Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Crap" in domain name - problems?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I've an idea for a website and I'm thinking of a domain name that has the word "crap" in it.
    I'm fairly sure that the type of person who might find themselves at my site wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm wondering:
    • Does anyone here find the word "crap" offensive?
    • Will "crap" in my domain name cause problems with search engines... I.e. will it get classified as "adult" or anything?
    • Will it cause problems with emails? I.e., will links to urls with "crap" in them be blocked or treated as junk?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Don't know about offensive, but if it were me I'd be afraid of the mental association (as in "that website is a load of crap")....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

with the filters I use at school every day(which is standard across ireland), they would block all sorts of websites, and I'd very cautious about using a domain with the word crap in it. I once went onto a rugby related website, with scrum in it's URL. But because it had "cum" in it, it got blocked. I'll have a look tomorrow and tell you how I got on.

Regarding the offensive bit of it, I dont find it offensive at all.

Nev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

nevf wrote: »
    I once went onto a rugby related website, with scrum in it's URL. But because it had "cum" in it, it got blocked.
    ???

The letter sequence "cum" is not contained in the word "scrum".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    ???

The letter sequence "cum" is not contained in the word "scrum".
    Correct. Apologies for not mentioning that it was spelt wrong on the homepage. We discovered it after using a proxy..
    It was spelt as "Srcum" in numerous places on the homepage. Bad typo errors but they hindered the website. It does show how ineffective filters are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So don't try to register a domain containing "scrape" or "scrap" then :).

I recall reading something years ago which may not actually have been true. Basically someone had uploaded a recipe which used chili powder. An image was used for illustration with the filename "hot.gif". Some filtering software proceeded to block the entire site due to the filename being interpreted as representing something completely different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

Thanks guys... suppose I should play it safe!

I remember sending an email to a female friend saying "what's up pussy cat".

Needless to say, it never arrived at its destination :-)

Advertisement