Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xtravision etc...

Options
  • 01-05-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

why do so many stores that have an irish website not keep it updated? or even set up properly. i was on the xtravision website earlier and there was a countdown clock to the release of halo 3. it said 147 days left to go, but the game was released last september!!
    There is no list of prices for anything, and no way to order online as far as i could see. i think dixons, currys and pc world are the same with their irish websites? all of them are owned by the one company. anyone know why they don't want us to buy online?
    As far as i know HMV has their .ie domain registered but there isn't a site built. you can go through the .co.uk site, but a credit card is needed. they have maestro, but i think we all know the problems with that.
    I know there is plenty of sites out there from local irish stores but its really the bigger companies that i'm peeded off with.
    Is there anything you think could be done, or is it just a case that we have to put up with it cos they don't really care about us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Good point, it is really annoying. Just another case of us getting a bum deal here. I had a look for the Curries.ie site, it's been under construction for 5 months now! don't even get me started on the Irish Argos site! fecking useless! I couldn't find tv's in their index so I typed it in to the search bar and it said no results! it's the same for toasters and smoothie makers (and that's just what i've noticed so far) the UK site is fully stocked with everything that's in the catalogue! the Irish one must've been produced by absent minded stoners or something!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

alfaz wrote: »
    why do so many stores that have an irish website not keep it updated? or even set up properly. i was on the xtravision website earlier and there was a countdown clock to the release of halo 3. it said 147 days left to go, but the game was released last september!!
    There is no list of prices for anything, and no way to order online as far as i could see. i think dixons, currys and pc world are the same with their irish websites? all of them are owned by the one company. anyone know why they don't want us to buy online?
    As far as i know HMV has their .ie domain registered but there isn't a site built. you can go through the .co.uk site, but a credit card is needed. they have maestro, but i think we all know the problems with that.
    I know there is plenty of sites out there from local irish stores but its really the bigger companies that i'm peeded off with.
    Is there anything you think could be done, or is it just a case that we have to put up with it cos they don't really care about us.

Contact them and let them know they're losing your custom because of the lack of webpage.

Otherwise, why get outraged? Web development costs money. If these business' thought they were losing money because of the lack of websites for a second, they would get it up and running. There's no conspiracy here, just business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

other sites like homebase have good listings online but they have all prices in sterling even on their .ie sites

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Good point, it is really annoying. Just another case of us getting a bum deal here. I had a look for the Curries.ie site, it's been under construction for 5 months now! don't even get me started on the Irish Argos site! fecking useless! I couldn't find tv's in their index so I typed it in to the search bar and it said no results! it's the same for toasters and smoothie makers (and that's just what i've noticed so far) the UK site is fully stocked with everything that's in the catalogue! the Irish one must've been produced by absent minded stoners or something!

There's a notice at the bottom of the main screen telling you they don't have all the electrical items on the website. And if you click the FAQ link you get the following.
    Why can't I find all electrical products on this website?

Some electrical and electronic items that can be found in the Argos catalogue are not available on this website at present. We are currently updating our systems to ensure we comply with the legislation on waste electrical & electronic equipment. Please bear with us while we continue to develop and extend our online range. In the meantime, you can find our complete range of electricals in the catalogue or in your local store.

Got me one time, but then I read the page and it was clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

i'm not sure how long the legislation has been but surely its been in for at least 6-9 months? i can't see that as a reason for not being able to update a website.
    i should get in touch with them, but if ALL these sites are under construction for 5 months or more is there really any point, they obviously aren't too bothered about it. maybe they just want peaple to go into the shop and impulse buy. go in to get a tv, leave with a dvd player extra cables and of course the stand which you already had for the old tv.
    buy it online and all you have to do is click a few buttons and you have your new tv bought without being talked into getting all those extras. i presume thats why they're making so much money and not wanting to set up a site.
    maybe i'm way off the mark but thats thats the way i see it.

• Advertisement

i'm not sure how long the legislation has been but surely its been in for at least 6-9 months? i can't see that as a reason for not being able to update a website.
    i should get in touch with them, but if ALL these sites are under construction for 5 months or more is there really any point, they obviously aren't too bothered about it. maybe they just want peaple to go into the shop and impulse buy. go in to get a tv, leave with a dvd player extra cables and of course the stand which you already had for the old tv.
    buy it online and all you have to do is click a few buttons and you have your new tv bought without being talked into getting all those extras. i presume thats why they're making so much money and not wanting to set up a site.
    maybe i'm way off the mark but thats thats the way i see it.

You're aware shops existed for a hundred years before the internet existed? Why should a business have to provide a website? There's no law, no guideline saying they should, so why should they be rushing it through?

My point is, why are they percieved to be doing wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Because Xtra Vision is owned by Blockbuster in the 'States, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭JohnC.

SDooM wrote: »
    You're aware shops existed for a hundred years before the internet existed? Why should a business have to provide a website? There's no law, no guideline saying they should, so why should they be rushing it through?

My point is, why are they percieved to be doing wrong here?

They don't have to have a site, but they do have one, which they can't be bothered updating. Either keep it updated or get rid of it.

Kahless wrote: »
    They don't have to have a site, but they do have one, which they can't be bothered updating. Either keep it updated or get rid of it.

Is that really a consumer issue? See my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

SDooM wrote: »
    Is that really a consumer issue? See my point?

yea i think it is one. they have these sites set up and don't want to update them or provide a full service to us. this seems to happen to us in ireland quite a lot. hmv has a website set up in the uk but not here and the same with dixons, also for many other companies. i definetly see this as an irish consumer issue, as they are not provinding the full service to us as they do in england. as consumers should we not be given (obviously not entitled to) the same services these companies provide in other countries??

• Advertisement

yea i think it is one. they have these sites set up and don't want to update them or provide a full service to us. this seems to happen to us in ireland quite a lot. hmv has a website set up in the uk but not here and the same with dixons, also for many other companies. i definetly see this as an irish consumer issue, as they are not provinding the full service to us as they do in england. as consumers should we not be given (obviously not entitled to) the same services these companies provide in other countries??

Well- no, really. Not unless you want to rail against every single out of date commercial website (bear in mind I work in IT, so a bad website frustrates me too.)

Different countries, different laws, different regulations.

My point above stands- business' are business'. Don't fool yourself into thinking that customer service is provided for any reason other than law or the acquisition of repeat custom. Companies will provide the the minimum service necessary to ensure the best possible return, by their estimation.

If the consumer were to indicate to them they were losing money not updating their websites, they'd do it in a flash. So why not contact them? And arrage for others to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is there anything you think could be done
    You could offer to work volutarily for the companies in question to keep their websites uptodate :rolleyes:

They are not breaking the law. Contact the websites in question and make your complaint. They do not have to listen though.

Advertisement