Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with goons sending mass emails via blackboard?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey chaps,

Anybody been getting emails from randomers lately?

I got an email from someone asking has anyone got exam tips.... of course, they forgot to mention what class it was for!

And this morning I got a chain mail :confused: Something bout Microsoft

Anyone else got any silly ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dave, you know there is a facility on Blackboard to email any student or everyone in your module right?

i would have no problem helping Randomer McRandomer out because i'm a helpful person :)

the chain mails sound pretty gay tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I know Jonny, and I'd help them too -- but they didn't say what the module was !!! And it doesn't say anywhere (as far as I can see)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I've got emails from a tool who apparently doesn't know anything going on. He once sent a email at 4pm asking about a seminar held at 4pm!

Then he asked what variables we should use for our quantitative project, which are chosen relating to your project topic, research problem and question.

He also asked what was the deadline for seminar notes, supposed to be handed in at every tutorial but he didn't do so and handed them up late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Hey chaps,

I got an email from someone asking has anyone got exam tips.... of course, they forgot to mention what class it was for!

i got that one too! pretty funny as it could have been one of the six modules im in! I emailed her back to discover she's a 3rd Reicher..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭CrazyPolly

I've gotten a few ridiculous ones this year.....people thinking that they're being big jokers...

One was sent which simply said "[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I'm gay and proud of it".....I'd imagine it was someone having a laugh.
    Another one entitled "My Tampon" went like this-

"[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I have recently lost my big box of tampons aroud ucd. there super flow ones. if any one comes across them or just wants to buy me sum gimme a holler.
    Paddy Out
    P.s. ive attached a picture for those of you who dont know what they look like

:confused:
    And of course there was a picture of a tampon attached
    [/FONT]
    There really are some tools out there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Strangely I've never gotten one of these. However I did get one in response to the 'Blackboard Backpack' email that went around. Someone hit 'reply all' and then gave out about it not working on a Mac.

And as a class rep I've had lecturers appealing to me to tell the class not to send them emails asking "When is the exam?" with no details about who they are or what the subject is. Must get annoying, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

CrazyPolly wrote: »
    I've gotten a few ridiculous ones this year.....people thinking that they're being big jokers...

One was sent which simply said "[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I'm gay and proud of it".....I'd imagine it was someone having a laugh.
    Another one entitled "My Tampon" went like this-

"[/FONT][FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I have recently lost my big box of tampons aroud ucd. there super flow ones. if any one comes across them or just wants to buy me sum gimme a holler.
    Paddy Out
    P.s. ive attached a picture for those of you who dont know what they look like

:confused:
    And of course there was a picture of a tampon attached
    [/FONT]
    There really are some tools out there :rolleyes:

got the gay and proud of it one.........which would have been hilarious if anybody knew the chap:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

got one which was

RE: Exam Tips?!
    oh my god!

is anyone single!?

l need stress free time....

Now i may just be reading into that too much, but i cant get any other meaning from it than: Im stressing exams, looking for someone to sex me and give me exam advice. Now im not gonna hit that on general principle that sending out mass emails is lame but there must be some happy, nerdy psychology/philosophy student who had lots of exam tips and is still hanging on to the free condoms we got on freshers day.ugh.

I actually helped one of them once and they never thanked me or anything, ****ing cheek of some people.
    edit - i didnt sex them, i sent them exam related information. Wouldnt want to be ambigious when im complaining about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe they should disable the email feature in blackboard - it mustn't have been available when we used to have courses on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I think it's more a case of people becoming aware of it.

We have it and I've only used it for email class notes etc.

Better than a class text sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Hey chaps,

yea check this one out this was in my email box when i checked it tonight what a scam:D

I am khalid mahmoud from Bahrain,I have been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. It has defied all forms of medical treatment,I have few months to live. I have decided to give alms to charity organizations. I cannot do this myself because of my health. I have Eighteen Million dollars ($18,000,000,00) with a security company abroad. Can you help me collect this deposit and dispatch it to charity organizations? You will take 20% for your assistance.
    I WOULD WANT YOU TO REACH ME VIA MY PRIVATE EMAIL IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ASSIST ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Don't worry, Khalid's cool - I did Ag Science with him last year. There's not a thing he doesn't know about Massy Ferguson tractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yea check this one out this was in my email box when i checked it tonight what a scam:D

I am khalid mahmoud from Bahrain,I have been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. It has defied all forms of medical treatment,I have few months to live. I have decided to give alms to charity organizations. I cannot do this myself because of my health. I have Eighteen Million dollars ($18,000,000,00) with a security company abroad. Can you help me collect this deposit and dispatch it to charity organizations? You will take 20% for your assistance.
    I WOULD WANT YOU TO REACH ME VIA MY PRIVATE EMAIL IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ASSIST ME.
    Dunno what you're talking about, that sounds like a good deal!

Advertisement