Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for J1 for this Summer

• 01-05-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

I still haven't even made any sort of inquiries, never mind an application for a student Visa for this summer.

My plan is to go to Boston, where I have a good few friends living there. So that's my accomodation sorted.

So, where should I go to get myself all visa'd up in time?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Well according to USIT the earliest day you can fly out is the 10th of June because of a backlog of interviews at the embassy. Just call into them and they'll sort everything out.

You have your accomadation already which is handy I have nothing sorted Ill have to wait till I get over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Thanks cooperguy but what I'm actually requesting is where do I actually make my application for the J1. It's not really practical for me to go for a meeting in the embassy since I'm based in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

You have to go for an interview with the embassy, like it or not. Its only one trip so I don't see why its not practical. I know someone who travels up and down from Donegal for college every weekend.

Book it with USIT/Go4less as soon as possible; they'll sort everything out including booking the interview.

I think Go4less give a free j1 fee (279euro off); whereas USIT its only 100 euro off unless u go to one of their stands and get a free voucher. They charge loads extra for insurance and flights which is how they make their money I believe. For a return flight to chicago, insurance and embassy fees i paid 909 euro in total with go4less. Problem is you might have to travel to one of their offices at least once - USIT have an office in Belfast which might be closer to you. Thats seperate from the interview which takes place in the embassy.

armour87 wrote: »
    Thanks cooperguy but what I'm actually requesting is where do I actually make my application for the J1. It's not really practical for me to go for a meeting in the embassy since I'm based in Donegal.
    To get the J1 unfortunatly it is mandatory to attend the interview in Dublin. I met people there who had travelled on busses from cork the same day I did mine. Its a ridicules system and costs a fortune for some students to get there but tis the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yep, i was one of those lads up on the bus for that retarded day trip.
    After going through the whole J1 malarky i ended up gettin a job where i was paid cash in hand!
    On the plus side you dont have to go through the painful procedure of paying tax while your there and then trying to get some of it back. Your better off with the visa cause if your caught without it you'll end up in way too much hassle and probably wont be allowed back in the country again.

Advertisement