Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-May 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Spits and spots here last hour or so, seems to be making slow headway.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Quite heavy down here supercell on and off.

Raining properly now, well, enough to wet the ground anyhow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just started to rain here now. Hope we get a good drenching. Spuds could do with it!

A

arctictree wrote: »
    Just started to rain here now. Hope we get a good drenching. Spuds could do with it!

A

I saw one of the houses in Ballinastoe had a sprinkler going in the garden the other day, can you believe that!!

Just goes to show how dry its been in the east last couple of months.
    That rain seems to be dying a death as it moves north, don't think we'll see more than 3-5 mm from it tbh, not really enough.

• Advertisement

Thoroughly wet down here.
    Got utterly drenched even going from the carpark into tesco in arklow.
    Windy too.
    My rain guage doesn't record very well in driving rain.
    It's only picked up 4.8mm so far and a rain rate of 3.3mm/hr but I can categorically tell you it's much heavier than that.
    It's making noise as it hits the window in this room for instance.
    Floods of water outside and on the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Bone dry here all day but very menacing looking over the south of Dublin.

14.1c
    70% rh
    1019.1mb
    Wind east 6-10mph

Thoroughly wet down here.
    Got utterly drenched even going from the carpark into tesco in arklow.
    Windy too.
    My rain guage doesn't record very well in driving rain.
    It's only picked up 4.8mm so far and a rain rate of 3.3mm/hr but I can categorically tell you it's much heavier than that.
    It's making noise as it hits the window in this room for instance.
    Floods of water outside and on the road too.

If it was winter you'd be buried , I'd have a centimetre or so and Snowbie would be in his car driving south :D

This rain band has no legs, I seem to be on the very northern periphery of it, I'd guess by Blackrock in Dublin there's nothing measurable falling from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    This rain band has no legs,

:D

My advice. Be patient, nice lump of reds forecast for East & southeast tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Rain has just started here in the last few minutes. High of 17.1C earlier, now 13.4C.

• Advertisement

nemonoid wrote: »
    Rain has just started here in the last few minutes. High of 17.1C earlier, now 13.4C.
    Ditto, not too heavy yet.

3 weeks of easterlies today if only this was.......:D

Moderate rain here now, 3.4mm so far, 3.8mm/hr rain rate.

Lol
    If this was february with this wind source and we'd be having a blizzard proper :D

Still lashing rain down here.
    The Davis is up to 7.4mm now but I reckon way underestimating the totals being in a very exposed field,the water is just gushing past it in sheets and making lots of noise hitting the window here.

Temp down to 9.9c now

Jeeze, BB you've no idea how much I miss conditions like that!!

Its raining here but nothing like that, only 3.8mm so far which seems about right (if it as winter I'd be deliriously happy and seriously jealous of you though).

0.zippo mm of rain here. Has stopped after a short burst.

The ground is very dry and rock hard here.

4.6m mm here, going tobogganing tomorrow, see - I didn't need to go to Naul to meet the good NE precip this year!

8.8c here, light rain. Ah, t would be much more exiting a few months back!

Up to 5mm now, pleasantly surprised, thought 5 mm was upper end of probability.

8.9mm
    The real total is probably closer to 12mm allowing for the squall's earlier blowing over that guage.
    It's eased off considerably now thankfully and the wind has died down.

We've had rain twice in the last week or two that hasn't reached artictree or supercell-the ground here is not so parched at all.
    Whopping good growth out as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Recorded the grand total of 0.5mm so far, just enough to wet the ground!

Temp 9.9C in a light easterly breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.9mm in total here yesterday/overnight. 13.8mm in total for the month so far.

Looks like southern England is having another drenching at the moment.

Total remained at 8.9mm with some underestimation with the wind.

Total for the month so far for this part of the "sunny" southeast is a whopping 53.9mm-so no drought here! The Easterly over the last while sure brought in the welsh imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

How unusual is this persistent easterly wind at this time of the year ?

Secman

secman wrote: »
    How unusual is this persistent easterly wind at this time of the year ?

Secman

Its not really unusual and I doubt whether its noticed by the general public. If this was July/August or Jan/Feb, it would make the weather quite noticeable. We normally have a run of easterlies every year for a few weeks...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A mixed sky overhead, still the wind doth blow, mild.

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really heavy rain skirting the SE coast. If you were to go by Meteox, it dosn't make landfall (at least in the next three hours anyway).

Nice but windy day here - blue skies to the north of me and 100% cloud to the south of me - intermitant sunny spells here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clouded in fully here, windy. Reckon it won't be too long before the wet stuff arrives.

Mike.

Looks like that rain is about to hit Waterford and is heading inland at Wexford. Its got a westerly track so could take its time moving North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Total remained at 8.9mm with some underestimation with the wind.

Total for the month so far for this part of the "sunny" southeast is a whopping 53.9mm-so no drought here!

Hi BB, it actually may be the correct total as I know from my own experience that a good stiff wind can often make rain seem heavier than it actually is. The driving rain we get quite regularly in Ireland during the winter months especially, while thourougly unpleasant to be out in, often dosen't amount to much. The wind I think can just make it appear to be more forceful than it actually is.

The old saying "no weather is ill when the wind is still" I think has some potentcy!!!

As for the "sunny southeast". Isn't it about time ye had a drop of rain down there to give us westeners a much need break from it!!:pac:

Sunny here in the west:) with some finger shaped cirrus. Breezy.

19.2c
    53% rh
    1018.3 mb falling slowly.

• Advertisement

Very thundery looking sky to the south east and south now complete with wavy clouds and mammatus.
    Rain is immininent-looks like the pinks reds and whites are just nearby according to the UKMO radar :eek:
    Wind is very strong again gusting almost to 40mph at ground level.

Advertisement