Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing out an old comic collection

Options
  • 01-05-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Read the forum rules and hope this is ok,

Been sitting on my old comic collection for quite some time now and finally decided to move it on rather than have to lug it to a new destination yet again. I was a massive comic book fan and the collection is pretty decent at just over 500 issues of the majority of main titles and publishers. Most were bought from the old Forbidden planet on Dawson St. And Subcity when it was in the fleamarket and also when it moved to Exchequer St.

The've all been kept in great condition and there's quite a few gems in there that cost a pretty penny at the time (circa 93-95). I'm looking to get rid of the lot in one go so have stuck what I reckon to be a pretty low price on them over on adverts. Thought it might be a good idea to post here as well.

It would take forever to catalogue everything so I'd welcome anyone who wants to take a look. They're also incredibly heavy so anyone interested would definitely need a lift.

If you check my profile you'll see I've done the same with all the rest of my other gear I've been hanging on to and have had some great feedback. Likewise if anyone can help with advice etc. it would be great as I've been out of the loop since 1995 so I'm more than a little rusty.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=54755&cat=500

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can understand not wanting to have to sell items in small bundles or individually, and it's fair to say that 500-odd issues for €300 euro is good value for money, but a list of what you've got would really help you shift things.

Bearing in mind that the early nineties would have been prime speculator boom time, it's likely that quite a few (if not most of) the items which sold for ridiculously high prices then are barely worth the cost of the paper they're printed on now. Aside from which I'm not sure how many people out there would be willing to buy an entire collection without knowing what's in it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Good info mate, thanks. I didn't really keep up with much after everything got boxed up. I did think about selling them off in lots of 100 as it would be quite a lot for someone to take in one go but the only problem would be dividing them equally in terms of value. Again this would mean having to trawl through lists of pricing guides and I just don't have the time unfortunately.

I'll see what kind of feedback I get on the ad and if nothing comes of it I might box them up again until I get some more free time.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The problem with comics is that your idea of value and market value are going to be massively different. Chrome covers and all that 90s tack just isnt worth anything these days, looking at the few you have pictures of there I could most likely pick them up on ebay for literally cents each.
    Marvel and DC (and most others) went nuts in the early ninties with "limited editions" and "collectors editions" and pretty much shot themselves in the foot cause they were printing more of these than the regular editions and thus drove the value down a hell of a lot. 300 quid isnt a bad price for 500 comics realistically, I seen someone offered you 100 quid. To be fair thats probably closer to the amount you will get but theres no harm in holding out to see what will be offered. Also, definitly list the comics cause personally theres no way I'd spend hundreds on something I had no idea about.

I just randomly picked a few out of the pile that looked a little more recent. Might be a good idea to do that list as I a lot of the issues I would have considered worth a few quid would actually have been 70's/80's issues that were
    reasonably valuable at the time. Was just banking on a 60c per issue basis to get rid of them really.

Cheers Bombidol.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

D'you mind a brief listing of your Dark Horse comics?

• Advertisement

No probs. Will take me a while to root through so might not be this weekend but will send you a PM when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

No probs. Will take me a while to root through so might not be this weekend but will send you a PM when done.

If you want to send me a pm with any Daredevils you might have as well I might be interested in taking them individually off your hands.

I'm assuming this is Dublin as well?

Doubt I have many Daredevils to be honest, definitely have Electra though. But I'll have a look. Be tomrrow before I'll have the time to go through them.

And yep it's Dundrum, Dublin.

Finally got around to doing up a list of the issues that I have, turns out I'd only 490 and not the 500 I thought.

I've updated the ad and dropped the price to 200 quid which I think is reasonable enough. If anyones interested in viewing the list there's a link on my ad here.

Hopefully the changes will generate a little more interest because after typing up that list I seriously am sick of the sight of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i used to collect comics and stopped in the mid 90's
    i reckon i have about 2000 American comics and about 3-4000 British comics if not more
    i wouldn't know if they were any value now at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement