Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final: United -v- Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ah Trilla (and others),

we won, let's enjoy it and stop the sniping for one day at least. Feel the love man, feel the love. :D

But you are right about Tevez doing exactly what Chelsea did earlier on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He has only won 2 European Cups a certain Bob Paisley has won 3

True but Fergie started from almost nothing, Utd had been drifting along as a big club with nothing but a few FA Cups for a long time. Paisley took over from Shankly and Liverpool were already at the top of the pile. Thats to take little away from Paisley, you didn't win 3 european cups and 6 league titles without being an outstanding manager.

Paisley....
    "Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

redspider wrote: »
    re occurring from early on.

Drogba was unfortunate to go-off for a slight raise of the hand, and the whole melee was instigated by Tevez's gamesmanship in not knocking the ball back to the keeper and asking his Man Utd colleagues to pressurise Chelsea in that corner.

Redspider

Chelsea did the exact same thing twice I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah Trilla (and others),

we won, let's enjoy it and stop the sniping for one day at least. Feel the love man, feel the love. :D

But you are right about Tevez doing exactly what Chelsea did earlier on. :D

you're right boss... you're right. My emotions are all over the place! I feel the love again its okay. blood pressure decreasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Fair enough Trilla. Just enjoy this feeling. I couldn't enjoy it last night. Waaaaaay to tense, all I felt at the end was relief.

But now . . . . . . :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Trilla how is saying someone ran their socks off (12k on teh stat) with very little penetration constitute praise? I thought cole was poor last night, didn't do a huge amount with the ball and in general was a moan. That said a few times for goal kicks, corners and throws he had reason to moan. So I'm not sure where your coming from there.

Yes I did say Rooney was poor but in my opinion I don't understand why everyone is saying he was poor last night. For the past few years all I've heard is Rooney wasn't at his best today. I disagree. I think last night he was as he is. How can we expect so much more from a player that hasn't shown anymore in years. Another product of the brittish hype academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I dunno why but this popped into my head just now, was there any trouble last night in Moscow?

havent heard anything personally yet but im still trying to make myself get out of bed and go to work! if only i could leave my head and stomach at home, then it would be easy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kryogen wrote: »
    I dunno why but this popped into my head just now, was there any trouble last night in Moscow?

havent heard anything personally yet but im still trying to make myself get out of bed and go to work! if only i could leave my head and stomach at home, then it would be easy!!
    According to SSn there wasn'y,only a few minor arrest,nglish coppers spotted someone who has a stadium ban in England and got him removed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Ah Trilla (and others),

Agree I was with a fellow 'fan' last night and he kept going on about how crap Ronaldo is in the end I told him to STFU and just enjoy the moment mightn't happen again for ages. Anyway there I was giving out about how unfair it is to decide such a major sporting event on penalties and how United never win a penalty shoot out when Terry missed. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Here is a couple of emails i have got sorry if posted before, other pictures blocked in work.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    Trilla how is saying someone ran their socks off (12k on teh stat) with very little penetration constitute praise? I thought cole was poor last night, didn't do a huge amount with the ball and in general was a moan. That said a few times for goal kicks, corners and throws he had reason to moan. So I'm not sure where your coming from there.

Okay fair enough. I'll be honest. He just got on my nerves last night. A bit like how Ronaldo would have got on others nerves 2 years ago. The Dive, the moan etc. Yeah that goalkick decision went against him, funny response rubbin the head... He just bugged me last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I have to say I'm glad for Terry. His attitude is brutal and is always hounding the ref. But the main reason I'm glad for the phucker is seeing him spit in Tevez's face while pretending to wipe his nose after Drogba was sent off. Dirty kunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a word for the fans who were there last night - not a word about bother so far. Well done, though I'm willing to guess the expense getting to and "atmosphere" of Moscow helped.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

But the main reason I'm glad for the phucker is seeing him spit in Tevez's face while pretending to wipe his nose after Drogba was sent off. Dirty kunt.

