Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie help!

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for some help. Basically for the last 5months ive been doing a lot of cycling (spinning) in my local gym, we've just finished a replica of the Giro D'italia and now we will be starting the tour de france next week, which runs over 30weeks. Im really enjoying it and as are the class so our instructor is going to organise road meets every week were we head out as a group etc.

My problem is that the bike I recently purchased, is totally unsuitable for road use, Its a Giant suspensioned frame with off road tyres etc. Its in excellent condition and at the time (2months ago) I paid 300euro for it. But after trying to cycle it to and from work a couple of times I realise now that its brutal for long road journeys. So my question is are there any bike shops in and around dublin that do trade ins and also sell decent beginner racers. Also how much would I (or should I) expect to pay for a half decent beginner bike. Ive seen from ads online they can range anywhere from 400-over 3grand, and thats for second hand bikes. I will be using the bike at least once a week for long journeys (20miles+) and maybe weather dependent to and from work (6miles each way).

Apologies if my questions are slightly vague, thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

allybhoy wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for some help. Basically for the last 5months ive been doing a lot of cycling (spinning) in my local gym, we've just finished a replica of the Giro D'italia and now we will be starting the tour de france next week, which runs over 30weeks. Im really enjoying it and as are the class so our instructor is going to organise road meets every week were we head out as a group etc.

My problem is that the bike I recently purchased, is totally unsuitable for road use, Its a Giant suspensioned frame with off road tyres etc. Its in excellent condition and at the time (2months ago) I paid 300euro for it. But after trying to cycle it to and from work a couple of times I realise now that its brutal for long road journeys. So my question is are there any bike shops in and around dublin that do trade ins and also sell decent beginner racers. Also how much would I (or should I) expect to pay for a half decent beginner bike. Ive seen from ads online they can range anywhere from 400-over 3grand, and thats for second hand bikes. I will be using the bike at least once a week for long journeys (20miles+) and maybe weather dependent to and from work (6miles each way).

Apologies if my questions are slightly vague, thanks in advance for any advice.

simple thing would be to put a set of slicks (specialized fatboys are a great slick) on the bike = more speed and are less knobbly, that would make you faster and buy a cheap rigid fork (is it a full sus??), 20 miles would not be a long spin and to spend allot when your just starting might not be recommended in any sport! but this is subjective...

what model giant bike you got, giant are great bikes!!? can the front be locked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

hmm.. Its an acid frame, bought it on adverts.ie, (looking for pix now),theyre are suspension struts on the front wheel, they are adjustable but its still fairly springy even with the suspension turned right down, but the frame itself feels too small to cycle long distance on so dont think upgrading just the wheels would fix it

Found it.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=38948&cat=all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That's a bizarre looking bike - what's the saddle doing back there. Most bike shops don't take trade-ins and wouldn't give you much off. You're as well off selling it yourself, on Adverts or elsewhere.

You're looking at EUR700 or so for a good quality road bike e.g. Specialized Allez, Giant SCR etc.

What's this replica Giro and Tour business? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh ive put an advert up on adverts.ie so ill see what happens. There are a couple of nice looking racers on adverts for about 300-400 so if i can shift it ill try and get a bike.

The spinning is done by an instructor, the classes are an hour each and I think every 2 classes represents a stage, the instructor has a big print out and tells us what ressistance to put the bikes on and obviously is pushing us all the way, sprints\climbs etc. There is also a big screen of like a video of the tour de france or the giro, Im not sure how accurate it is but its very tough and it really does help shift the pounds. Like ive done normal spinning classes and they are easy compared to these.

Advertisement