Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Coated Guitar Strings

Options
  • 30-04-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Much as I don't really want to diss anyone's product...
    I do have an issue. I am not alone in this. Guitar strings with a coating do not record well. They are OK for live work. A godsend for the sweatyhanded perhaps. However they are vile to a microphone up close. They have caused me and others, hours of grief when mixing. I don't have scientific tests to prove this but I have a theory. Coated strings are not homogenous. They are two materials. Because of this their vibrations are not perfect. I reckon the harmonics are out of tune. As you go up the harmonic series it gets worse. The result is a metallic harshness in the tone. I encourage anyone to test this for themselves. Put on a set of El.... or SP or XP record it but keep note of the mic position, gain etc. When the string die, decades later, put on a set of Phosphor Bronze and record the same music. Night and Day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Thats very interesting.

Would love to hear a AB of that.

Also, Welcome too.

Advertisement