+1

Im sorry but for all the nay sayers saying Chelsea were the better team, it was a very tight game, could have gone either way but the stats show that United edged the important ones. United dominated the first half and made it count. Chelseas goal was a fluke against the run of play. Chelsea dominated the second half but didnt make it count. United also failed to fluke a goal. Extra time United were the slightly better team as they attacked more. The best chances fo the game were created by United, how Giggs,Tevez (twice) and Carrick didnt score Ill never know:
    Manchester United Team Statistics Chelsea
    1 - Goals - 1
    1 - 1st Half Goals - 1
    5 - Shots on Target - 1
    5 - Shots off Target - 18
    3 - Blocked Shots - 6
    5 - Corners - 8
    22 - Fouls - 25
    1 - Offsides - 2
    4 - Yellow Cards - 4
    0 - Red Cards - 1
    80.4 - Passing Success - 71.1
    27 - Tackles - 28
    66.7 - Tackles Success - 60.7
    55.9 - Possession - 44.1
    52.5 - Territorial Advantage - 47.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I have to say I'm glad for Terry. His attitude is brutal and is always hounding the ref. But the main reason I'm glad for the phucker is seeing him spit in Tevez's face while pretending to wipe his nose after Drogba was sent off. Dirty kunt.

And actually, while I'm on the subject did any of the commentators mention this filthy act? It was clearly caught on camera and the whole scene was replayed plenty of times but I didn't hear any commentator mention it. Anywho, thankfully Tevez got the last laugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And actually, while I'm on the subject did any of the commentators mention this filthy act? It was clearly caught on camera and the whole scene was replayed plenty of times but I didn't hear any commentator mention it. Anywho, thankfully Tevez got the last laugh...

Dont you know by now English players are not thugs and anything they do like spit on peolpe is not to be talked about

Dont you know by now English players are not thugs and anything they do like spit on peolpe is not to be talked about

Particularly Terry, the laws of soccer were written with one rule for him and a different one for everyone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Firstly as a united fan, I'm very very hungover :o.

Secondly united you have had 3/4 goals in the first half, I think getting 2 would have killed the game. Great work by Brown and Scholes and a fantastic finish by Ronaldo.

After about 35 mins Chelsea really controlled the game. Rooney wasnt good. Tevez, Vidic were immense for me. Terry made some good interventions. Drogba was missing for the game and what an idiot to strike Vidic. I see that as a key turning point as he surely would have put a penalty away. Though Chelsea were unlucky with hitting the wood work twice.

Terry, I just dont like him, greta player but he just looks like a chav. I feel for him though having missed a penalty myself he's probably still crying. Anelka -> Waster he'll be off to Marseilles or someone.

Ferguson was also delighted for Paul Scholes, who broke his nose in a clash with Claude Makelele but carried on to erase the disappointment of 1999 when he missed the final through suspension.

Ferguson said: “The disappointment of ’99 has gone now for him. He was very groggy at half-time and we had to give him some tablets.

Scholes = Legend

From http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhgbcwsngbgb/

I would have liked Scholes to last the entire match and for Park to make an appearance.

Over all Chelsea played better but a bit of bad luck cost them the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Firstly as a united fan, I'm very very hungover :o.

Secondly united you have had 3/4 goals in the first half, I think getting 2 would have killed the game. Great work by Brown and Scholes and a fantastic finish by Ronaldo.

After about 35 mins Chelsea really controlled the game. Rooney wasnt good. Tevez, Vidic were immense for me. Terry made some good interventions. Drogba was missing for the game and what an idiot to strike Vidic. I see that as a key turning point as he surely would have put a penalty away. Though Chelsea were unlucky with hitting the wood work twice.

Terry, I just dont like him, greta player but he just looks like a chav. I feel for him though having missed a penalty myself he's probably still crying. Anelka -> Waster he'll be off to Marseilles or someone.

I would have liked Scholes to last the entire match and for Park to make an appearance.

Over all Chelsea played better but a bit of bad luck cost them the game.

What!?

Did you see the same game as everyone else.....???!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    What!?

Did you see the same game as everyone else.....???!?

Yeah!

