Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolmine Station Car Park closing

Options
  • 01-05-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Just wondering if the rumour I heard that Coomine Station Car park will be closing for 2 yrs as a multi storey car park is going in there - 2 yrs must be an exaggeration???!! How mental will parking become in the area if all the people who currently park there have to find somewhere else....

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If the plan goes ahead the suggestion is that they won't just close the car park, but will actually close the station too until the multi-storey is built. This is because of the potential problems that 300+ cars parking in the neighbouring estates would cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Zaph wrote: »
    If the plan goes ahead the suggestion is that they won't just close the car park, but will actually close the station too until the multi-storey is built. This is because of the potential problems that 300+ cars parking in the neighbouring estates would cause.

That would only make a bad situation an awful lot worse for the area and doesn't make a lot of sense. The 300 people who already park in Coolmine will now park somewhere near Clonsilla or Laurel Lodge, while the people who now walk to Coolmine Station will be forced to drive to Clonsilla or Laurel Lodge to get the train.

I don't disagree, but as it stands that's the plan at the moment from what I've heard. TBH, even if they do that, I can't understand why it would take two years to build a multi-storey on that site. Sure all they'd be putting there is a concrete shell, with probably a little extra work to improve access. And should the car park go ahead there's the prospect of having to pay for parking at Coolmine when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Wont be room to park at Clonsilla either. They are going to make changes there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

2 yrs to build a car park..... could the average private company justify this??

In my opionion if IE are generating revenue by charging to park there the services should be improved and more frequent but I think that could be wishful thinkin on my part!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They should close the car park permanently and put a big secure bicycle shed there instead. There's a lot of people driving very short distances to get to these train stations and all its doing it creating grid lock. A bigger carpark is only going to make it worse. As it will attract more cars. They should put a spur on the line to reach more people, or run shuttle bus around the area, (once the option of parking is gone) to feed the station. You can't keep adding car parking. Its a finite resource and it doesn't address the ongoing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

what2do wrote: »
    Just wondering if the rumour I heard that Coomine Station Car park will be closing for 2 yrs as a multi storey car park is going in there
    According to Roderic O'Gorman's blog, Irish Rail do not intend to go ahead with the multi-storey car park at this time, because of the impact to neighbouring areas.
    BostonB wrote:
    There's a lot of people driving very short distances to get to these train stations and all its doing it creating grid lock.
    Agreed. It takes me 8 mins to walk to the station and there are people who will drive from my road, or closer, to park at the station.

Slightly off topic, I wish Irish Rail would clamp those who park in the disabled persons spaces. Or maybe a mob should trash the cars like in an episode of Seinfeld.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, I wish Irish Rail would clamp those who park in the disabled persons spaces. Or maybe a mob should trash the cars like in an episode of Seinfeld.

I agree. The most you see is one of those stickers, while annoyingly hard to remove according to a girl in the office who has received several of them, they don't appear to be any great deterrent.

The most you see is one of those stickers, while annoyingly hard to remove according to a girl in the office who has received several of them, they don't appear to be any great deterrent.
    I've always proposed putting them on the car body e.g. the door. There is no safety concerns like if the stickers were on the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

daymobrew wrote: »
    It takes me 8 mins to walk to the station and there are people who will drive from my road, or closer, to park at the station.

I've got a similar walk of 5 mins and likewise have neighbors driving to the station who then spend 10 mins trying to find a spot to park in - unbelievable!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Close the whole line and put the station and tracks underground while you're at it. Get these bloody crossings gone once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

Can you imagine the chaos if the whole line was closed!! The buses & roads would never be able to handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

multi-storey is built. This is because of the potential problems that 300+ cars parking in the neighbouring estates would cause.

If it's a private estate with residents and visitors only parking then they can be clamped or get a sticker at least.
    If it's an estate the council look after then anyone can park there, residents and commuters alike.
    If there is illegal parking going on then they are already systems to deal with this, even if it's not strictly enforced.

I don't see the reason for closing the station just because the local residents may get annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

micmclo wrote: »
    If it's a private estate with residents and visitors only parking then they can be clamped or get a sticker at least.
    If it's an estate the council look after then anyone can park there, residents and commuters alike.
    If there is illegal parking going on then they are already systems to deal with this, even if it's not strictly enforced.

I don't see the reason for closing the station just because the local residents may get annoyed.

I doubt they'd close the station as that would be more anoying to the locals than the parking. Not that logic plays any part in these decisions.

Theres a mix of estates that would be effected on both sides of the line. I guess the effect would be to narrow all the roads around to one effective lane, as people would park all over the place.

Theres no parking at the Castleknock/Blanchardstown Station. But I've heard people in the area complaining about computers parking around there too. Roselawn/Laurel Lodge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres no parking at the Castleknock/Blanchardstown Station. But I've heard people in the area complaining about computers parking around there too. Roselawn/Laurel Lodge etc.

Commuters parking on residential roads are one of the biggest pains in the world. On my road the bin truck can't come down the road because of them. We have to put all the bins at the top of the road or they won't be collected.:mad: That is not very nice for the people that live on the top of the road to have all those bins outside their house.

Also the health and safety aspect of it. There are a few older people on the road as well and if something happens to them the ambulance will not be able to get down the road. Or any emergency service for that matter if anything was to happen.

Children that are on the road can't even do anything either because there is no room with all the cars that park on the road.

So this is a note to all commuters that park their cars on ANY residental road:
    DON'T DO IT THINK OF OTHER PEOPLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

I live on Roselawn Road. It's crazy the amount of cars parked there every day by commuters. Residents driving out of the cul de sacs can't even see anything. It is really dangerous. Something needs to be done. Roselawn Road is not that wide, having cars parked on both sides is dangerous.

ang wrote: »
    I live on Roselawn Road. It's crazy the amount of cars parked there every day by commuters. Residents driving out of the cul de sacs can't even see anything. It is really dangerous. Something needs to be done. Roselawn Road is not that wide, having cars parked on both sides is dangerous.
    While the road is just wide enough to accommodate cars on both sides, it does make it more difficult for residents to exit the side roads.

It surprises me that the Gardai are frequently asked about the situation and consistently declare that it is not dangerous.

Residents could ask that double yellow lines be painted on one side of the road. I recommend the side with least houses, though those in the side roads (Roselawn Close, Way and Court) may not agree. The double yellow lines would control parking somewhat (this has helped on the Riverwood Road near me).

I think that you have to look at controlling the parking as elimination will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

ang wrote: »

If some of the residents parked one car smack bang between two houses, this would mean that no one could park in front or behind them, without blocking off a driveway entrance, which is illegal. This should make it easier for the residents leaving home to see what's coming up and down the road, as they try to leave their driveway.

The downside is that some inconsiderate plonker is going to block off your driveway entrance anyway, and you'll be stuck. At that stage, a sledgehammer would be a useful tool. You pays your money...

Advertisement