Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Need to fix the toilet

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi All

Is it easy to fix your own toilet or is it really expensive with a plumber?

We had a problem with our cold water in the bathroom it stopped working but the hot water still runs. we think its airlocked so that should be easy to sort.

But my bof decided to check the toilet and obviously there was no water in it as the cold water stopped running so he decided to lift the floating ball and when he did the bloody think fell off!!!

I hate dealing with the landlord so I would rather try fix the toilet myself as our lease is up at the end of may and I dont want him to take the money out of our deposit for the repairs.

Please help... Can you buy the parts yourself and fix it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

need to bump this thread.

My andlord is coming over on saturday... need help fast folks!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As far as I know, and this is from when I was curious when I was about 8 years old and looked in the cistern, the thing that fell off, is not supposed to be secured on anyway to allow it to float up and down, the cistern never fully empties I don't think, so if you fill it with water each time you need to flush, it should be fine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like you'll need a bew ball valve. Turn off the water supply and replace it.

You'll need someone with basic tools and diy knowledge would be a bit of a help though it's not a difficult job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

check to see if the ball-valve is "side entry" or "bottom entry" (if the pipe into the cistern is coming from the bottom or the top)
    simple job but if your not comfortable doing it try and get someone with a recommendation from a friend,work colleague etc.
    should be a 10 min job, "should" being the important word
    really its not your problem and your entitled for the landlord to pay for it and to organize the plumber

Advertisement