Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting initial build costs...help pls

• 01-05-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Ok so I know this probably sounds like a right ditzy question but how do you go about getting initial costings in place for a new build?

Basically we've seen a site we're interested in with full planning already on it - however we'd need to know how much it'll cost to build (by direct labour). If I was to start ringing the various trades people at this stage, what level of detail/plans etc would they need to be able to quote me? Would they need full sets of architects plans or could we get away with the basic plans we've gotten from the estate agents (gives measurements of all rooms etc).

I'm worried that if I can't get proper costings now and we buy the site thinking it'll cost X amount to build based on general per ft costs, and then it turns out to be twice as much and we can't get the mortgage.....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

If the site already has planning you should have a drawing sufficient enough for all trades to price you blocks, plastering roofing windows plumbing electrician and so on you just have to decide on the specs you want for plumbing and electrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

If you ask a tradesperson they will tell you pretty quick if your drawings are upto scratch.

Then just add up all the costs add on on 10%++ (add on more if you want lol) and cry. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

whats the square footage of the proposed house.
    could you just use the old formula of 110 euro per square foot as a quick quide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

kceire wrote: »
    whats the square meterage of the proposed house.
    could you just use the old formula of 110 euro per square meter as a quick quide?

Hmmm, see I don't like the figure that comes out at so I don't want to use that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kceire wrote: »
    whats the square meterage of the proposed house.
    could you just use the old formula of 110 euro per square meter as a quick quide?
    Per square foot I think you mean :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

muffler wrote: »
    Per square foot I think you mean :)

opps, my bad, thanks muffler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

110 euro per square foot

Does that usually include land or is that usually separate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

110 euro per square meter

Does that usually include land or is that usually separate?
    That figure should read 110 euro per square foot. The price of the site would obviously be over and above this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

That figure should read 110 euro per square foot. The price of the site would obviously be over and above this.

sorry ye, just typed before i read back over it, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi All,

Thanks for the info so far - am just in the very early stages of a new build and am just wondering if the €110 per sq ft is meant to be the absolute final total figure - ie. floor, tiles, garden gnomes and a cat snoozing on the sitting room windowsill ?

Thanks ;),

Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi all

The difficulty in this is that any averaged per sq. ft. or per. sq. m. figure is entirely dependent on the location, style, build standard and method, specification and finishes selected for the project. For example if you decide to put in a heat pump you'll signifcantly increase the capital cost with a (hopeful) long term payback in reduced operating costs for DHW and heating. If you need site surveys for percolation etc. that's hundreds spent before you put a spade in the ground.

Sinnerboy's guide price link is probably a good starting point - remember that there has been a significant tightening of building regulations which will increase costs - and raw materials are all getting more expensive to source and transport. For info we used a guide figure of €1400 per sq.m. two years ago (€128 per sq.ft.) and we've probably come in above that figure at about €140.

Don't want to put you off at all but you need to go into this with your eyes open and be realistic and honest with yourself.

SSE

Advertisement