Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

Options
  • 30-04-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

This may be a bit of a vague question, but what's the going rate for designing/making websites? Nothing complicated, simple html pages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A few pages, with professional graphics - About €200-€350. Ish. Depends on the level of quality.

When you start talking web backends and such, can range from 500 to a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

The going rate depends on experience really. Someone doing a nixer maybe around the €500+, someone trying to make a living out of it €2,500+. The more skill, experience and knowledge of the industry, the higher the price usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

only_human wrote: »
    i'll do it for 300 as long as its not complicated.

You really know how to sell yourself!!
    To clarify, I'm not advertising a job, just doing some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

A professionally done unique looking website design can cost between 1k and 5k depending on whats required. When were looking for folks to take on a website for us the bulk of companies came back with costs from 4k to 5k [not that we went with them :p]

There's plenty of threads on this already, just search for "website cost" here on the forums. Here is one such example

I have found myself that these kind of website design questions can often boil down to striking a good raport and working relationship with the website designer. Going with the cheapest option is not always the best route. If you can find someone that you find works well with you and what you require, even if they may not be the cheapest option, it can often be for the best.

A good website designer will try to do what you asked for, but will also suggest other perhaps better methods of delivering the goal based on their past experience of knowledge of knowing what works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

only_human banned for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

A professionally done unique looking website design can cost between 1k and 5k depending on whats required. When were looking for folks to take on a website for us the bulk of companies came back with costs from 4k to 5k [not that we went with them :p]

There's plenty of threads on this already, just search for "website cost" here on the forums. Here is one such example

I have found myself that these kind of website design questions can often boil down to striking a good raport and working relationship with the website designer. Going with the cheapest option is not always the best route. If you can find someone that you find works well with you and what you require, even if they may not be the cheapest option, it can often be for the best.

A good website designer will try to do what you asked for, but will also suggest other perhaps better methods of delivering the goal based on their past experience of knowledge of knowing what works.

100% agree. Well said.
    Evil Phil wrote: »
    only_human banned for a week.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Beware of the sub 1k-1.5k market. These people generally use premade templates or something like Google sites. Generally its work you could do yourself quite easily and for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Thanks for the helpful posts. Just realised too that i didn't quite post this thread in the right area :o , but i got the answers i was looking for.

Sound out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

These people generally use premade templates

You can read me like a book Evil Phil :D Course I always tell my nixers that these are templates that I use - which gives them the opportunity to head off and find other quotes of they wish. I've enough to keep me going after my 9 to 5 that I don't to chase down every sniff of business. Plus the bulk of my work is behind the scenes stuff anyway so I'm rarely doing will sites from start to finish.

Oddily though when they hear the prices for custom designs from others they tend to come back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I hope the quote is "Free"

Holy div-itis batman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

I offer very good prices....email denzil@denzillacey.com
    Let me know what you need and i can offer a competitive quote
    includes design/hosting/email

www.denzillacey.com
    You are currently browsing this site with Internet Explorer 6 (IE6).

NOTE: This -> template <- is compatible with IE6, however your experience will be enhanced with a newer browser.

The last version of Internet Explorer 6 was called Service Pack 1 for Internet Explorer 6 and was released in December of 2004. By continuing to run Internet Explorer 6 you are open to any and all security vulnerabilities discovered since that date. In October of 2006, Microsoft released version 7 of Internet Explorer that, in addition to providing greater safety in navigation, which allows the Internet Explorer browser to identify as' modern browsers'. Microsoft has launched Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update, and is now available to download for free without any certification requirements. As of Feb 12th, 2008 Microsoft is forcing updates to Internet Explorer 6 in order to move people towards the much improved and secure version 7. Please ensure you don't hamper this process. It's for your own good!

You probably should change the word, highlighted in red above. :D
    What do you quote people then for design/hosting/email?:P

And yes, I'm using IE6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

There is a website - www.elated.com

You can use their free templates, which look good, once you ask their permissions if its a commerical site.

Check the PageKits section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ain't nothing wrong with templates when they're used right.

Frankly, the difference between an average web designer and a great web designer is massive. But if you just want to transmit information to 80% of the population, an average web designer will do.

If for some reason you need:
    - Disabled people, or people with old computers to access your site
    - Some very fancy graphics or strong technical requirements
    - Everyone on all devices to be supported (eg. iPhone, Netscape 4...)
    then you should splash out on someone that will do this for you.

Edit - Oh, and looking at this thread I see (in my opinion)
    - Good design --> http://www.davidbehan.com/
    - Meh design --> http://civiliantarget.net/noise/
    - Bad design --> http://www.denzillacey.com/

Can you tell the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Beware of the sub 1k-1.5k market. These people generally use premade templates or something like Google sites. Generally its work you could do yourself quite easily and for free.

I think that alot of very good designs that aren't templates can fall into the sub 1k range.. Generally from students who are very good at what they do, but aren't confident in the price that their work is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think that alot of very good designs that aren't templates can fall into the sub 1k range.. Generally from students who are very good at what they do, but aren't confident in the price that their work is worth.

I'll second that, Web designer in the company I work does a lot of nixers in the <1000 price range. Purely to expand his portfolio. Not much use to your portfolio if you've copied and pasted a template :P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I offer very good prices....email denzil@denzillacey.com
    Let me know what you need and i can offer a competitive quote
    includes design/hosting/email

www.denzillacey.com
    Is your site meant to be a business website?
    This site is dedicated to the late
    Michael Jackson
    1958 - 2009

I'm lost for words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Well, at least we know he updates it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

juror wrote: »
    This may be a bit of a vague question, but what's the going rate for designing/making websites? Nothing complicated, simple html pages.

only what, two years too late but hey, I started at about 500+...
    y'know.. in case anyone else wants to know...

:P?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oops! I don't know how I came upon this thread! Sorry :(

Advertisement