Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasses and the rain

• 01-05-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

I've been reading the thread about laser eye surgery and have seen a few people say that they find glasses fine apart from perhaps them breaking now and then by accident. However I don't remember anyone saying anything about rain.

I wear monthly disposable lenses (all day - all night) and the reason I went about them in the first place was cos I sick of my glasses being destroyed in the rain. Down came the rain and so did your vision due to rain drops on the glasses.

I still wear glasses occasionaly but hate them in the rain! Is there anyone else who feels that way?

Is there sort of coating that kinda, repels water???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yes! thank god someone has notices it! Can't see a thing with glasses in the rain - and then it's difficult to clean them when the raindrops dry on. Generally just wear contacts if I know I'm going to be somewhere wet outdoors for a long time.

Yeah, when it rains when I'm cycling it can really mess up the vision - I can see better when I've no glasses on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

baseball caps for the win, though I find the combination makes me look like a yank on vacation

What I like about contacts is the clear peripheral vision and not seeing damn frames all the time... not having the constant pressure on the bridge of your nose and tops of your ears... not having to clean them several times a day and being able to look at something without moving your whole head.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Much worse is walking in to a warm place after being outside and they completely fog up,this drives me mad!!

Opening the dishwasher or oven and it having the same affect is a bit of a nuisance too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

The coating you need on your glasses is crizal alize with scotchguard. When the rain falls on the lens it runs off better than on uncoated/anti-reflective lenses, i know our shop has a demo of this coating so you may find it in your local opticians too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

As Shanamic says the lens is the best on the market at the moment. The general public don't really get to know much about the lens suppliers or what the coatings are about. There are other versions out there too ie Jai Kudo (another lens manufacturer do a stayclean which is also hydrophobic. I use this one and I do find it quite good. Another one is Sola's (Now owned by Carl Zeiss) do a teflon coating but from experience this one is only average

http://www.essilor.ie/lensinfo/pdfs/prodinfo/coatmat/coatmat01.pdf

http://www.jaikudo.com/lenses/index.php?pageID=2&g_id=p11_15_cr_fc_hm_es_p:p11_15_cr_fc_hm_es_m&mp=1&gView=M

But do pop in and ask you optician about essilor lens with scotchgard they should have some display gizmos there. When I say opticians I mean independants and small chains not VE or SS

i havent found the stayclean to quite as good as the scotchguard, altho, if you have a high plus prescription and a small frame if you go with the 55mm back-surfaced 1.59 lens from Jai Kudo witht he stayclean, you get the best of both worlds-a thinner lighter lens, (that wont cost a fortune going into high indexs) that repels rain.

Yeah discovered that small stayclean one last week. Your right the stayclean it's not as good as Essilor but a good alternative

yeah its a great little lense, saves using the precal option and makes life in my lab a little easier with less paper!:D

careful now don't give away too many lab secrets:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

glasses fogging up are really annoying

really grinds my gears

Advertisement