Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal wall removal - planning permission

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm hoping someone can advise me

I understand that removing an internal wall in an apartment complex does not require planning permission. (The wall removed separated 2 bedrooms - making one bedroom) Can anyone advise the actual legal wording of the exemption would be. Is the exemption part of a specific building regulation

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wouldn't assume that it doesn't need planning permission. Obviously interfering with a loadbearing wall could adversely affect other properties (and what's loadbearing can be far from obvious) and the fire regs are far stricter than in single occupancy dwellings. If you make any alteration like this you could have to bring the whole property up to the latest fire regs. I'd seek professional advice if I were you. Sorry :(

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This isn't just a matter of removing an internal wall (loadbearing or otherwise). You also need to consider the following:
    • Converting the apartment from 2 bed to 1 bed will reduce its value/appeal significantly.
    • Each apartment development is granted planning based on a certain density (x number of 1 bed, y number of 2 beds, z number of 3 beds & so on). By changing your apartment from 2 to 1 bed affects the density of the overall development & therefore may require planning permission.
    • If you ever want to sell your apartment you may run into problems as the property will be described on the plans as a 2 bed, but it will be quite apparent that it is now 1 bed. Conveyancing solicitors may advise clients against purchasing a property that doesn't match the description in the deeds.
    I'd suggest speaking with someone in the planning office of your local authority before I start knocking down walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Forgot to mention that the Construction & Planning folk may be better able to advise you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This has been dealt with in the C&P forum, but just for completeness, i'll respond to the above.

Planning is not require for internal modifications, unless there was some condition attached.
    [*]Converting the apartment from 2 bed to 1 bed will reduce its value/appeal significantly.
    [*]Each apartment development is granted planning based on a certain density (x number of 1 bed, y number of 2 beds, z number of 3 beds & so on). By changing your apartment from 2 to 1 bed affects the density of the overall development & therefore may require planning permission.
    [*]If you ever want to sell your apartment you may run into problems as the property will be described on the plans as a 2 bed, but it will be quite apparent that it is now 1 bed. Conveyancing solicitors may advise clients against purchasing a property that doesn't match the description in the deeds.
    • It may or may not reduce its appeal, as the one bed will be much larger than other one beds and go for more than them. Above all its the OPs choice to do so, even if he loses money.
    • That is true that most developments are based on density, but there is nothing in planning law that says that this density can't be changed after building is constructed. Just as in a housing estate, a row of 8 3 beds could get planning and once built, they could be changed to four beds. This would not affect exemption.
    • Deeds shouldn't matter either. The appartment will be advertised as a 1 bed. Again, a housing example, a house could have bedrooms added or removed without problem.

The only issues are really fire and structure. And neither are likely to be a problem. Infact, fire could be improved.

Advertisement