didn't like old Cashley before he cheated (he played for Arsenal which was bad enough, but then the whole saga when moving to Chelsea..).. and THEN he cheated which of course made things much worse!

Whereas you've got Scholes, Giggs, etc all nice and happily settled and NOT cheating!

[smug]See, they're just better in every way. [/smug]

I'm going to shut up now, don't kill me anyone! :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol this is the last thing I expected to be posted in this thread! Sure what about Rooney and Oul Slapper?

At least the slapper story amused us! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol @ the WAG cheating. Talk about arsebiscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I know this is obviously a woman's touch but another reason I don't warm to Chelsea is because of their unbelievable record of players cheating on their wives/girlfriends - Lots of them, seriously. And that does cloud my judgement, lose respect for them. Corny, but football is about 'being a man' as the rte lads say and as a group of players, United always seem quite grounded and far more like-able.

lol, you didnt go to uniteds christmas party then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

woooo232 wrote: »
    In '99 with minutes remaining in the game I got on my knees, blessed myself, said a hail mary and promised to God that if Utd could somehow comeback and win that I would go to mass that Sunday. And of course they did in the most spectacular fashion and I went to mass that Sunday for the first time in years.

Fast forward nine years to tonight and Nani is stepping up to take Utd's last penalty. If he misses, Utd lose. Even if he scores Chelsea will still just have to score their last penalty to ensure victory. So I got on my knees, blessed myself, said a Hail Mary and promised God that if Utd could somehow win that I would once again go to mass this Sunday.

So for the first time in nine years I will be going to mass this Sunday for only the second time in my whole life that didn't involve being brought as a child or a marriage/ funeral!!

Hallelujah!!!!!!:):):):):D:D:D:D
    United+Church=Saviour:confused:

bohsman wrote: »
    lol, you didnt go to uniteds christmas party then?

*ahem* Allegedly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Better than Ronaldo (the fat one) and the three trannies anyway!!

Lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What's A.Cole lashing it into some slapper got to do with the result of this match?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

John Aldridge used to do the same thing. I bet you were fine with seeing that weren't you.
    OK, maybe in an Ireland shirt id let it go.(anything that results in Ireland scoring is ok in my book, double standards FTW:D)but even as a neutral I dont like to see it, be it United or whoever.Its not just a Ronaldo thing, if Lamps did the same id be calling him a twat too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kmart6 wrote: »
    What's A.Cole lashing it into some slapper got to do with the result of this match?!

EVERYTHING!!!! *

* Aparently

I blame the players for being stupid enough to get married in the first place, honestly!! A twenty something premiership footballer getting married:confused:, its like growing a pair of wings then chaining yourself to the ground:p madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not married then Nutz ?? Actually on second thoughts. you must be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Can't believe people are saying Chelsea deserved to win...

Their equaliser was one of the luckiest goals you'll ever see... two deflections, keeper slipping and the ball just about making it over keeper and defender... to make it worse right on half time too :D

Second half they dominated and in extra time had a few chances... hitting post and crossbar but Utd several shots stopped on the line... (Tevez, Carrick, Giggs...)... Tevez also had one whizz past him on which he just needed to connect with...

Utd defended well as did Chelsea and both had chances up front. Very difficult to seperate the two and no matter what way it had gone, neither side could really complain. Utd came back from the dead though in the shoot out which makes it harder on Chelsea, but sweeter for Utd :)

At the end of the day, shoot outs are lotteries and you're dealing with very fine margins... one slip, a few inches inside a post, what if Drogba had stayed on etc... You'd be clutching at straws to say either side deserved it. In the end Utd had the luck and the bottle and that's why their medals are gold and not silver.

Not married then Nutz ?? Actually on second thoughts. you must be :)

No,but close;), not the point though, im 23. My point is if I was a 23 year old International footballer, id be single and you wouldnt drag me out of a London niteclub:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Justice was done.
    United were the better team throughout the tournament ,they played the more attractive football and lost no games.
    They also scored most goals ,and conceded less .
    Chelseas style of football has not changed under Grant.
    They still play the factory floor style of physical grinding football.
    They are not an attractive side to watch and as a football fan I think its better that a team like Utd win.
    Utd are not the great team some pundits proclaim but they are solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Okay Rooney lets the United side down but he was much younger, about sixteen at the time, just started going out with his girl and probably just needed to spread his wings for a while...

