Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows won't load!

• 01-05-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

So here is my problem. Every time I turn on the computer I can get as far as the black screen with Windows XP on it, with the bars going across the screen but I can get no further. I've tried booting into safe mode and it manages to load what appears to be most of the files but just freezes after a bit.
    I thought Windows might have been corrupted, so I tried a repair install. During this, however, I get a Blue Screen of Death saying a different thing each time eg "can not find atapi.sys" or "can not find pci.sys".
    Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with my computer?
    I can get into the bios and change settings and all the fans start when I turn on the computer, so I don't think it's over heating. I suspect at this stage it could be my hard drive but I don't want to fork out for a new one to discover that wasn't the problem.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds like the hard drive. I'd do a chkdsk on the hard drive. Can you put it into a different pc or burn a recovery cd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Use windows cdrom ,press r ,chose repair windows installion, you may need to go to bios set boot priority, boot from cdrom/dvd first.reboot pc, boot from cdrom.Some boot files have been damaged or deleted from hardrive .To acess the bios ,usually reboot hold del key or a function key eg f8, f12 ,it,ll probably show the key on the boot screen be4 winxp loads.GOOGLE use recovery console windows xp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the drive first

a repair install won't solve a corrupt registry unless you have an older one handy :(

try getting in to safe mode and do a system restore

long winded to do from the recovery console is to copy an old registry backup from the system restore folder to over the existing registry files,and then if it boots do a system restore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

IF you can load safe mode dos prompt,you can simply copy old backup files to registry to repair it, google repair registry in safe mode dos prompt windows xp,the files that loadup windows are damaged.

Advertisement