Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a very dry upfront vocal sound.

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I'm recording a track at the moment where I'm trying to get a real close, dry, upfront heavily compressed vocal sound. I used to do this with an AKG C300b, and it was one of the few things I reckon it did well. However I actually can't find the bloody thing :confused:

Now I'm using a Nuemann KM140 and Groove Tubes Brick. The sound going in is grand but massaging it into that dry tighty raspy sound is proving tricky. Anyone got any ideas or tricks for when there doing this thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I always find that I get a better result by molding the eq of the backing for them sections so that i only need a very slight airy eq with a bit of a mid boost and a compressor on the vox.

The end result is a little cleaner and less processed and the backing instruments dont really get affected too much as the overall picture is nice.

Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Not sure I get you chief! :o Do you mean EQ the other instruments behind the vocal?

I just mean that if you want a nice upfront and clear vocal sound, you want to create all the space it needs in the track. So instead of heavily processing the vocal sound (which often ends up sounding weak and artificial) try subtly eqing the instruments that are behind it. As you do this you will hear the vocal start to pop out. Then just add a very small amount of EQ to taste and a compressor.

There should not be an issue doing this if the vocals are the main thing at that part (and if your looking for an upfront sound i presume they are).

So assuming you have a nice signal going in, which it seems you do, mess with the other parts of the puzzle to get the vocal piece to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I assume you're compressing the bejeesus out of it, yeah?
    That Bones Howe 1176 at 12:1 attack at 6 release at 7 thing works sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

frobisher wrote: »
    I'm recording a track at the moment where I'm trying to get a real close, dry, upfront heavily compressed vocal sound. I used to do this with an AKG C300b, and it was one of the few things I reckon it did well. However I actually can't find the bloody thing :confused:

Now I'm using a Nuemann KM140 and Groove Tubes Brick. The sound going in is grand but massaging it into that dry tighty raspy sound is proving tricky. Anyone got any ideas or tricks for when there doing this thing?

Have you tried using www.auralex.com (acoustic panelling and creating a small booth?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

if it's the sound i'm thinking of (the dry raspy up front thing) use a 58 and get the singer to sing really quietly really close to the mic, and whack the gain up.

that's if it's the sound i'm thinking of.

dav nagle: I've built a booth with duvets. Not acoustic paneling but far better than otherwise. I'm happy enough with that end of it.

jtsuited: Good thought. I actually think it's the Nuemann that's not the right tool here. I've been turning to it for most jobs but I've a couple of Beta 58's and a regular 57's, will try em and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It has to be asked if we need these fancy mic's when everyone goes back to a 57 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Plug in a Distressor, press 'ON' ....... Job Done

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Plug in a Distressor, press 'ON' ....... Job Done

Fair enough so, can I email you a wav? :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Fair enough so, can I email you a wav? :D:D:D

Of Course! if it's in tune that is!! I'm in Clara now actually...

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Of Course! if it's in tune that is!! I'm in Clara now actually...

Well in that case I'll have it auto-tuned BEFORE sending it. :"What do you mean you hear melodyne artifacts? That's the way I sing dude." :p

The track's not done yet. But if I don't get the desired results when it is done I might throw up a mp3 of the track here for boardsies, send down a vocal for you and Joe to jump on in The Nutshed then we can all give it an eist to see what the distressor has done for it. Could be an interesting wee project for the forum.

Aye Aye!

I'm still up for this Paul, Just gotta lay down a final vocal for the track. Playing Whelans next week so might not get to it before then what with rehersals and other jibs. But will do it after and we can whack up the results for everyone come the time.

This sounds great lads. Def could be a nice idea. I read a good interview with the designer of the distressor before

Advertisement