Holding up the Chelsea side:
    Claude Makelele cheated on his wife very publicly- and she is that gorgeous M&S underwear model with the curly hair, you'd know her if you saw her boys.
    Ashley Cole - Cheryl Tweedy? Plank.
    Rumours about Frank Lampard abound.
    Essien - did the dirt on his girl with a glamour model.
    John Terry - the king of them all! Has admitted to cheating on his now wife, more than eight times but he's changed now. :rolleyes:

Let me get some more, I know the stories are in my head somewhere...
    Irish Times Sports Supplement plus latest edition of New magazine is all a lady needs for football...

kmart6 wrote: »

It helps form some of my feelings about the result of this match.

• Advertisement

Okay Rooney lets the United side down but he was much younger, about sixteen at the time, just started going out with his girl and probably just needed to spread his wings for a while...

Claude Makelele cheated on his wife very publicy- and she is that gorgeous M&S underwear model with the curly hair, you'd know her if you saw her boys.
    John Terry - the king of them all! Has admitted to cheating on his now wife, more than eight times but he's changed now. :rolleyes:

Irish Times Sports Supplement plus latest edition of New magazine is all a lady needs for football...

Lol brilliant. The Sun called. They want their 3AM girl back.

Bloody hell, where's Tricia when ya need her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Claude Makelele cheated on his wife very publicy- and she is that gorgeous M&S underwear model with the curly hair, you'd know her if you saw her boys.

What...the...hell?! :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

where am I, celebs and showbiz? can someone point me in the direction of soccer... i think cult broke boards again...

What...the...hell?! :confused::D
    If nothing else, its a refreshing change from "God I hate Chelsea for buying success", lol

In fairness Xavi, all those other stories are true - as in players or partners have spoken and acknowledged them. Of all the clubs in the premiership, Chelsea definitely have the worst record of cheating wives/girlfriends. And usually cheap, cheap cheap.

Well maybe I'm completely off but in sport, definitely the overall character of the player affects how I feel about them. Not their actual skill obviously but level of respect, interest, attitudes etc. What happens off the pitch is important too.

And let the bashing begin...... ;)

In fairness Xavi, all those other stories are true - as in players or partners have spoken and acknowledged them. Of all the clubs in the premiership, Chelsea definitely have the worst record of cheating wives/girlfriends. And usually cheap, cheap cheap.

Well maybe I'm completely off but in sport, definitely the overall character of the player affects how I feel about them. Not their actual skill obviously but level of respect, interest, attitudes etc. What happens off the pitch is important too.

And let the bashing begin...... ;)

You're not wrong there

You seriously think that if Ronaldo bangs in 42 goals a year yet bangs 42 birds throughout the same period behind his missus' back the fans or the club will give a bollox?

Well I can point you at one that will Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You seriously think that if Ronaldo bangs in 42 goals a year yet bangs 42 birds throughout the same period behind his missus' back the fans or the club will give a bollox?

Indeed they would.
    I dont like smug footballers or scumbags.
    What about Joey Barton ,do you think his off field antics affect how he is viewed ?

Actually yeah.
    I bet it wouldn't happen under Alex Ferguson.
    Sure in the context of people describing players as " a nice guy" like Giggs and Scholes, that's part of what they mean.
    Players' lifestyles do affect what people think of them, maybe not at a conscious level but it does form part of the overall picture.

Joey Barton?
    David Beckham?

Hey I've got a different hemisphere structure - I can't help but tune into these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Indeed they would.
    What about Joey Barton ,do you think his off field antics affect how he is viewed ?

No they wouldn't. George Best was banging women left and right. If anything it probably made him more popular with the United fans. Everyone loves a bit of a playboy who lives the rock star life.

Did England fans give a monkeys that Sven was porking Ulrika? Were they concerned about Nancy?

What people get up to in their private life isn't an issue if they do the biz on the park.

Joey Barton is a different story because he's been involved in criminality off the pitch and has tended to engage in thuggish behaviour.

Indeed they would.

In the greater scheme of things no. If Joey Barton scores 35 goals from midfield next year and wins Newcastle the title all will be forgiven.

Plus, cheating on your wife doesn't necessarily affect your ability to work. Going to prison does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Meh, Chelsea shaded it but shít happens.

I just feel sorry for Ballack, I think he's a great player and has a lot less medals than he deserves.

Johnathan Woodgate & Lee Bowyer never came back really.
    Stephen Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Champs :)

Plus, cheating on your wife doesn't necessarily affect your ability to work. Going to prison does.

Depends on what your job is. Going to jail is probably vital if you are a prison officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Meh, Chelsea shaded it but shít happens.

I just feel sorry for Ballack, I think he's a great player and has a lot less medals than he deserves.

