Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed with AIB, should I complain

Options
  • 01-05-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭

As stated in another thread, 2 weeks ago I went into my local branch where the lady said I could get an ATM only card which she duly ordered and cancelled my dual atm/laser (I Don't want a laser card). Anyways, today still no sign of my card and the dual card cancels Mon so ring the branch where the lady rings card services for me. Card was issued on 21st yet then says it got issued but doesn't exist as they don't issue atm only anymore. My anger was that would my dual card have cancelled and no new one arrive or even ring me to say i wouldn't be getting it. Absolutely appalling that they didn't ring me about it.
    Also, is it against the rules to issue dual cards only i.e. I signed up to a current account many years ago where they issue an atm card. Now you can't get them anymore, can they just do that? Is it like microsoft years ago where they were forcing you to get 2 of their products?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TheDriver wrote: »
    As stated in another thread, 2 weeks ago I went into my local branch where the lady said I could get an ATM only card which she duly ordered and cancelled my dual atm/laser (I Don't want a laser card). Anyways, today still no sign of my card and the dual card cancels Mon so ring the branch where the lady rings card services for me. Card was issued on 21st yet then says it got issued but doesn't exist as they don't issue atm only anymore. My anger was that would my dual card have cancelled and no new one arrive or even ring me to say i wouldn't be getting it. Absolutely appalling that they didn't ring me about it.
    Also, is it against the rules to issue dual cards only i.e. I signed up to a current account many years ago where they issue an atm card. Now you can't get them anymore, can they just do that? Is it like microsoft years ago where they were forcing you to get 2 of their products?

People make mistakes and if you were working behind a customer service desk in a bank you'd understand why too. Not wanting to make excuses but it happens. Anyhow I don't see the big deal with having a laser card. If you must move bank, BOI customers enjoy 3 types of ATM card - BOI ATM only, All Bank ATM's (with Cirrus) and Laser (with Maestro / Cirrus).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If your unhappy, complain. I don't think AIB read treads here, so best to tell them and get some happyiness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I can see how you are annoyed with the fact that they made a mistake. AIB (as with all banks) have a complaint's department. If you feel that strongly about it, drop them a line.

But, as stepbar said, I don't see why you wouldn't want a Maestro card. What's wrong with the extra functionality (it's not like they are charging you extra for it!). Worst case scenario - don't use it it as a Debit card and continue queuing at the ATM to withdraw cash before handing that cash over to the person at the till instead of just using the card at the till and getting cashback when you need it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why? Ok, whatif someone steals it while I am abroad, uses it and money gone from my account (and It does happen), Yes you get the money back but it takes few weeks before the bank verifies the fraud. Mostly, the fact that I cannot have it not used which the bank confirmed cannot be done.
    Regarding the card, much more that a mistake i.e. they were to issue me with a new card but instead of saying "oh, better ring him to let him know", they just didn't issue the new card and i would have been stuck with a cancelled card and no way to get cash from next Monday. I can't get to a bank when they are open usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

TheDriver wrote: »
    Why? Ok, whatif someone steals it while I am abroad, uses it and money gone from my account (and It does happen), Yes you get the money back but it takes few weeks before the bank verifies the fraud. Mostly, the fact that I cannot have it not used which the bank confirmed cannot be done.

There is no increased risk of this with Laser/Maestro, this can happen with standard ATM cards, in fact they are less secure as they have strip only and no chip.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Do complain if you feel that you got something other than what you requested. It's no harm to ensure that the banks are held to the same merciless standards as they apply to their customers. Anecdotally they rarely accept mistakes on the customers side as an excuse.

I think the OPs fear is that a laser can be used to rack up more offline debts than you can incurr by using a pure cashcard. Maybe (it's possible) I'm wrong - but seeing as a lot of laser transactions are batched a stolen/cloned card could rack up more debt through purchases than a straightforward max withdrawal on a cashcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks parsi, thats indeed my fear. Banks seem to say that chip and pin is the great secure way but in reality in makes it safer for them as any hint of you giving your pin out etc and they will not be held responsible. Someone can take your laser and use it online or abroad and its a lot harder to get your money back than say with visa etc.
    Its a matter of choice, they should offer combined and seperate cards to customers like other banks.
    The complaint is merely over the fact that they're system sees an error in a request for a customer yet just does nothing about it. imagine if you ran a shop and ordered stock and it just never arrived coz their computer found an error but they just never bothered to contact you, you wouldn't be too happy about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

AIB said when they issued the dual cards originally that you could only use them for ATMs if you wanted (and thus would only pay the ATM card stamp duty rate and not the Laser card one). I understand that you have concerns about Laser cards but at worst all AIB are guilty of is mis-information (bad training and therefore less than impressive customer service), they are still providing you with an ATM card (per the terms of your original account), just under a different guise. They are offering above the minimum requirements of your account agreement (i.e. an ATM card with an additional Laser functionality).

I think you should complain about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a constructive response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ifwah

I think you should complain,not that your going to get anything out of them but at least your getting your point across.Also you dont have to use your card as a laser card,if you want you only have to use it as an atm card and wont be charged ay extra.I think if you used it as a laser card youd be amazed at how handy it is,and it doesnt work like a credit card in the way that you can only spend the money thats in your account.As regards fraud on your account,its more likely to happen through an atm machine than it being used as a laser card.

Advertisement