Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits and Lease

Options
  • 01-05-2008 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I gave notice on my apartment at the start of April. Fixed term lease that has 2 more months to run. Bad timing I suppose on my part. I had to leave to start a new job in Scotland.

I know that I'm not entitled to get my deposit back, unless I can find someone to replace me on the lease. The letting agent has also said they are witholding the deposit. When I moved in originally I explained that I may have to leave early - no problem they said. Retaining my deposit in my mind is a problem???? Gonna check the lease for a break clause, but I think I'm screwed.

One question - If the letting agency has someone lined up to move in to the apartment - can they still withold the deposit? Should I just pay the rent for the next 2 months, and be awkward with viewings etc - This will get my deposit back, but at the cost of another months rent!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They can't willy nilly keep your deposit, they have to give a reason why. However, under the Residential Tenancies Act, you can nominate a replacement (which would have to be acceptable to them).

Cut your losses.

Advertisement