Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crappy t.v

• 01-05-2008 11:12am

I want to get an xbox 360 for my room! ive noticed on some games it says 60hz only! does this mean i wont be able to play certain games on my 10 year old t.v?? or is there a way around it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Get the VGA kit and use it on your monitor. The res will be a million times better*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

^:D - Way to get round it = Get something else!!! :rolleyes:

If your tv is that old and I doubt it was ridiculously high end 10 years ago, you'll not have 60hz option.

What you can do is look at the back of the Xbox game boxes though.

Any game that has "60Hz Only" written in the small green icons at the bottom won't work on your TV.

Gears and Hitman off the top of my head are 60hz only games.

So you can buy wisely with no 60hz option in mind or ... :( €€€ ...get a new tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    ^:D - Way to get round it = Get something else!!! :rolleyes:

If your tv is that old and I doubt it was ridiculously high end 10 years ago, you'll not have 60hz option.

What you can do is look at the back of the Xbox game boxes though.

Any game that has "60Hz Only" written in the small green icons at the bottom won't work on your TV.

Gears and Hitman off the top of my head are 60hz only games.

So you can buy wisely with no 60hz option in mind or ... :( €€€ ...get a new tv.

I heard you could hook the xbox up to a vcr's input scart socket and broadcast a 60hz game onto a 50hz tv through the regular auxiliary cable. Just tune in the channel. I never tried it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You should look into getting a Sega Dreamcast, might be a better option for an old tv like that.

Seriously though. Get the VGA adaptor cables and run it through your computer monitor in HD or look into investing in a semi decent tv. They are cheap as hell these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I recommend this ebay seller if you want to get the VGA cable.

http://tinyurl.com/6j53on

I got that one for around €13 inc p+p with buy it now. They're the real deal too.

Edit: He's got two for sale at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

the tv i used to have in my room was 60hz (and it was cheap, only had 1 speaker aswell) and ive now had a new one for about 2/3 years and i had the one before that for several years before it broke so you never know, chances are it might be 60hz, although i wouldnt know how to find out. google the model maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Don't know if it'll work with your TV. I had a newish Philips TV 32PW9509 that only took 60Hz if you used the advanced scart cable(RGB scart). When I used the regular composite that comes with the xbox it wouldn't work with the 60Hz games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

i dont understand why people play next gen consoles on old technology. whats the point? when i first got my xbox i straight away got a vga cable so i could hook it up to my old crt. then got a 19" lcd, then upgraded to a samsung 32".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

danbhala wrote: »
    i dont understand why people play next gen consoles on old technology. whats the point? when i first got my xbox i straight away got a vga cable so i could hook it up to my old crt. then got a 19" lcd, then upgraded to a samsung 32".

Money is the big stumbling block I guess.

It's fine for me now as I'm in a full-time job that pays well but back in the days of the SNES, I missed out on so many good games and the Megadrive because I just didn't have the money. Title I bought then were at budget prices and I had to rely on birthdays or Christmas to get new releases.

Those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I heard you could hook the xbox up to a vcr's input scart socket and broadcast a 60hz game onto a 50hz tv through the regular auxiliary cable. Just tune in the channel. I never tried it though...

Not sure sounds a bit wishful thinking that the VCR could change the signal like that.

I could be wrong though!

It's fine for me now as I'm in a full-time job that pays well but back in the days of the SNES, I missed out on so many good games and the Megadrive because I just didn't have the money. Title I bought then were at budget prices and I had to rely on birthdays or Christmas to get new releases.

Those were the days.

At least now we know why our parents complained that they cost so much!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Those were the days.

Indeed, those were the days, the days when we used to play games to death, finding every secret and beating every level because games were scarce. Nowadays, with more money, there's always something else worth playing that reduces the longevity of whatever you're playing currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Indeed, those were the days, the days when we used to play games to death, finding every secret and beating every level because games were scarce. Nowadays, with more money, there's always something else worth playing that reduces the longevity of whatever you're playing currently.

+1

Advertisement