Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The smoke monster

• 01-05-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Well now that we have seen a fair bit of him/her/it what do you think it is? Machine? Monster?

Nice link for monster appearances (may contain spoilers):

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Monster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I thought it was pretty cool that Ben can control it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Does all this mean Ben killed Eko? That B**t

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thejem

i would say yes, but i say he was weeding out people that were coming close to something.

it was a great episode though, can't wait for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But wasn't Echo on the list,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ben can't control Smokey, he just summoned him. A metaphoric Bat signal if you like. However I expect there's a price he'll have to pay for doing so, otherwise he would have called him in much sooner. If anyone "controls" Smokey it's probably Jacob.

As for what the monster actually is, I don't know, not a machine anyway and nothing to do with Dharma. I think Smokey goes back to the very origins of the island. Perhaps something to do with the island's volcano and electromagnetism.

• Advertisement

Ben can't control Smokey, he just summoned him. A metaphoric Bat signal if you like. However I expect there's a price he'll have to pay for doing so, otherwise he would have called him in much sooner. If anyone "controls" Smokey it's probably Jacob.

I think control was a strong word, but its more than summon also,
    prehaps direct is the best. As in he directed him toards the Boaties.
    As for using him sooner, prehaps that was part of the rules that Ben refered to, once they broke the rules, Ben did too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

But why would they set out rules? Can you imagine Ben and Widmore sitting down at a kitchen table discussing this?

BEN: Ok, if we're gonna do this whole hunt thing, there's gotta be some rules. You can't kill my daughter
    WIDMORE: She's not your daughter you've never had sex
    BEN: Shut up
    WIDMORE: But you're gay
    BEN: Dude, just leave her alone
    WIDMORE: Whatever. I'll leave her alone if you leave Penny alone
    BEN: Deal
    WIDMORE: And you can't summon Smokey
    BEN: Ah cmaaan
    WIDMORE: No
    BEN: Cmaaaaaaaaan!
    WIDMORE: NO!

Seriously like, I'm not liking this whole "He broke the rules" thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I think it's probably more an unwritten code that they both knew intuitively.
    Much the same way as you have a child molester in prison, first chance they are usually killed as even the hardest of criminals know that crosses the line.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I think it's probably more an unwritten code that they both knew intuitively.
    Much the same way as you have a child molester in prison, first chance they are usually killed as even the hardest of criminals know that crosses the line.
    Meh, common sense FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I propose the smoke monster and Jacob are possibly one in the same. Remember when Locke stared down the smoke monster before it pissed off into the jungle, i'd say that it/he saw something in Locke that made him/it think twice. Possibly that Locke would be the one to save the island.

So Jacob now thinks that the islands fate no longer lies in the hands of Ben but in Lockes, thats why Jacob showed himself to Locke and not Ben. The reason why the cabin was shown to Hurley was just like everything else on the island it happens for a reason. The plane crashed so people would be there to defend it from Widmores men who had already found it and were en route when the plane went down.In that vein i think Hurley will probably play a much bigger part in the whole Jacob story arch as it progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think smokey is some kind of insect swarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

WIDMORE: And you can't summon Smokey
    BEN: Ah cmaaan
    WIDMORE: No
    BEN: Cmaaaaaaaaan!
    WIDMORE: NO!

Where’s my Oscar? :D

I dunno. The monster seems to come out of holes in the ground. Like the one it tried to drag Locke into. Also the dynamite "hurt" it. Aside from the fence it's the only thing that has effected it that I can remember.

I'd say it's computer/machine related. It appears to have a programmed reaction to different people it meets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

this theory is based on this
    one thing that kind of annoyed me was when the captain asked what was on martin's arm it panned to it and you can quite clearly see it's one of these

http://www.korg.com/gear/enlarge_product.asp?prid=GA30

wtf is kemmy going to do with a guitar/bass tuner strapped to his arm?

i think that the smoke around this so called monster is caused by sonic vibrations and if the thing strapped to Kimmys arm really in a tuner, then maybe he's hoping to find out the frequency of the sonic vibrations surroundin this thing, shut it down so he can either see what he's fighting against or to destroy it. it stands to reason that if Whitmore knew where the island once was, he'd surely know of the islands not so friendly pet, and he might even know how to deal with it ie. the Darma book Kimmy pulled from the safe.

i just googled and done a wikipedia search on sonic vibrations and it seems that they can be used to make and object fly so maybe that how ol smokie moves so effortlessly thru the air!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

cool theory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Jay Ru wrote: »
    this theory is based on this

i think that the smoke around this so called monster is caused by sonic vibrations and if the thing strapped to Kimmys arm really in a tuner, then maybe he's hoping to find out the frequency of the sonic vibrations surroundin this thing, shut it down so he can either see what he's fighting against or to destroy it. it stands to reason that if Whitmore knew where the island once was, he'd surely know of the islands not so friendly pet, and he might even know how to deal with it ie. the Darma book Kimmy pulled from the safe.

i just googled and done a wikipedia search on sonic vibrations and it seems that they can be used to make and object fly so maybe that how ol smokie moves so effortlessly thru the air!

Interesting theory, but if that was the case would they not have just brought this thing on there 1st trip to the island? Surely the one thing they would have taken precautions against would be the mysterious killer black cloud thingy, i know i would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

i wud of brought it to, but Ben only summoned smokie after he claims that "they broke the rules" so maybe Whitmore figured that Ben wouldn't dare to use smokie against his men and that why its only mentioned in the secondary protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

briantwin wrote: »
    I propose the smoke monster and Jacob are possibly one in the same. Remember when Locke stared down the smoke monster before it pissed off into the jungle, i'd say that it/he saw something in Locke that made him/it think twice. Possibly that Locke would be the one to save the island.

So Jacob now thinks that the islands fate no longer lies in the hands of Ben but in Lockes, thats why Jacob showed himself to Locke and not Ben. The reason why the cabin was shown to Hurley was just like everything else on the island it happens for a reason. The plane crashed so people would be there to defend it from Widmores men who had already found it and were en route when the plane went down.In that vein i think Hurley will probably play a much bigger part in the whole Jacob story arch as it progresses.

Hurley could possibly pay the most by leaving the island as he is the first one to be struck down with a 'mental illness'. Everyone likes Hurley, the only altercation I can think of is when the food was found and another character wanted to know why Hugo never lost weight.

On a different angle here, why didn't the island want Hurley to lose weight?, surely hes not at a healthy one. Is it to help keep his confidence down so in ways he can be much more easily manipulated.

Advertisement