Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Chelsea....

• 01-05-2008 1:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭

Right who can doubt Avram Grant now..................

The man has lead us to the Champions League Final and we are level on points with ManYoo,

My Question is

Is Avram Grant a good manager................honestly.........What does everyone think?!?!? Its not luck knocking out the champions league luckiest team liverpool!!!!!

The man has surley proven he deserves a year in the job at the very least

COME ON THE FCK CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

tis luck boyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Liverpool lucky in the champions league? where's the evidence Mr. Poker? enjoy your night pal hope you's do united.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Liverpool lucky in the champions league? where's the evidence Mr. Poker? enjoy your night pal hope you's do united.
    bitter????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

chdpoker wrote: »
    bitter????

yes hes terribly bitter after saying he hopes chelski do utd. and then the sheer gall of him to say enjoy ur nite... ppl these days.. :rolleyes:

Jazzy wrote: »
    yes hes terribly bitter after saying he hopes chelski do utd. and then the sheer gall of him to say enjoy ur nite... ppl these days.. :rolleyes:

Exactly, fair is fair Chelsea were the better side tonight, i'm sick about losing but but i'll take the loss with some grace, shame some winners can't do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Frankly, i m delighted chelsea made it to the final , bet the 'special one' isnt feeling so special anymore.

About the luckiest team comment, picking liverpool over AC Milan is rather laughable.

So Liverpool we lucky to beat AC Milan? The only lucky thing i saw in that game was Schevchenko missing at point blank range. Yeah Milan were a better side but we beat them fair and square.

Poker said we were lucky in the champions league, you dont win the champions league through luck, have a word with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Grant is obviously an excellent manager. Chelsea played very good football last night too, and on Saturday for what that's worth. If Jose hadn't timed his walk-out to gift your closest rivals 3 points in a 6-pointer, the league would already be yours. Jose was a brilliant manager too, but Grant is showing he can match (and perhaps surpass if they win in 3 weeks) Jose's achievements. And Grant isn't alienating neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

So Liverpool we lucky to beat AC Milan? The only lucky thing i saw in that game was Schevchenko missing at point blank range. Yeah Milan were a better side but we beat them fair and square.

Poker said we were lucky in the champions league, you dont win the champions league through luck, have a word with yourself.

A better way of putting it is that this is the first time in years the top two teams from Europe have reached the final. In all fairness to Liverpool, they may be good at the competition but there's no way they could call themselves the best in Europe on squad quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

chdpoker wrote: »
    Right who can doubt Avram Grant now..................

The man has lead us to the Champions League Final and we are level on points with ManYoo,

My Question is

Is Avram Grant a good manager................honestly.........What does everyone think?!?!? Its not luck knocking out the champions league luckiest team liverpool!!!!!

The man has surley proven he deserves a year in the job at the very least

COME ON THE FCK CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!
    As Paul Merson said on Sky Sports the other week "I could get Chelsea to where they are now, look at the squad for god's sake! Its a case of picking the team and keeping egos massaged"

I know its Merson who said it but I have to agree in a lot of ways! Grant has made some bogey substitutions in his time there which have cost them points but other than that hes picked a team to win, not difficult really with the resources at his disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Sizzler wrote: »
    As Paul Merson said on Sky Sports the other week "I could get Chelsea to where they are now, look at the squad for god's sake! Its a case of picking the team and keeping egos massaged"

I would have fancied liverpool to win last night if Merson was incharge of chelsea :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I know its Merson who said it but I have to agree in a lot of ways! Grant has made some bogey substitutions in his time there which have cost them points but other than that hes picked a team to win, not difficult really with the resources at his disposal.
    gucci wrote: »
    I would have fancied liverpool to win last night if Merson was incharge of chelsea :o

Question lads, if it was that easy, how come Jose couldnt do it?

Merson is nothing but a clown. Grant should be shown a bit of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cause Jose was sooooooo far away, wasn't he.

Tauren wrote: »
    Cause Jose was sooooooo far away, wasn't he.

Well he was further away than Grant but yet had loads of respect. Whereas Grant is mocked. Makes no sense.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Well he was further away than Grant but yet had loads of respect. Whereas Grant is mocked. Makes no sense.

Grant is working with Jose's squad though - standing on the shouler of giants 'n all that.

Honestly, i do not think Chelsea would be any worse off with Jose in charge, especially if Jose had received the same backing Grant has been given as opposed to being undermined.

But Tauren, Grant is achieving more with Joses squad than Jose could?!

And Grant isnt being undermined? What about the media? he is a laughing stock! its a disgrace tbh.

Success is a fine line, and last night, Grant took a step closer to the grand prize than Jose ever did with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Have to agree with Mr Alan on this.

Delighted for Chelsea. Thought it was a cracking game.
    Roll on the final!

Well done Avram. So much for Avram "Can't"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I think Avram has proven now that he is a good manager. He's just a bit 'different' and, thus, the tabloids don't like him too much. If you go back to your school playground days, you will recall that the 'different' kid was the one that everybody hated/mocked. The same thing applies here.

And Grant isnt being undermined? What about the media? he is a laughing stock! its a disgrace tbh.

Success is a fine line, and last night, Grant took a step closer to the grand prize than Jose ever did with Chelsea.
    Grant is being supported by the club, jose was not. What the media say doesn't matter. Grant got to spend millions in Jan, jose was thrown some free transfers.

Tauren wrote: »
    Grant is being supported by the club, jose was not. What the media say doesn't matter. Grant got to spend millions in Jan, jose was thrown some free transfers.

Jose was supported at the club.
    Wat the media says matters a whole lot, expecially at a club like Chelsea.
    Grant got to spend millions in Jan, Jose only got free transfers?

Just out of curiousity, how much did Jose spend before that Jan? Yea i thought so.

Look i'm not saying Grant is the business or anything, just that he deserves some respect.

• Advertisement

People who think Grant is less competent than Mourinho are showing what type of newspaper they read (i.e. tabloids). You could also make the case that they are showing what little intelligence they have.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

For this discussion I shall merely quote a wise man from a little over two years ago:
    RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I stand by my assertion, that with the amount of stolen russian money being spent, Graeme Souness could have taken Chelsea to where they are.

Only joking but, seriously guys, don't believe everything you read in the tabloids. Plus, in case ye didn't know, those sports columns that are apparently written by Giles, Brady, Dunphy, etc, aren't written by them at all. They just have their name put on them.

Jose was supported at the club.
    Wat the media says matters a whole lot, expecially at a club like Chelsea.
    Grant got to spend millions in Jan, Jose only got free transfers?

Just out of curiousity, how much did Jose spend before that Jan? Yea i thought so.

Look i'm not saying Grant is the business or anything, just that he deserves some respect.
    Jose was undermined by the club, the appointment of Grant being one of the major ones.

The money spent by Jose is being used by Grant. Grant has done ok - but it would take a truly terrible manager to be shown up by this chelsea squad - man for man they are just too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Chelsea deserved to win last night,Liverpool was awfull,only i am sorry Chelsea wont get trophy coz United will beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus lads, comparing Grant at this moment in time to Jose is ridiculous, if you want an answer now Grant isn't fit to tie up Jose's duffle coat.

Grant got what Jose never got and something you need to get to a final of a CL, a large slice of luck.

I have no Doubt Grant is a good but an unproven manager, don't judge him now or next year, if he is fortunate to be in the job for 3 years, judge him then.

Remember he has won nothing won yet, something Chelsea arn't used to of late.

Could Grant do what O'Neill has done at Villa, challenge for Europe with 14 odd players? I have my doubts, I have no doubt that O'Neill at Chelsea with all the resources would be a major success. That's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Luck?

What Luck?

Luck doesn't make you CL Finalists and level on points atop the EPL with two games to go ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DesF wrote: »
    Luck?

What Luck?

Luck doesn't make you CL Finalists and level on points atop the EPL with two games to go ffs.

Rise - 94th minute spectacular own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

When jose had the team the way he wanted(ie:the first 2 seasons) they were incredible in england, they were unstoppable. They played ugly football under both managers but the difference was that they were convincing under jose, better organised and the mentality was spot on. I still maintain that this squad is winning despite grant and with every game and every unconvincing performance i watch i am just expecting the bubble to burst. We have been lucky and scraped through an awful lot of games this season, take Boro at the bridge recently, but under mourinho it was a case of take the lead shut up shop, like it or lump it.

