Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Rifle Advice!

Options
  • 01-05-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All

Recently had the urge to start shooting again. Used to do it as a kid with dad but I just found out he gave his .22 away years ago!

So im looking for a new rifle for Rabbits, targets, plinking and possibly a fox or two.

Anyway- im looking at duffys website (shoot.ie) and am torn between:

1) CZ 453 style 22LR
    2)walther G22
    3)Marlin 917VSF .17 HMR

should i stick with a 22LR for a first rifle ? (cheap ammo ect)

Or go for something a bit bigger for an all rounder? .223 for instance?

Also- Can you buy these guns pre theraded for a moderator?

Finally- What is the best 1) Scope 2) Moderator and 3) Bipod for a small caliber rifle?

And better to buy the above accecories in IRL or US /UK ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Stick with a .22lr - definitely.
    A Walther G22 would not be my first choice for a beginner. For plinking and the like, Rovi has one and says it's grand for that. But for learning to shoot, I'd say the CZ is the better choice.

And to be honest, I'd start off with just iron sights for the first while. You don't need to see stuff four hundred yards away when the objective is to learn how to handle the gun safely on a range where everything's in arm's reach. Get the rifle, do some target shooting on a range with iron sights, then get the scope, then start thinking about rabbits and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Besides, aren't bullpups (eg G22) restricted under the new SI as of- wow, today actually :eek:

That new SI is not in force today Jose, it's been put on hold. See the Rumour Control thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

Thanks for the replies guys.

So am i correct in thinking the CZ style has no Iron sights? Could they be fitted withiut changing barrell ? If not would you recomend the CZ 452 lux?

When is the Bull pup restriction coming into effect?
    Hmm might try to buy one before then as i Love the bull pup design and the short overall legnth would make it a fantastic backpack gun (camping, canoeing and such).

So anyone have any other recommendations for a first 22 LR rifle ?

Oh yeah- would you recommend new or second hand ? the 22's seem cheap enough new...........

Also- can you get CZ rifles threaded for moderator straight frm the shop ? Does this shorten overall barrell legnth?

The 453 doesn't have iron sights Magnus, but the 452 Scout (if you're smallish :D), Lux and FS all do, and so does the 513 Basic if you want to save money (it's about $270 to the 452 Lux's $400).

• Advertisement

Now thats very cheap: Is 513 Basic a good accurate rifle ?

Do duffy's sell it?

Never shot the 513 Magnus. A 452 once or twice, which the 513 is supposed to be a cheaper version of (as in, less expensive wood for the stock, no chequering, that sort of thing). The 452 wasn't too bad, and I know a lot of people like 'em.

Put it this way - $270 dollars should come to €250 by the time it gets here. Chicken feed it isn't, but if it turns out to be bad:
    • you've not lost a huge amount
    • you can still learn safe gun handling with a rifle that isn't a tack driver
    • even the best CZ 45x series rifle is not going to be as good as an Anschutz or other target rifle for accuracy
    • and you'd be moving on later anyway so donate the rifle to your local club and enjoy a lot of goodwill for not much money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

Hi Magnus.
    For me the only choice of the rifles mentioned is any version of the cz 452s .22lr
    They are a much superior quality rifle to the merlins and the walter is a joke Questionable reliability poor accuracy and military design .22lr? . Fit a brooks trigger kit to a your cz and it will shoot probably better than you ever ever can.
    And you can pass it on to your own son.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Magnus,
    For what it is worth,if you were looking for a "camping/backpacking survival type"gun.Iwould suggest trying for a Charter Arms/ AR7 type rifle.While not the most accurate yoke in the world,it was designed from the ground up to be used around water[floats assembled or stored in it's stock].Or get the CZ,if it is made in stainless with a plastic stock.No worries about rust or it getting banged up.
    The Walther G22 is a fun gun/plinker.Rovi is the man to talk to about it,but some folks seem to have horror stories aplenty with it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

The AR7's a nifty piece of kit for those kayaking in the wilderness or bush flying in Alaska, but I don't think I'd recommend them as a first rifle for a beginner. Start simple, then move on to the more esoteric stuff.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the replies so far all- I'm going with CZ (the only sensible choice really :D )

Ok so i have narrowed the choice down to 3 rifles- want to decide soon so I can put down a deposit and get the serial number to get my application in asap

CZ 452 Lux- http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30 Pros: Iron sights (good for learning to shoot and if scope gets damaged)

Cons: Heavier, wood more likely to get damaged/ scratched, Looks very old fashioned compared to the CZ synthetics.

CZ 452 Style/ Silhouette- http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_25&products_id=90 Pros: Synthetic stock (lighter, more durable), stainless barrel, Looks great.

Cons: No Iron sights.

So this is the issue: I prefer the CZ style / silhouette as they are Synthetic, lightweight , durable modern looking but no iron sights.

The CZ lux has the Iron sights but don't like the wood stock.

What do you think: How often does anyone use the Iron sights on their 22LR?
    Can you hunt with them?

To the Style / Silhouette owners: do you ever miss the Iron sights?

Advertisement