Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help Quick!

• 01-05-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi, bit of a panic, my girlfriend was working on a word document she downloaded from her email for a couple of hours last night. its a college project and is due in at 12 today, when she went to open it this morning she couldnt find it, anyway what I think happened, is she selected open instead of download when she opened the attachment and then just kept clicking save all night. so i presume that it would of been saving in a temp folder or somewhere. Is there any way of finding it? I've had a quick look through temp and temporary internet files.

Thanks a milion

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

I'm guessing she didn't give it a new filename and save it so it might still be there somewhere amongst the temporary internet files. Your best bet is probably to use the search feature with advanced options -eg - when was it modified select from 1/5/08 to 1/5/08 - make sure the search includes hidden files and folders. Don't just search for .doc as it could be .tmp or something else. You could search for a word or phrase that might only be in that particular document. If I think of anything else I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

have tried this but no joy so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Which browser?

The laptop is running Vista with Internet Explorer and its a word document

IE7>tools>internet options> (click "settings", click "view files")

• Advertisement

no sign of it there, I have checked and the previous version of the document she had saved was 339KB before she did a few hours work on it. I sorted the files in that folder by size and biggest is 188KB. Maybe its hidden? how do you show hidden files in Vista.

thanks

kev

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Click Folder Options
    4. Click the View tab
    5. Click Show hidden files and folders
    6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    7. Click OK

done that thanks, still nothing showing of that size in Temporary Internet Files or Temp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

This is probably not what you want to hear but I tried this myself. My email from work will not let me open without saving first to my local drive. I then tried with gmail. I was able to open an attachment, change it and save it. I then tried to get at the new document. When I use tools-options-settings under temp internet files - it looks like there's a link to the new file but I cannot open it. It has the right time on it - as in the time after I made the changes. Itried dragging it cutting/pasting but no joy. All it does is try to open gmail again and link to the old file.

I tried to look using explorer and under documents and settings - (username) local settings -temp internet files - I can see that there are 9 hidden subfolders and its possible it could still be in there but I can't get at them. I was able to get at these before using a DOS window but I had to know the name of the subfolder - usually something like VZHTWSYU

I'm using XP and IE6 so somebody else might have more info about Vista and IE7. I did find one article here that may be of help - a bit of the way down this it shows how to view these 'superhidden' files

http://www.vistareadygames.com/showthread.php?t=63756

Sorry I can't be of more help

thanks for your time and input, all help greatly appreciated.

kev

• Advertisement

that link helped find lots of files but looking through it all nothing seems to be a doc or around the right size or around the right time. i think she may have to just redo the whole thing tonight as she spoke to her lecturer who allowed her an extension until tomorrow (was supposed to be handed in today)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If she was using outlook and edited the file in the email instead of saving it that it goes to temporary internet folders.

Best to save the attachment to the local drive.

If all else fails you could search for files containing text, put in a unique name that appears in the document, it will take a long time though

Advertisement