I dont buy the argument of them getting to the CL final under grant being a huge accomplishment, ok its not as easy as some people are making out but lets take those results in isolation - last year we lost on peno's, 3 years ago it was a dodgy goal by Garcia. This year, we won by 1 goal, a 95th minute 1st leg howler by Riise, the difference in all these games has simply been luck IMO, they were all incredibly close. Apart from that, Jose won pretty much every thing else didnt he? League performance is the better indicator of how good a team actually is, and you just cant deny that when jose was in control they were one of the most dominant teams ever in the EPL, that is certainly not something anybody can say about them right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Yes it is the squad Jose build, But AVRAM has this Squad playing as a team and has done a fantastic job in rebuilding the club/team spirit through a very hard period of the club's history. Remember nearly everybody wrote off Chelsea this season and some where even thinking the club would fall apart after Jose's departed.
    Also under Jose you always felt that he could never get all his squad playing and working together i.e. Ballack and Lampard etc
    Yes I know not all the squad was Jose's choice but it does on change the fact that this feat has been achieved by Avram .
    Sometimes I would question some of his choice like last night playing one of the best midfielders (Essien ) at RB but these are the strange decisions all managers made all the time ie Fergie's Anderson off for O Shea, Last night Rafa's Torres off Kuyt stays on......
    Think he is on a learning curve (yes the depth of the squad helps this learning curve big time)BUT he has achieved a lot in his first year and deserves a lot credit for this.
    He also has done enough this season to let him have another season (even when he finishes empty handed :D )where he can bring in a few more player of his choice , off load a few . And be really judged next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I rate Grant very highly, in fact I would say he is a major factor in the turn round at Pompey. I am really pleased for the guy, he is a very decent chap by all accounts as well.

Good Luck Chelsea in Moscow, it should be a crcking game, especially if they can pip Man U to the league beforehand as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Yes it is the squad Jose build, But AVRAM has this Squad playing as a team and has done a fantastic job in rebuilding the club/team spirit through a very hard period of the club's history. Remember nearly everybody wrote off Chelsea this season and some where even thinking the club would fall apart after Jose's departed.
    Also under Jose you always felt that he could never get all his squad playing and working together i.e. Ballack and Lampard etc
    Yes I know not all the squad was Jose's choice but it does on change the fact that this feat has been achieved by Avram .
    Sometimes I would question some of his choice like last night playing one of the best midfielders (Essien ) at RB but these are the strange decisions all managers made all the time ie Fergie's Anderson off for O Shea, Last night Rafa's Torres off Kuyt stays on......
    Think he is on a learning curve (yes the depth of the squad helps this learning curve big time)BUT he has achieved a lot in his first year and deserves a lot credit for this.
    He also has done enough this season to let him have another season (even when he finishes empty handed :D )where he can bring in a few more player of his choice , off load a few . And be really judged next season.

The only downside of the last week is that Grant might still be there next season, I still believe he is out of his depth, I think crediting him for keeping a team together during the Jose leaving period is daft, he was at least in part responsible for bringing that situation about.

With the same luck Jose would be in the same place and probably have won the league by now to boot.

I think the reason we may be doing well under this manager is that he is so clueless that the players are now able to play the way they want rather than risking a bollicking from Mourinho if they didn't follow instructions to the letter. He can't have too much of a managerial role as the team don't even seem to know who is going to be taking the free kicks pre match.

its all irrelevant anyway , if we win we're stuck with him for a few months most likely, if there is another manager lined up to take over this summer with Avram moving back upstairs then who the hell would want to take on the job with a football director who can always point out their own CL success ? If we lose we lose, but a final night is down to the players even more than the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If I had Merson's skill and career, I'd not be penniless and living back home with my parents in a council flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not really though. If the difference between them is 1 goal or 1 penalty in the 2 semi's then it's not really that different. On anoter night Chelsea might have won one of the other Semi's against Liverpool, when it comes down to being as close as it was, the management doesnt make that much difference. Did anything Jose do make Gudjonsson put that shot wide in the last min in 05? Is there anythign Grant could have done differently that would have made him score. Thats the difference we're talking about here. It's not like Jose never came close to where Grant is now in the CL and on another night Liverpool might have gotten one or both peno's and Chelsea would be out, leaving Grant as the lesser manager by a distance in most peoples eyes. Grant could very easily end the season with nothing. IMO his only hope is winning the CL final, with is entirely loseable. So I wouldnt see winnign nothing, regardless of being in the CL final as eclipsing Jose.

Advertisement