Chelsea did play better, they just couldnt stick the ball in the net with the chances they created!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Grant or none of the Chelsea players offered Congrats to United last night. Chelsea were given a guard of honour by Utd. players when they went to get their medals.
    I just think Chelsea are absolutely classless!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Yeah!

Chelsea did play better, they just couldnt stick the ball in the net with the chances they created!

United dominated the first half. Chelsea the second. I think United were the better team in extra time

Yeah!

They hit the post twice from snap shots, otherwise they didnt create much, just dominated possession.

United created the better chances.

Tbh I dont give a rats ass how we did it whether we dominated, were dominated, scored with our asssses etc, it doesnt matter.

WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROUPE AND NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US.

grahamo wrote: »
    United dominated the first half. Chelsea the second. I think United were the better team in extra time

agreed until the extra time bit. Think it was even steven there bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Drogba hit the post, Terry hit the post with his peno, that's the difference between winning and losing, a very even game won on a knife-edge of luck, two great teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

They hit the post twice from snap shots, otherwise they didnt create much, just dominated possession.

United created the better chances.

Tbh I dont give a rats ass how we did it whether we dominated, were dominated, scored with our asssses etc, it doesnt matter.

WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROUPE AND NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US.

According to Wiki of the final

Possession
    Man utd........ 58 %
    Chelsea ....... 42 %

Shots
    Man Utd.........11
    Chelsea..........18

On Target
    Man Utd...........5
    Chelsea............3

Grant or none of the Chelsea players offered Congrats to United last night. Chelsea were given a guard of honour by Utd. players when they went to get their medals.

Thats an excellent point, united gave them the guard of honour, Scholes commiserated with them before celebrating and United players acknowledged Chelskis efforts and got no grace in return.

Plus why o why did Kenyon get a medal? Sir Bobby refusing a medal was great, the guy is a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Call_me_al wrote: »
    :eek:the pitch is perfect, even Terry said so before the game. are you a united fan by any chance?

United fan of course and pitch was looking good on tv and they made some huge corrections in 24 hours before game but still it more looked like ice than grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Absolutely agree.

Terry is a scumbag. I hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

have people seen this yet
    Apologies if this is like the 20th time today, but has to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Nah its not the 20th.....more like the 21st :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Lads chelsea players were all congratulating udt players, but ye;ll see what ye want i guess. Fair play to Paul Scholes, seen him consoling Terry and the team for the guard of honour. If only their supportors were as gratious in victory. Any way well done utd, best team in Europe this year.

I've no idea what game most were watching because after the match Chelsea did congratulate the united players. I saw it for a good while on the cameras the Chelsea players offering congratulations.

I have to admit though when I saw Kenyon going up for a medal I did think what the hell is that tool doing up there.

Also love the way the rules we had last year (bans) for when people called Gary Neville a scum bag, (I got banned for it myself), seem to go out the window when it comes to Drogba, Terry and pretty much anyone from Chelsea. Double standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Also love the way the rules we had last year (bans) for when people called Gary Neville a scum bag, (I got banned for it myself), seem to go out the window when it comes to Drogba, Terry and pretty much anyone from Chelsea. Double standards?

Dont Cry

Lampard or Grant didnt congratulate united in their post match interviews!!!

Dont worry, bout a thing, cause every little things, gonna be alrite!

• Advertisement

I have to admit though when I saw Kenyon going up for a medal I did think what the hell is that tool doing up there.

I know I thought the same. See how happy he was that his team won too.

KERPAL wrote: »
    Dont Cry

Lampard or Grant didnt congratulate united in their post match interviews!!!

Dont worry, bout a thing, cause every little things, gonna be alrite!

Who's crying. I'm simply pointing out the double standards of boards. If you slag a united player you get a banning but anyone else is fair game.

Also I know everything will be alright. Coming 2nd in the league and a CL final only to loose on pens is a hell of a good season for a club in turmoil. I for one am happy at the outcome of our season. No shame at all in loosing on penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Kenyon was the club representive just like Bobby Charlton was representing his club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He has only won 2 European Cups a certain Bob Paisley has won 3

Is he the first ever to win two, but neither one in 90 minutes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

cheesedude wrote: »
    Terry is a scumbag. I hate him.

