Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pack suggestions please?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

looking for a small back pack for longer road spins - need more space for food/raingear etc but cant find anythin on the web - rear pockets just sometimes aint enough...

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

This is what I use for my commutes and it's great:
    http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Berghaus-Bladdered---Special-Deal.html

I call it my Sport Billy Bag cos it's fits more than it looks and has extra netting that converts into more storage space. (I don't use a bladder in it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Loads of good backpacks of all sizes from as little as 7.5l available in outdoor shops, however no matter what the manufactures (Northface, Lowe etc.) say, they all make your back very hot and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What do you bring with you that requires a backpack?
    Bags get uncomfortable on longer journeys. I have successfully completed many 150km+ journeys with just my three jersey pockets, a saddle bag, and whatever will fit in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd suggest some kind of seat-bag - there's a huge range of sizes available. I find any kind of backpack very restrictive on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For what it's worth, I use a variety of Deuter bags with Airstrips on my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Elfentoe wrote: »
    looking for a small back pack for longer road spins - need more space for food/raingear etc but cant find anythin on the web - rear pockets just sometimes aint enough...

any suggestions?

For commuting I use a Berghaus bladdered plus (12 + 5L ) for my commute. They done a slimmed down version called the bladdered with was about 8l or so if i remember. These have since been replaced by some rather funky looking bags that are called the mach series

http://berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1244&Gear=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you're looking for a decent sized saddlebag, have a look at the Carradice range.

For a backpack, I've moved to a courier style Knog bag. My lower back still gets sweaty, but it's not as bad as a full backpack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elfentoe

High&Low wrote: »
    they all make your back very hot and uncomfortable.

yeah never thought of that - especially this time of year too...

its just to be prepared for the typical irish climate especially when heading off early in the morning pre 7/8am as never know how the days gonna pan out...- raingear, arm/leg warmers, tubes etc can take up some space when not needed and i hate packing loads of stuff into the pockets...will try and cut back on the gear like Raam i think and just take what i can...!!

thanks for the suggestions though...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I got something similar to this:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_231419_langId_-1_categoryId_31539
    for my commute. The one I have, has a laptop slot as well. It's big enough, but I carry enough stuff - raingear in either side mesh pocket, tools, spare tube, etc in the front pocket and then clothers, towel, etc in the main pocket. I'll occasionally need to bring a laptop or documents in and out of work too, so the laptop slot is handy for that as it keeps stuff dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I have a bagaboo bag its excellent and very comfy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I have a bagaboo bag its excellent and very comfy.

+1 Best bag I've ever brought, and the bigger sizes fit loads (I've a size large and can easily fit 48 beer bottles in it!)... fantastically made too

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Raam wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I use a variety of Deuter bags with Airstrips on my commute.

i used one of these for my commute as well to carry my clothes for work.
    if im just going out for a spin, spare tubes in the saddle bag, rain coat and food in my pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Definately get a saddle bag, far superior to carrying a back pack.

Carradice are good but more for serious touring type stuff, where you are going somewhere. If you are coming back to your origin point same day you shouldn't have to carry that much. (I would think in terms of buying lunch/supplies while out, just bring the bars/bananas you will need for say 100 km.) If you feel you do need to carry this much though, or are going somewhere you have to bring something, etc. a Carradice bag is a good idea. You could even go mad and get a rack! I have a 400g one on my lightweight tourer and I haven't really noticed it. Besides touring this is really useful for doing shopping, carrying stuff into work, etc.

I used one of these Specialized Dirt Bags for last year's Wicklow 200- it's quite a big saddle bag but still in the "wedge" type. Bottom zip broke though which is annoying, other than that it was perfect. Carried more than I needed.

For raingear I would suggest a Montane Featherlite Smock - only 90g and rolls up into a stuff sack the size of a tennis ball, which you can easily stuff in your pocket. One of the best things I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Does anyone use hydration packs or are they more for mountain biking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would vote more for mountain biking, where it might be difficult to handle a bottle while keeping control of the bike.

On the road you generally won't have this problem and you can carry plenty of water in two bottle cages.

Advertisement