Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scouts 100 - Exhibition at the National Museum

• 01-05-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

As some of you may know, Scouts are this year celebrating their centenary in Ireland. As part of this celebration, there is an exhibition on in the Riding School at Collins Barracks.

From the press release blurb on the National Museum's website:
    In 1908, a magazine by Robert Baden Powell,’ Scouting for Boys’, invited young people to form patrols, wear a uniform, be prepared and camp and survive in wild places. It created an exciting adventure for young people from which Scouting grew to become the largest youth movement in the world, with 28 million members worldwide.

In its centenary year in Ireland, a temporary exhibition in the Riding School at Collins Barracks explores the experience, adventure and thrills of young people over the last 100 years. Scouting has an enduring appeal to young people and has become part of the fabric of Irish social history.

The exhibition includes - displays spanning the decades from 1908 right up until modern day. It shows the highlights of Scouting throughout the last Century as it affected millions of young people throughout the world and hundreds of thousands of in Ireland. It also includes World and Irish Jamborees during the past century. Some of the highlights of the exhibit are actual footage of the Founder Baden Powell addressing the Scout Association, mementoes taken from the first ever camp in Brownsea Island back in 1907 and the badge that Eagle Scout, Neil Armstrong brought to the Moon on his historic voyage in 1969.

The exhibition will be open following a grand parade of Scouts and veterans at Clarke Square, Collins Barracks at 2.25pm on Sunday 20th of April. The highlight of the ceremony will be the sounding of a Kudu horn, first used by Baden Powell at the original Scout camp on Brownsea Island 100 years ago and the raising of the World and Irish Scout flags. The Ceremony will be introduced by the Director of The National Museum of Ireland, Pat Wallace who is delighted to be able to host this major event at Collins Barracks.

This temporary exhibition will run from 20 April - September 2008.

The National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts & History, is open from 10am to 5pm Tuesday to Saturday and from 2pm to 5pm on Sundays. Closed Monday.
    Admission to all exhibitions at the National Museum of Ireland are free of charge. Museum shop and Café on site.

It looks good from the literature I've had circulated to me, and I even spotted a couple of bus shelter ads.

I'll probably go and check it out over the weekend if I get a chance. I'll report back with what I think of it.

Advertisement