Cop on.

Would you all be full of praise for the opposition if you went 120 minutes in a CL final (The biggest match of the season) then lost it on penaltys when you could and should have won it?
    I dont think so, i wouldnt, easy for me to say as a Chelsea fan but i cant see how anyone would be.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Is he the first ever to win two, but neither one in 90 minutes?

He won the first one within 90 minutes.

Stoppage time is what the TV stations add on as they dont stop there watch. The ref stops his, and plays 90mins. He doesn't go oh the 90mins are up sure we will play for a bit more for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Yeah like what the frick was that about? If they had won it still wouldn't have been appropriate for a guy in his position going up especially when he used to work with Man Utd.
    I wasn't following it that closely, but maybe was he collecting Drogbas medal (didnt see if Drogba went up for his one?)

chdpoker wrote: »
    Cop on.

Would you all be full of praise for the opposition if you went 120 minutes in a CL final (The biggest match of the season) then lost it on penaltys when you could and should have won it?
    I dont think so, i wouldnt, easy for me to say as a Chelsea fan but i cant see how anyone would be.

OK in fairness you took his quote out of context.

If he has just wrote “Terry is a scumbag” then yes bannable, but he didn't he wrote agreeing with a poster that Chelsea are classless for apparently not congratulating United on the win (which neither Grant nor Lampard done) and that Terry is a scumbag for that. Also for apparently spitting on Tevez.
    d

gucci wrote: »
    Yeah like what the frick was that about? If they had won it still wouldn't have been appropriate for a guy in his position going up especially when he used to work with Man Utd.
    I wasn't following it that closely, but maybe was he collecting Drogbas medal (didnt see if Drogba went up for his one?)

As I explained before 20 meadal are presented on the pitch/stadium.

One for the club -> represented by Kenyon/Charlton
    Manager - > Grant/SAF
    Players -> 11 starters and the 7 subs.

10 others are then given to the club to give out as they wish. Not sure if this is both clubs or just the winning club.

P.S grant took Drogbas medal, he was handed two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If he has just wrote “Terry is a scumbag” then yes bannable, but he didn't he wrote agreeing with a poster that Chelsea are classless for apparently not congratulating United on the win (which neither Grant nor Lampard done) and that Terry is a scumbag for that. Also for apparently spitting on Tevez.
    d
    He didnt spit on Tevez.

Would you be up going round congratulating Man United if you were a Chelsea player after last nights match?

I've no idea what game most were watching because after the match Chelsea did congratulate the united players. I saw it for a good while on the cameras the Chelsea players offering congratulations.

Yeah, it's not enough to win, some fans also have to piss all over the losers. Now that's classless.

And you're also right on the Terry remark. There was no context in the post to excuse it. I reported it, did you?

chdpoker wrote: »
    He didnt spit on Tevez.

Would you be up going round congratulating Man United if you were a Chelsea player after last nights match?

Well the video certainly suggests he did.

A quick shake of the captains hand while you walked past him to get there runners up medals would have sufficed they didn't even recognise the Man U players at all. Two of them were interviewed (Lampard and Grant) and not one of them said as much as fair play to them, not even fair play they took there chance, nothing.

d

To be fair, that's not true. There is no mention of Terry in the post he referred.

Well the video certainly suggests he did.

A quick shake of the captains hand while you walked past him to get there runners up medals would have sufficed they didn't even recognise the Man U players at all. Two of them were interviewed (Lampard and Grant) and not one of them said as much as fair play to them, not even fair play they took there chance, nothing.

Maybe they congratulated the sh1t out of them off camera.

Please try to enjoy the result without being a bad winner. Seriously, what do you need to be satisfied, that your club win and the opponents, defeated, are also hung drawn and quartered. If you can't take victory with grace, you must be a real delight when you lose.

Wow how did people not see chelsea players congradulating utd players? And grant and lamps just lost the cl on pens. They just answered what they were asked and left. Sorry the didnt drop to their knees and service evry utd player jesus. YE WON, BE HAPPY!

• Advertisement
Advertisement