Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs??

Options
  • 01-05-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey, Im moving to galway next month,

Can anyone recommend what are the good nightclubs in galway
    and where should I avoid.

I'm mainly into techno by the way......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

GPO for techno I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yeah the GPO or the Vic for you, which means I'll never clap eyes on you :pac:

welcome to Galway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

do an pucan still do techno nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry OP. Just ask anyone once you're here. There is only about 7 clubs so you'll quickly find one to your liking.
    Btw, Karma rulez lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Variety is pretty good at the moment in Galway, well compared to a few years ago.
    GPO and Cuba would be 2 clubs that are mainstream but sometimes bring in the occasional "club" dj.
    For Techno and other non-mainstream stuff check out
    The Junction (Upstairs in An Púcán)
    Downstairs in the Cellar Bar
    De Burgos
    Club Áras na nGael
    Bar 903 (late bar with dancefloor & no cover charge) - particularly Fridays
    The nights are not usally under 1 umbrella name but you'll see plenty of posters/flyers around in advance anyways. Myspace is your friend for more info.
    This could be some of what you are looking for www.lowerstate.ie

If you are looking to avoid "chart" music stay away from the following:
    Central Park (CPs)
    Halo
    Karma (occasional house nights though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The Warwick (can be good, maybe not for techno though)

Avoid at all costs:

CPs (meat market and haunting site for checked shirts and white stilettos -unless you like that sort of thing)

Bar8 might also be an alternative (no club, but nice bar with dancefloor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Bit of a small renaissance in Galway underground clubbing of late (after the last few years spent in the doldrums of post-Celtic Ireland)... check out Saturdays @ Cellar downstairs with 091, 110th Street & the Disconauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Upstairs in the Pucan would be where you would head..check out their neon flyers about town..

I've heard Twirlys is good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Best thing to do is bookmark this page for future 'club' events round Galway town
    http://galwaypartyguide.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gemma, ignore all previous posts.
    The place for you is... Stage Door!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

All depends on your age really..
    If you're over 25 probably GPO , Karma will be too young for you..
    Cuba, Halo and CP's are ok ...
    I think De Burgos is pretty cool at the weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

What kind of techno are you in to? Me on the decks in my bedroom is the best place for techno!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Really does seem like there has been a renaissance in EDM in Galway the last few years, Marco V has played in the GPO, and I hear Alex Kidd will/has played somewhere in Galway, and there's a dance festival in Galway called Life. I'm not sure whether Life is good or not, doesn't seem to have much trance, which is my preferred dance music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ahbarfilez

and what about heavy metal places?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

ahbarfilez wrote: »

You'd be better off staying at home listening to that noise

What he means is, there are heavy metal bands playing occasionally in Roísin Dubh (I think)... not into that type of music, so i'm not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I've heard Twirlys is good

Twirleys rocks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Really does seem like there has been a renaissance in EDM in Galway the last few years, Marco V has played in the GPO, and I hear Alex Kidd will/has played somewhere in Galway, and there's a dance festival in Galway called Life. I'm not sure whether Life is good or not, doesn't seem to have much trance, which is my preferred dance music...

From what I know, life is mainly psytrance/goa for the dance music, and then a sort of 'world music' main stage (which looks like a random hodgepodge of acts).

I've heard it's class, but it'll skew far more hippie-ish (as psytrance and world music skew) and 'healing tent' -ish - so I'd go if that's a vibe you're into. I'd expect a different scene from the planet love-style events.

I'll be going, despite it being far from my musical tastes at this point. I use to love me some psytrance back when I was a wee one, and still pop into a campout/festival once a year or so as nostalgic buzz.

• Advertisement

Sally Longs is basically it. Occasional events in de burgos or other venues about town.

tristanc wrote: »
    From what I know, life is mainly psytrance/goa for the dance music, and then a sort of 'world music' main stage (which looks like a random hodgepodge of acts).

I've heard it's class, but it'll skew far more hippie-ish (as psytrance and world music skew) and 'healing tent' -ish - so I'd go if that's a vibe you're into. I'd expect a different scene from the planet love-style events.

I'll be going, despite it being far from my musical tastes at this point. I use to love me some psytrance back when I was a wee one, and still pop into a campout/festival once a year or so as nostalgic buzz.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. Not really into Hippy Trance, more into Uplifting and Techno trance meself... won't be able to make it into planetlove this year as I'll be in Amsterdam!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Defineatly GPO for you, Its not that classy of a place.
    You dont have to dress up, trainers and a hoodie and you would get in!

But they do get good DJ'S in on Fridays, such as Marco V, Alex Kidd, Lisa Lashes...etc.

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks for the info. Not really into Hippy Trance, more into Uplifting and Techno trance meself... won't be able to make it into planetlove this year as I'll be in Amsterdam!! :D

Well, you can't go wrong with Amsterdam. Well, I guess you can go very wrong with Amsterdam, but that's the point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Digital Bubbleb

xxGemmaxx wrote: »
    Hey, Im moving to galway next month,

Can anyone recommend what are the good nightclubs in galway
    and where should I avoid.

I'm mainly into techno by the way......

June is shaping up nicely for techno in Galway:

01 June - Dave Clarke & Sunil Sharpe in The Black Box

13 June - Secret Cinema [Live] in the Cellar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Vic (Bottom of Eyre Square)
    Richardsons (Top of Eyre Square on the corner across road from Club Cuba).
    Sally Longs on Wednesdays? I think the pre-CP legion of inane cum flakes take it over on Thursdays.
    Not a whole lot else that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 drummeroisin

gotta be cuba downstairs good tunes up stairs mad head bangin stuff but pop rock mostly ****in rocks !! GPO = hellhole place for scobes and very very drunk people!!

Twirly's is the only place to be!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Twirly's is the only place to be!:)
    :rolleyes:

Shirt lifters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

po0k wrote: »
    ...legion of inane cum flakes...

Phrase of 2008 right there...

Advertisement