I agree actually, I hope he wins a CL before he retires. I dunno why I like him really, seems like a bit of a twat sometimes, but he's undeniably a great player who led some fairly average teams (CL final with Leverkusen, WC final+semi final with Germany) pretty far without actually winning more than a few Bundesligas and an FA Cup.

In the greater scheme of things no. If Joey Barton scores 35 goals from midfield next year and wins Newcastle the title all will be forgiven.

Only 35 goals from midfield?

Pfft.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Think it was agreat final. 50-50, maybe United just shading it imo. Chelsea were better for longer periods but United were excellent in first half and came back into it in injury time.

Feel sorry for Frank Lampard, not just because of the loss of his Mam but he's a likable character in a not so likeable Chelsea squad.

Nani might come good but Christ he is a muppet

• Advertisement

Apparently Ronaldo got MOTM?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Not surprising really, these things are decided in retarded ways. Plus he was pretty excellent in the first half. I'd have said Vidic for MOTM but Ronaldo would probably have been 2nd or 3rd on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ron had a great game, I'd probably give Vida MOTM though also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I said man united would win, but ended up crossing my fingers for Chelsea:eek: Felt very sorry for Terry, no match should be decided on penos imo, but thats how it goes. United looked the better side in the 1st, but if they'd have had more of a killer instinct i'd have been happy to see them win, alas, I do have a soft spot for Drogba;) Jays the ref and linesman were atrocious, ref had no control over the game, the amount of throwins/corners that were given in error was shocking.

Fair play to Ronaldo nice header, pity bout his pen, but i'd give credit to cech for copping on to his tricks. Lampards goal was deserved, Drogba very unlucky with the post. Vidic was class holding off Drogba. The sending off was another fiasco, felt sorry for Drogba, maybe his own fault but he deserved to get his medal:( Tevez, Rooney hadnt a great night either.

I have a major problem with Ballack, used to like him but since he's joined Chelsea.. seems i'm the only one, but all he does is run around, makes a lot of errors in passing, great jogger tho;), is sometimes in the right place for a goal, but very over-rated imo. However good penalty taker (cant beat the germans) Would have rather seen Chelsea win, but well done United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

In Mikel's absence they had to give it to a player who played I guess,

Vidic did deserve it,

poor poor terry,

good to see neville consoled him before he did any celebrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not surprising really, these things are decided in retarded ways. Plus he was pretty excellent in the first half. I'd have said Vidic for MOTM but Ronaldo would probably have been 2nd or 3rd on the list.

i thought terry would have got it for the clearance from Giggs alone.

Couldn't really decide on a MOTM myself. Ronaldo was brilliant in the first half but faded along with the rest of the United side after chelsea's equalise. Same with Scholes, dictated the game in the first half. Vidic and Rio were brilliant all game long.

I'd almost give it to Tevez purely for the throw-in incident! Good enough for chelsea, they knocked the ball out for a crappy throw earlier in the game without the United team kicking off over it, so whats good enough for one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

On a sidenote,

Grant got two medals from Platini, i assume one was for Drogba?

Sky also cut to him throwing what i thought were two things in to the crowd and i then noticed he wasn't wearing his medal...

Perhaps he threw both his AND drogba's medals to the crowd?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Have to feel sorry Terry, he is Chelsea true and true but I can't help but feel that his heart ruled his head. He would have deserved the glory if he scored but as the captain he should have picked who he wanted to take a penalty.Terry himself should have been the 11th if needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No suprise....idiot
    Sully wrote: »
    Bluffing didnt work.. Looks like United have it lost imo.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Ronaldo misses
    I love it!
    dublindude wrote: »
    HAha!! God I hate that prick.

YES!!
    Call_me_al wrote: »
    couldnt have happened to a nicer guy :D
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Those stop/start runups are always retarded (are you listening Johnny Aldridge)

Ronaldo's a cod
    Yeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!!11111
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Craaaaaaaaaaap
    Ronaldo Miss could not have happened to a nicer person

HAHAHAHAHAHHA ROFLMAO!!!!!

GET IT INTO YAS!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ronaldo off to Madrid now he's won it all?

Could of sworn he just signed a new contract for United and said Madrid was a future plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have to feel sorry Terry, he is Chelsea true and true but I can't help but feel that his heart ruled his head. He would have deserved the glory if he scored but as the captain he should have picked who he wanted to take a penalty.Terry himself should have been the 11th if needed!

maybe no-one else stepped forward to take the 5th, we don't know

• Advertisement
Advertisement