Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avionics tech Looking for a start

• 01-05-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am a fully time served aircraft mechanic (avionics) with the royal navy for 4 1/2 years i moved to ireland at the end of last year and found it very difficult to find a job in the industry due to my lack of commercial (civillian) experience. I got offered a job at shannon aerospace however the money was bad low 20K area and i couldnt afford this sort of drop.

I am living in the dublin area and for work i have had to move into the electrical area of work on facilities management. I was due to start my Jaa 66 B2 license in the uk but since moving here and being unable to find a job i thought it would be rather pointless doing this as im not in the industry and my experience is not being used especially with the cost of it all.

I am really looking for information on any short term familiarisation courses or anything that would make my CV look more appealing to civillian aircraft companies?

cheers

Mat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Check your PM's....just emailed you some details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Hopefully Celtic Mech has sorted you. But just a couple of suggestions. Until you get an aviation position. Have you considered places like IBM and Intel etc for possible Technician jobs. They often take on people with technical backgrounds. It can tide you over and is reasonably well paid.

Also given that you were RN, presumably it involved helicopters. You might try the all the heli outfits. One place I do know that does avionics work is Executive Helicopters in Galway. A bit far from Dublin I know. But an option.

Good luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mat9486

Hi there.... I was actually a tech working on Harrier Gr7 /T10 and was involved in the JUMP upgrade to converison to GR9 not sure if this will mean anything to you though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

LOL, Actually it does, being a bit of an aerosexual and taking an interest in some of the more arcane aspects of aviation.

Harriers? Well they're relatives of helicopters.

Don't give up trying to get back into aviation. Remember in this country and aviation generally. It's all about contacts, who you know. Try and visit a few places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement