Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an Xbox 360 DVD drive

Options
  • 01-05-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all

Sorry if this question has being asked before I did a quick search and found nothing.

Anyway my mate's Xbox 360 DVD drive has died, and he wants me to replace it. I know you can flash a Xbox 360 DVD drive with custom firmware. What I would like to know is if I buy the same drive and flash it with the custom firmware will it work.

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yes, AFAIK

The firmware on your DVD drive needs to contain an eeprom that matches your 360 mobo. so even if you dont want to play copied games your still going to have to flash the new drive (with either original firmware or custom)

I guess its easiest if you match the drive like for like, if it was a samsung, buy a samsung etc (speaking of which i #may# have a spare samsung drive!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah its a case of basically cloning the old dvd drive with the new one by copying the existing firmware from the old drive onto the new one

this could prove tricky if the old drive is completely borked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You flashed the drive for your friend did you?

The USB stick or floppy you used would have had both the original and the custom firmware on it, you hardly backed it up did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rick James

buy a new dvd drive , open the drive and swap the current pcb board with the new one and you will not have to flash it again

Advertisement