Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin: 3rd May

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I dunno what it was. still sore on the commute today - will get the bike home tonite and get the luas for the rest of the week I think, give it time to fully rest.
    From what I've been reading it could be the saddle height. Hoping to get out to a mate tonite who runs a sports clinic and is also a cyclist, so he might be able to sort me out - or at least give me some pointers....

But yeah, it's a good group to go out with, so don't be afraid of the distances that are posted up - they're all just numbers, and it's MUCH easier to cycle further distances in a group than solo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

dub_skav wrote: »
    On the knees could it have been too much stopping and starting? I have dodgy knees and find I'm grand until I cool down and go to start again.

that's a very good point dub-skav. we stopped for a coffee in laragh and then went straight onto the wicklow gap. that might not have been the wisest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kenmc wrote: »
    It's not sore to walk or stand, it;s the act of standing up from a seated position, or sitting down, that it hurts - the outside of both knees, just below the kneecap.

I'd be very careful with this as most guys I know who've had knee problems find that they don't go away unless treated and tend to get worse. I'm no expert, but if it's the outside of your knees, it could be Iliotibial Band Syndrome, which tends to affect cyclists and runners. It isn't the knee itself, but rather a tendon that ends at the knee that gets aggravated. You're doing the right thing by getting it seen to straight away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    that's a very good point dub-skav. we stopped for a coffee in laragh and then went straight onto the wicklow gap. that might not have been the wisest.

While its a great spot for a break, I'm always in two minds about stopping in Laragh. Invariably you're doing the Wicklow Gap afterwards and I hate having to go right into the climb needing to get warmed up again.

Yeah I know there's nothing to be gained from leaving it to itself. It's obviously something major if it happened with both legs. What I don't understand is why it hasn't happened before now. Maybe the combination of technique/position and the double mountain climb, coupled with the weather, the coffee break and the colour of my gloves on saturday has caused this :D

• Advertisement

Could be anything and hopefully a doctor will throw some light on it for you. Could be that the problem has been building up over time and only reached a pain inducing state on Saturday or it could be that as you became a stronger rider something changed about your riding style that you haven't noticed. I wouldn't freak out though. You've got a month to sort it and you've plenty of training under your belt already.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Sounds nasty Ken, I guess you got the bad luck at the end of the cycle that I had at the start.

Update:
    So it's the ITB thats causing the problems. Have loads of stretches and exercises to do now. Also, the saddle went up about 3 or 4 cm, and back about the same! Feels really wierd now, like I'm perched on top of the bike! :) Felt strong enough in the knees this morning on the way into work.. Apparently I'll be able to climb much easier with the new position too!

Advertisement